Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1060810 - 10/08/08 03:15 PM Second Hand Anyone?
opsoff Offline
Diamond Poster
opsoff
Probably at the Dentist
I've always been big into buying home goods, particular small furniture at second hand stores and yard sales. I like the idea of being able to make it over in my own style without originally paying a large amount for it and feeling bad for changing something brand new. Recently, I've been drawn into our local Goodwill stores and browsing racks. One trip landed me 2 pairs of never worn dress pants from "The Limited" and a pair of Editor pants for "Express" that looked brand new for a total of $10.50. Money's been tight for us because I've choosen to continue fostering (I pay for food, litter and toys) and the option of taking a second job is highly frowned upon at the bank I work for. I was wondering if anyone else here has drifted in that direction?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1060820 - 10/08/08 03:19 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? opsoff
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
i love second hand stores, consignments shops and that type of thing. there are very few in this area though. i like goodwill shops but finding one that isn't filthy is tough. if you do find a nice one, i'm all for it!!

Return to Top
#1060823 - 10/08/08 03:19 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? opsoff
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
I love second hand shopping...sometimes you can find some really cool stuff...and heck, if you wash/dry clean it...it's yours Good luck treasure hunting!

BTDub...I bought a 25" TV @ Goodwill for $20...works like a charm...

Return to Top
#1060833 - 10/08/08 03:26 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? Lisa_Bates
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I search for collectible old bicycles at second hand stores; one minor find, but nothing of note yet.

I just can't bring myself to wear something second hand; something about it just freaks me out. It's probably irrational, but for some reason, I just can't do it.

Return to Top
#1060836 - 10/08/08 03:28 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? MB Guy
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
You can find lots of goodies around here if you head to the rigth side of town. We have a place called Daisey Exchange that is jeans/shirts from mall stores. I got my daughter a pair of gap jeans for $10 and they were new!!!

Return to Top
#1060837 - 10/08/08 03:28 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? MB Guy
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM

<-------------- Second hand store, yard/garage sale junkie

Return to Top
#1060843 - 10/08/08 03:33 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? Lisa_Bates
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I just bought a beautiful brand-new-looking designer wool suit for $24.00, 3 silk blouses for $5.00 each, and a gorgeous brand new wool blazer with the tags still on it for $7.00 at a resale shop this past Saturday; I dropped them all at the dry cleaner on the way home, so there's no "ick" factor because the previous owner's and the store's potential dirt never entered my home! The best part is, all the items for sale are donated to the store, and the money paid is donated to a women's domestic violence shelter. I'm thrilled with my extremely inexpensive new work clothes and so pleased that the money I spent will be donated to a worthy cause. I also promised the store employees I would collect all the plastic grocery store bags and dry cleaner wire hangers I still have lurking at home and bring them over to the store as a donation (they ask you to do so as they ring you up), so I get rid of that cluttering stuff out of my house too, and the items get a second life. All in all, a very positive experience and I got the fun of shopping without spending too much. I'll definitely be going back to this store!

Return to Top
#1060845 - 10/08/08 03:35 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? ~Special K~
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: ~Special K~

<-------------- Second hand store, yard/garage sale junkie

Ditto that...especially for the Pre-K child that LOVES finger paints... The local Target donates NEW stuff that doesn't sell off the endcaps to our local GoodWill store - I found some great swimming gear at the end of last summer.

I also have been know to buy clothes for the bear on eBay.

Return to Top
#1060850 - 10/08/08 03:39 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? QCL
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Hmmm... there's a Goodwill AND a Salvation just up the street from my office. I might have to do some (window) shopping

I know over the years I have given TONS to Goodwill...lots of brand name stuff and all in really good condition. I wonder what others have donated???

Return to Top
#1060864 - 10/08/08 03:47 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? Dip
opsoff Offline
Diamond Poster
opsoff
Probably at the Dentist
Originally Posted By: Dip
Hmmm... there's a Goodwill AND a Salvation just up the street from my office. I might have to do some (window) shopping

I know over the years I have given TONS to Goodwill...lots of brand name stuff and all in really good condition. I wonder what others have donated???

It's really hit and miss here. I apparently came in at a really good time. You really have to look hard and try to ignore the 80's acid wash jeans and horrible 70's sweaters that tend to abound. There's one just off of JMU's campus that's like Christmas when the college kids leave each semester. They end up dumping garbage bags full of clothes that they apparently don't want mom and dad to know they spent all their money on. A lot of it still has the tags attached.

Return to Top
#1060872 - 10/08/08 03:51 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? QCL
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Also consider applicance and furniture outlet stores (i.e. Sears, Penny's).

Example: Needed new washer and dryer. Sears store had the washer alone at the time for about $825. At the Sears outlet stopre/warehouse the same washer was there, along with the dryer, and on stands (front loads), for $750 total! Never had been used and the pins were still int he wash tub to prove it. the reasont hey were returned... the side of the washer was scratched during deliverly!! Hello, its going in my laundry room!! I don't care if there is a scratch on the side that you will not even see!!!

Example: Needed new dining room buffet and hutch. Found exactly what I wanted at JCPenny's Furniture outlet, but the buffet had a huge gouge on the top of it, and the hutch sitting next to it. Once you put the huth on, it would hide the gouge completly. So I learned the store rules (new items in the floor Tuesdays and Thursdays, after it in on the floor for three weeks they cut the price another 20%), I took and hid the glass shelves from the hutch in the buffet, and after three weeks snatched them both up for about 35% of their original retail price.

Example: Needed new standing freezer. Store had it for $500, the Sears out let had it for about $270 because it was "broken". It wasn't broken, it simply wasn't balanced correctly because they had it set on a floor with missing tiles and didn;t bother to adjust the feet. I griped about a scratch on the side of it and got another $30 off!

Return to Top
#1060884 - 10/08/08 03:57 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? #Just Jay
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I shop consignment, Ebay and private groups for kid's clothes! I sell, too.

Return to Top
#1060910 - 10/08/08 04:14 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? E.E.G.B
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
We have a great kids consignment store I need to hit this weekend. My little one went from a 4T to a 6 in a month!!!

It's gettin cold and she's very limited. LOL

Return to Top
#1060918 - 10/08/08 04:19 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? E.E.G.B
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Found and bought a large (about 3 feet long) white oak basket at a yard sale this past Saturday for $5.00. I've collected old baskets for years. This one has to be worth well over $100.00. I've had several people tell me that they'd double what I paid for it if I'd sell it to them. Yeah, right!

Return to Top
#1060944 - 10/08/08 04:32 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? Bagweaver
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
One of the ladies from my church runs one of our local goodwill stores. She has a large collection of antique furniture that could cost a great deal of money elsewhere that folks have donated. I've been thinking about going there to look for a couple of items. The other store accepts donated items and sells them to raise money for the shelter for abused women. They have some fabulous clothes rather cheap. We donate our clothes all the time. With Kid Wonder entering her growth spurt, I'm about broke just keeping up. We'll be looking there next trip.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1060973 - 10/08/08 04:55 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? waldensouth
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I love it on HGTV when they find something at a second hand store and refurbish the item. As a matter of fact, I'm thinking of trying something on some old end tables my husband has. He loves them but I think they are hideous and outdated <believe me - they are>.

Return to Top
#1060996 - 10/08/08 05:07 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? Skittles
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Used stuff = ultimate recycling. I love hunting for bargains in the local thrift shops. I also like freecycle.org - as the name implies, everything is FREE. The purpose of the group is to keep stuff out of landfills. You wouldn't believe what people give away to someone willing to pick it up. Many of the furnishings and knicknacks at our place up north were from people on freecycle.

Return to Top
#1061008 - 10/08/08 05:17 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? hmdagal
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Garage/Yard sales are our Saturday morning habit. We have picked up so many nice things. Our sons have furnished their college rooms and now houses this way (along with furniture people put out for trash - some really nice stuff gets set out every week).

I have found Swarovski, Orrefors, Baldwin Brass, Lenox for a dollar or two.

We have gotten so many Christmas/Halloween decorations for next to nothing. Right now I'm looking for a set of dishes and a bed (not mattresses) for our cabin. I will definitely check into freecycle hmdagal.

We've also found that church sponsored flea markets are great places to find things. They need to get rid of everything that was donated, so the prices are very reasonable.

Return to Top
#1061022 - 10/08/08 05:27 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? Snow Bunny
opsoff Offline
Diamond Poster
opsoff
Probably at the Dentist
I had completely forgotten about freecycle.org, thanks for the reminder! Ends up there is a group in the town I work in. I love making flower arrangements out of old dishes. For example, this weekend I bought an old camp mug, an old gravy bowl and an old metal canister and they will become flower arrangement for Christmas gifts.

Return to Top
#1061027 - 10/08/08 05:36 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? #Just Jay
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Just Jay
Also consider applicance and furniture outlet stores (i.e. Sears, Penny's).

Example: Needed new washer and dryer. Sears store had the washer alone at the time for about $825. At the Sears outlet stopre/warehouse the same washer was there, along with the dryer, and on stands (front loads), for $750 total! Never had been used and the pins were still int he wash tub to prove it. the reasont hey were returned... the side of the washer was scratched during deliverly!! Hello, its going in my laundry room!! I don't care if there is a scratch on the side that you will not even see!!!

Example: Needed new dining room buffet and hutch. Found exactly what I wanted at JCPenny's Furniture outlet, but the buffet had a huge gouge on the top of it, and the hutch sitting next to it. Once you put the huth on, it would hide the gouge completly. So I learned the store rules (new items in the floor Tuesdays and Thursdays, after it in on the floor for three weeks they cut the price another 20%), I took and hid the glass shelves from the hutch in the buffet, and after three weeks snatched them both up for about 35% of their original retail price.

Example: Needed new standing freezer. Store had it for $500, the Sears out let had it for about $270 because it was "broken". It wasn't broken, it simply wasn't balanced correctly because they had it set on a floor with missing tiles and didn;t bother to adjust the feet. I griped about a scratch on the side of it and got another $30 off!

^^^^ cheapskate ^^^^

Return to Top
#1061028 - 10/08/08 05:37 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? opsoff
A_G Offline
10K Club
Isn't JJ just full of examples today?

Return to Top
#1061032 - 10/08/08 05:39 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? A_G
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Better than being full of Snap!

Return to Top
#1061037 - 10/08/08 05:45 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? #Just Jay
Queen Bee Offline
Diamond Poster
Queen Bee
CT
I love consignment stores. I always find decent brands at the Goodwill near my house - Express, Old Navy, Gap, J. Crew. I buy a lot of things second hand for my daughter - she grows out of everything so quick!

Return to Top
#1061046 - 10/08/08 06:01 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? Queen Bee
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
Cool thing is it's not looked down on now (like when I was in HS). My daughter gets all her jean consignment, everyone knows, no one cares.

Return to Top
#1061054 - 10/08/08 06:05 PM Re: Second Hand Anyone? cheekEE
A_G Offline
10K Club
Heck, the 'new' clothes you buy at retail stores today are in worse condition that used!

I could not find a pair of 'non-distressed' jeans last time I went shopping...

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2