Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1067009 - 10/20/08 03:36 AM Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
When President-in-Waiting Obama names his first Supreme Court appointment, will Bernadine Dohrn be on his short list? Just a little mental exercise here - assume that he felt she was qualified, then reach a conclusion about whether her her background would preclude her selection? Why or why not? Discuss.

Note, I believe this is the first thread I've started since one was edited for political disagreement with a moderator. (I know, it's still hard to believe, isn't it???) We'll see if this one can survive the censors.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1067029 - 10/20/08 12:44 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Jokerman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
yes because just like obama has hinted that bill ayers is being considered for secretary of education, he will also consider dohrn for scotus.[/sarcasm] j, i thought that you were smarter than americanthinker logic.

Return to Top
#1067059 - 10/20/08 01:39 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Hated By Some
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
So, by using sarcasm, I take it that you don't think she'd be considered, assuming she was qualified. Why not?

Return to Top
#1067063 - 10/20/08 01:44 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Jokerman
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
wonder whom he would recommend for Chaplain?

Return to Top
#1067074 - 10/20/08 01:52 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Jokerman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
So, by using sarcasm, I take it that you don't think she'd be considered, assuming she was qualified. Why not?

because, if you are referring to her judicial/academic/etc credentials, there are 100s more females like her. plus, i think that obama prefers current judges more than academics as far as appointments go.

Return to Top
#1067095 - 10/20/08 02:13 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Hated By Some
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
What *are* the qualifications for becoming a Supreme Court justice?

Return to Top
#1067099 - 10/20/08 02:19 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Hrothgar Geiger
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
political approval. that's it.

Return to Top
#1067105 - 10/20/08 02:21 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Hated By Some
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Qualifications for Supreme Court
The Constitution does not list or specify any formal qualifications to become a justice on the Supreme Court, just like it does not specify the number of justices that make up the Supreme Court. Our Founding Fathers left those decisions to Congress. However, from the beginning of the Court,, justices have all been lawyers and many have had legal and political careers prior to serving on the court. An "informal" qualification is that the President consult with the Senators from the state that a prospective justice is from, before making his/her nomination official. The Senate must confirm appointments to the Court so they usually take into account the legal expertise of the person nominated by the President.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_qualifications_of_a_Supreme_Court_Justice

Basically Ron is right

Return to Top
#1067139 - 10/20/08 02:52 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Hrothgar Geiger
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian
What *are* the qualifications for becoming a Supreme Court justice?

Irrelevant. The question is, assuming President-in-Waiting Obama felt she was qualified as a jurist, would he see anything in her background that would cause him to not nominate her? Ron's refusing to answer - you too?

Return to Top
#1067246 - 10/20/08 04:58 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Jokerman
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
I think he would not nominate her in his first term because he knows that all but the most blindly fanatic supporters would see that as a huge strike against a second Obama term.

Return to Top
#1067301 - 10/20/08 05:40 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic rainman
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Did they say yet what position Colin Powell is going to get?

Return to Top
#1067331 - 10/20/08 06:15 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic kms
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Joe the Crafter

Basically Ron is right

Take it back!!!!

Return to Top
#1067346 - 10/20/08 06:24 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic QCL
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
You would not believe how hard it was to choke out those words. I may be scarred for life....

Return to Top
#1067349 - 10/20/08 06:30 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic rainman
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: rainman
all but the most blindly fanatic supporters would see that as a huge strike against a second Obama term.

Why?

Return to Top
#1067364 - 10/20/08 06:52 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Jokerman
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
I think a lot of democrats (as well as republicans) would agree that nominating a terrorist (or a former terrorist if you prefer) for the S.Ct. would cross the line. A nomination of her in the first term would likely (IMO) give rise to a democratic challenger for the nomination for second term, and the challenge would stand a good chance of success.

Return to Top
#1067400 - 10/20/08 07:30 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic rainman
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I think he would not nominate her in his first term because he knows that all but the most blindly fanatic supporters would see that as a huge strike against a second Obama term.

redundant

Return to Top
#1067401 - 10/20/08 07:32 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Pale Rider
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Originally Posted By: Joe the Mod

me!

Return to Top
#1067408 - 10/20/08 07:37 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Miscuit
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Originally Posted By: Ms. Biscuit

me!

rabble rouser!!!

Return to Top
#1067524 - 10/20/08 09:08 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic rainman
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I think a lot of democrats (as well as republicans) would agree that nominating a terrorist (or a former terrorist if you prefer) for the S.Ct. would cross the line. A nomination of her in the first term would likely (IMO) give rise to a democratic challenger for the nomination for second term, and the challenge would stand a good chance of success.

How do a lot of Democrats (as well as Republicans) feel about a candidate attending a fundraiser/meet-the-candidate event held on the candidate's behalf at the home of a terrorist (or former terrorist, if you prefer)? Would that cross the line?

Return to Top
#1067544 - 10/20/08 09:23 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Pale Rider
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Ms. Biscuit

me!

rabble rouser!!!

That's a good song!

Return to Top
#1067566 - 10/20/08 10:31 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Jokerman
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman

How do a lot of Democrats (as well as Republicans) feel about a candidate attending a fundraiser/meet-the-candidate event held on the candidate's behalf at the home of a terrorist (or former terrorist, if you prefer)? Would that cross the line?

I know how I feel about it. Apparently many others feel differently.

Return to Top
#1067907 - 10/21/08 05:02 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic rainman
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Apparently.

Return to Top
#1068709 - 10/22/08 06:55 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Jokerman
Mint Julep Offline
Diamond Poster
Mint Julep
Tennessee
When President-in-Waiting Obama names his first Supreme Court appointment, will Bernadine Dohrn be on his short list? Just a little mental exercise here - assume that he felt she was qualified, then reach a conclusion about whether her her background would preclude her selection? Why or why not? Discuss.

I didn't know there was going to be an essay section to the test!! I'm not prepared!! I don't even have my little blue book!!

Nominations require confirmations. If she got nominated, some folks would have confirm that to make it real. Do you really think she could get a confirmation? Do you really think it wouldn't be challenged? Are you on drugs?

Return to Top
#1068716 - 10/22/08 07:03 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Jokerman
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...

while he is admittedly a "former" terrorist, he is now a highly thought of professor, and the fact that he is unrepentant means nothing, he is just a professor, the fact that he should have bombed more means nothing, his is just a professor...

you see, if I say he is just a professor enough, nothing else matters. after all, he is just a professor

Return to Top
#1068719 - 10/22/08 07:07 PM Re: Against All Enemies, Foreign and Domestic Mint Julep
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: Mint Julep
...Are you on drugs?

My own antipathy for Joke aside, is this really appropriate?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2