Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#990720 - 07/09/08 02:46 PM Ledger or Collected Balance
lstark Offline
Gold Star
If interest begins to accrue no later than the business day we receive credit for the deposit of noncash items (for example checks)---is the the collected balance?

I'm getting confused on the two. Thanks.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#991612 - 07/10/08 02:50 AM Re: Ledger or Collected Balance lstark
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That is the collected balance.

Ledger balance is what is in the account after the deposit. Collected balance considers the float.

Return to Top
#1068771 - 10/22/08 07:42 PM Re: Ledger or Collected Balance rlcarey
lstark Offline
Gold Star
So to continue the conversation--if the bank chooses to accrue interest on the first business day after the day of deposit OR no later than the business day we receive credit for the item then the bank is using the Collected Balance. Is this correct? Thanks.

Return to Top
#1068795 - 10/22/08 07:57 PM Re: Ledger or Collected Balance lstark
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
The day you receive credit is using the collected balance. Using this option, you are not paying interest on the days the money is not collected from the FED.

Do you have accounts that pay interest from the first business day AFTER the day of deposit?

Return to Top
#1068972 - 10/23/08 12:38 AM Re: Ledger or Collected Balance BrendaC
lstark Offline
Gold Star
Yes, we do have accounts that accrue interest the first business day after the day of depost which would equal 1 day of float---is this still considered the collected balance?

Return to Top
#1068974 - 10/23/08 12:49 AM Re: Ledger or Collected Balance lstark
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Collected means the bank has received payment for the item...it has been collected. If it hasn't cleared yet, it is uncollected.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#1071534 - 10/27/08 08:49 PM Re: Ledger or Collected Balance Kathleen O. Blanchard
run4fun Offline
We are working on this issue too. I see that I can rely on an FRB availability schedule as my guide to determine when we receive credit for our deposits, so I'm looking at the Check Deposit Availability Schedule. (Is this correct?) And I see a term on the schedule that I can't define ~ what is the "deposit deadline date?"

Also...How are other bank's handling this?

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett