Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1069094 - 10/23/08 01:14 PM Driver's license in loan files
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
We have always taken the stance that we will not keep copies of driver's licenses in loan files for any purpose, but specifically from a fair lending point of view.

I am wondering what other opinions are regarding this as we have recently found out that a lot of banks do keep copies of IDs in loan files. We always were under the impression that it shouldn't be done.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1069121 - 10/23/08 01:27 PM Re: Driver's license in loan files J2C
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
We have taken the same stance and never include a copy of the borrower's driver license in the loan file. The loan officer is required, of course, to collect, record and verify the information for CIP purposes. This information is collected on the actual loan application and verified using the states driver license verification web site.

Outside of that, until we get the green light from regulators to keep a copy in the loan file, we aren't planning on doing it any time soon.

Return to Top
#1069155 - 10/23/08 01:52 PM Re: Driver's license in loan files Many Hats
tcredle Offline
100 Club
We attach a copy of the drivers license with our CIP form and have a separate file cabinet for this. We do this with every loan we close.

We do not put in our loan files.

Return to Top
#1069175 - 10/23/08 02:03 PM Re: Driver's license in loan files tcredle
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
Originally Posted By: tcredle
We attach a copy of the drivers license with our CIP form and have a separate file cabinet for this. We do this with every loan we close.

We do not put in our loan files.

Ok, you are retaining them for CIP purposes then. What size bank are you? We keep all of our CIP documents in the loan file, that is part of our issue.

Return to Top
#1069202 - 10/23/08 02:15 PM Re: Driver's license in loan files J2C
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
All of our CIP files are separate from our loan files and retained by our BSA Officer. One day we hope to begin imaging them.

Return to Top
#1069246 - 10/23/08 02:47 PM Re: Driver's license in loan files Bagweaver
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Ours are imaged and it wouldn't be unheard of to have a copy in the loan file. the FRB has had no issues with this. My theory is and has ALWAYS been (from a Fair Lending Stance)

"You want me to review for FL and I have NO IDEA of race, etc, so I have to gather my "evidence" based on sex instead...Now just who DOES have knowledge of race?...the LO, of course...they did the dang interview...Who needs a picture? and who is left "in the dark" so-to-speak....the reviewer, of course!" It's about the most ridiculous "requirement" I know of.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1069262 - 10/23/08 03:05 PM Re: Driver's license in loan files RR Joker
ktac MITCH Offline
Diamond Poster
ktac MITCH
Giant side of TX
See the BSA Exam manual - page 49 footnote 49.
Essentially, having a copy in the loan file is not in and of itself a violation but you should be able to demonstrate to examiners that you have policy / procedures / controls in place to prevent someone from using it for discriminatory purposes.
IE to prevent collections from pursuing repo sooner on protected class of people verses non-protected class.

Return to Top
#1069281 - 10/23/08 03:20 PM Re: Driver's license in loan files J2C
A_G Offline
10K Club
Our Bank does not keep copies of DLs in the loan file. However, the information is documented on the application and system for CIP purposes.

Return to Top
#1069284 - 10/23/08 03:25 PM Re: Driver's license in loan files J2C
Compli123 Offline
We do not keep a copy of the DL in the loan file, rather we keep a copy with their CIP, if it is a new customer.

Return to Top
#1069322 - 10/23/08 03:49 PM Re: Driver's license in loan files Compli123
Jon D Offline
Jon D
The Midwest
Countering the trend, we do maintain copies of the drivers license in our credit files and our federal regulator up to this point of time has expressed no concerns with what we are doing. In lock step with what ktac posted earlier, we do have procedures and controls in place to prevent someone from using it for discriminatory purposes. Namely we do not obtain a copy of the drivers license until at the of loan closing.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z