Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#107095 - 08/15/03 08:00 PM Auditing a nonexistent area?
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I am supposed to be doing an audit on collection items, but our bank doesn't really have any. We may see one a year, but even that is a long shot.

What do I do here? I've never before been told to audit something that doesn't exist.

Return to Top
Audit
#107096 - 08/15/03 08:57 PM Re: Auditing a nonexistent area?
Uncle_Milty Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
Perhaps a top-down approach similar to what the examiners use - review the written policies and procedures applicable to collection items to verify that all appropriate controls are in place, and verify that the appropriate personnel are familiar with the policies and procedures.

Return to Top
#107097 - 08/18/03 03:16 PM Re: Auditing a nonexistent area?
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Who is requiring the audit? Your supervisor, outside audit firm, or regulator? I could argue this one. If your schedule is as full as mine, this would be WAY DOWN on the audit scale.

If you are truly only getting one or two in a year, maybe an interview type of audit could be done to ensure that the person that would handle this is sufficiently knowledgeable on how to handle a collection item. I would do a memo to file on the results if you are comfortable with them and call it a fine day.

Return to Top
#107098 - 08/18/03 03:31 PM Re: Auditing a nonexistent area?
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I am considering throwing it in with the suspense items audit. At least that way, I could include it as an Item for review purposes without having a totally useless audit. Also, this would allow for expansion of the area in the future without it being overlooked.

Does this sound ok?

Return to Top
#107099 - 08/18/03 04:04 PM Re: Auditing a nonexistent area?
rexinaudit Offline
Gold Star
rexinaudit
New England
Yes, this would be a good way to keep collection items in your audit universe without wasting time on it now.

Return to Top
#107100 - 08/21/03 08:00 AM Re: Auditing a nonexistent area?
Joe Offline
Joe
Overseas
I would not call it an audit since the business unit was not created in the first place. I would call it a proposal, you could start by interviewing staff, understand the process, identify potential weakness and controls. You can also write an audit program

Return to Top
#107101 - 09/12/03 01:45 PM Re: Auditing a nonexistent area?
Risk Officer Offline
100 Club
Dallas
Quote:

Perhaps a top-down approach similar to what the examiners use - review the written policies and procedures applicable to collection items to verify that all appropriate controls are in place, and verify that the appropriate personnel are familiar with the policies and procedures.

I would agree with this approach, then follow up with a memo report (or memo to file) rather than a full blown audit report.

Be sure and keep it in your audit universe. Collections can be a high risk area. You would think that your very low volume of transactions would make this very low risk; however, the fact that you don't handle very many makes it higher risk as you are more likely to make a mistake. A large collection item improperly handled could bite you if, say, immediate credit is granted and you don't end up collecting on the item. I wouldn't blow this out of proportion, just make sure you have a procedure in place and that a knowledgagle teller or supervisor handles the collections.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z