Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1071243 - 10/27/08 04:19 PM Account opened for "Reward for Missing Person"
Lele Offline
Platinum Poster
Lele
In the Sun
The bank opened an account for a customer that has a missing daughter. The mother says that the money will be used as a reward for information. I rated this High Risk but what else should I do? Is the bank responsible for monitoring how the funds are used? What other information should the customer provide? They did get a EIN.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1071427 - 10/27/08 07:13 PM Re: Account opened for "Reward for Missing Person" Lele
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I would monitor how the funds are used in case there is something obvious that does not make sense.

I would expect to see checks out for expenses such as printers for flyers and brochures, and newspapers ads to find the missing person.

You have an EIN so I cannot think of anything else you need.... other than I think I would print newspaper articles to support the missing person story.

Return to Top
#1071561 - 10/27/08 09:13 PM Re: Account opened for "Reward for Missing Person" Lele
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If your "high risk" rating is connected to your AML system it does not belong on this account. The account carries legal and reputational risk for sure, but no BSA/AML red flags.

Note that Chapter 496 of Florida statutes contains explicit requirements for accounts where people are soliciting contributions from the public. Unless a formal trust and trustee are part of your package, you are probably going to have to unwind this.

Return to Top
#1071599 - 10/27/08 10:39 PM Re: Account opened for "Reward for Missing Person" Elwood P. Dowd
Lele Offline
Platinum Poster
Lele
In the Sun
By 'Unwind' are you saying to close this account?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z