Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#1071853 - 10/28/08 02:24 PM Family Struggles
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I don’t usually post in the couch, I like to think I’m strong enough to handle most anything on my own. I try to joke my way through most things and not take life too seriously.

However, our family learned that one of my older brothers is having a tough time from a recent job loss. Contrary to how I come across here, neither me nor my family are big drinkers and we’ve never had a sibling into drugs.

We found out that he has now been using cocaine and drinking a lot. I’m the baby of the family yet I’m the one closest to him and the one that most likely will be the strongest for him.

I think his wife is at her wits end and my nieces (one is my God daughter) are struggling. I have my own family to care for but I love my brother and don’t want to see this go any further.

I would appreciate any thoughts and prayers from you all as we struggle to get help and address this sooner than later. If nothing else, it was good to at least get something off my chest.

Return to Top
#1071866 - 10/28/08 02:41 PM Re: Family Struggles Peepers
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I know that you'll be there for your brother, but don't forget to take of yourself as well.

Return to Top
#1071869 - 10/28/08 02:43 PM Re: Family Struggles Sing A Little
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
You are in my thoughts and prayers, Peepers. I hope your brother can find some peace and a good program to help him get his life back on track. Tell your sister-in-law to get to an Al-Anon meeting so she can get some support and treatment for herself so she doesn't get lost in his problems.

Return to Top
#1071871 - 10/28/08 02:46 PM Re: Family Struggles MichelleDawn
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
You and your family are in my thoughts, tough times for all of you...

Return to Top
#1071885 - 10/28/08 02:59 PM Re: Family Struggles Retired DQ
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Mr. Peepers I am sending you loads of good thoughts and prayer. As MichelleDawn stated - Al-Anon meetings help more than the family of alcoholics and I also recommend that she attend meetings and any other family member.

Return to Top
#1071895 - 10/28/08 03:08 PM Re: Family Struggles Skittles
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
i'll give buddha's belly an extra rub for you, peepers.

Return to Top
#1071906 - 10/28/08 03:14 PM Re: Family Struggles kitten
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
Peepers, I'm not a prayer type person but I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts!

Return to Top
#1071907 - 10/28/08 03:16 PM Re: Family Struggles ~Special K~
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Prayers, Peeps. Sorry to hear about your brother. Losing a job can be a real blow to your self-esteem and lead to all kinds of destructive behaviors. Hopefully your brother will see the error of his ways and turn things around.

Return to Top
#1071910 - 10/28/08 03:17 PM Re: Family Struggles Skittles
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Take your brother on vacation, if you can. Getting him away from the current environment might help him gain some perspective, and probably would also give his wife & daughters a break from the stress. Have a fun time for a few days, someplace where he can get his mind off all the problems in his life and start thinking about happier opportunities. Best of luck to you all!

Return to Top
#1071917 - 10/28/08 03:20 PM Re: Family Struggles 'Lil Freak!
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Thoughts and prayers for all of you Peepers. We've been through it. It's not an easy road. I pray that you all have the strength you need to deal with this.

Return to Top
#1071953 - 10/28/08 04:00 PM Re: Family Struggles Snow Bunny
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Peepers-I am sorry to hear about your brothers problems. Be strong and hang in there. He can use someone right now.

Return to Top
#1071961 - 10/28/08 04:11 PM Re: Family Struggles TB 12
TINKerBell Offline
Power Poster
TINKerBell
Tiger's Den!
Prayers for you, your brother and your family. May you find the strength to help him through this struggle.

Return to Top
#1071969 - 10/28/08 04:23 PM Re: Family Struggles TINKerBell
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Take your sil to an Al-Anon meeting. You both will come away better able to deal with and help your brother.

Unfortunately, loosing one's job is all too commonplace in today's economic environment. As such, there's plenty of help out there. Surf the net. Contact your clergyman. I'm one of those who believes that you can do something besides just wait for your brother to hit rock bottom and decide to help himself. Yea, you're probably going to get him po'd at you. But angry is better than dead, imho.

Many prayers, Mr. Peepers. Please let us know when he's better.

Return to Top
#1071987 - 10/28/08 04:47 PM Re: Family Struggles Truffle Royale
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
Praying right now that God will give you direction in how you need to handle the situation. Also that He will protect your brother, sis-in-law, and their kiddos. I pray that He will use this situation to strengthen the character and faith of all involved. Don't lose hope. As long as there is breath, there is hope.

Jeremiah 29:11, I Peter 5:6-7, Romans 8:28

Return to Top
#1071993 - 10/28/08 04:53 PM Re: Family Struggles East Texas
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Prayers for all Mr. Peepers. The Alanon meeting suggestions are right on and will help you both. Help him but don't 'enable' him or do for him what he should do for himself. Love to you all!!

Return to Top
#1072036 - 10/28/08 05:48 PM Re: Family Struggles corkygirl
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
♥ you Peepers. You know I'm here for you.

Return to Top
#1072040 - 10/28/08 05:49 PM Re: Family Struggles corkygirl
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Prayers for you guys, Peeps. Sorry to hear of your family's struggles.

Return to Top
#1072554 - 10/29/08 02:31 PM Re: Family Struggles Mrs. Rizzo
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
So sorry to learn of your brother's difficulties, Peepers. I pray that he will come to learn the error of his ways and that your SIL and nieces will be strenthened. May God put the words in your mouth to help him!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1072571 - 10/29/08 02:46 PM Re: Family Struggles Mrs. Rizzo
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
Mr. Peepers...my heart breaks for your brother, his wife and kids...and you! My prayers are with you and your family my friend. As so many have already stated to you...don't give up hope and be proactive. And while he may lash out at you in pain and anger...he will never stop loving you for loving him.

No doubt he and the family will need some professional help. Find a counselor or clergy...somebody he can go and talk through these things as soon as possible. And while you may not always have the answer for the kids (for all those inevitable "why" questions)...I can tell without a doubt you will have loads of love for them...and that is what they will need right now to get them through these dark hard days. Just somebody to listen while they vent and love them no matter what...and it seems to me from just talking over this vast space of internet that you have that big heart for doing just that very thing.

Will be thinking about you Peeps in all the days ahead..and lifting you to the Heavenly Father in Prayer!

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with ALL your heart and lean not unto thine own understanding; in ALL your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct thy paths!

Return to Top
#1072603 - 10/29/08 03:13 PM Re: Family Struggles KTMiteComply
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Prayers coming your way Peepers. Having dealt with some different but serious issues with my older brother many years ago, I know how difficult it can be.

Return to Top
#1072623 - 10/29/08 03:25 PM Re: Family Struggles thomasj
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Peepers- my prayers and thoughts are with you and your brother and his family. Family struggles are tough and depressing. Hoping your brother finds the hope and realization that he needs to stop the damage he is doing. Hugs to you Peepers. Be strong.

Return to Top
#1072798 - 10/29/08 05:16 PM Re: Family Struggles pjs
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
My thoughts and prayers are with you, your brother and his family. Unfortunately, I've seen what a parent on drugs/alcohol can do to young children. I really hope and pray that your brother can pull through all of this for their sake and his.

Return to Top
#1072996 - 10/29/08 07:43 PM Re: Family Struggles Bones
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Prayers coming your family's way, Peepers.

Coming from a drug plauged family, I know how tough it is.

Return to Top
#1073201 - 10/29/08 11:57 PM Re: Family Struggles Ops
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Peeps, sorry to hear of your problems. Glad you feel comfortable enough with us to share. I will keep your family in my thoughts.

Return to Top
#1074207 - 10/31/08 01:09 PM Re: Family Struggles CRAatBOK
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Any updates, Mr Peepers?

Return to Top
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett