Skip to content
GeoDataVision
Thread Options
#1073190 - 10/29/08 11:05 PM Unrelated entities - SSN matches TIN
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
We found that one of our customers has the same Social Security Number as one of our new business accounts TIN number.

We confirmed both the individual and the owner of the business to make sure that we had the correct information.

We also called the IRS and they said it is ok that they are both the same because it is categorized different in their system. Since one has the dash after the second number and one has it after the third number.

Our system will pick up the number either way, so I'm not liking the possibilities.

I was surprised to hear the IRS was duplicating numbers, and more that we would actually have both customers if they did. Is anyone seeing something similar or have any suggestions how to distinguish?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1073222 - 10/30/08 02:22 AM Re: Unrelated entities - SSN matches TIN RFitzpatrick
First Banker Offline
Gold Star
First Banker
Florida
I had a branch manager tell us that this happened to her years back at another bank. This came up during ID Theft Red Flags training. We owe her an apology, because we all laughed at her and told her that surely she must have been mistaken!

Return to Top
#1073273 - 10/30/08 12:47 PM Re: Unrelated entities - SSN matches TIN RFitzpatrick
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Wow, I never heard of that or even thought about that happening. Like you said, its odd that you even have accounts for both parties. Interesting tid bit!

Return to Top
#1073322 - 10/30/08 01:28 PM Re: Unrelated entities - SSN matches TIN RFitzpatrick
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The IRS & SSA systems for issuing numbers are not linked; duplications occur, but they are not frequent. As was done here, the bank should verify both numbers before concluding they represent a duplication. Use of the IRS e-services data query would be the most effective way to verify duplication; i.e. both name/TIN combinations should be reported as "good."

When you file an information return the electronic specifications ask you to indicate the type of number you are using; i.e. ITIN, SSN, EIN, etc. There are no spaces for hyphens in the box for the number so the suggestion that they can tell by the formatting is incorrect.

Return to Top
#1075913 - 11/04/08 03:49 PM Re: Unrelated entities - SSN matches TIN Elwood P. Dowd
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
...Use of the IRS e-services data query would be the most effective way to verify duplication; i.e. both name/TIN combinations should be reported as "good."

Is this available at the IRS site?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z