Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1066269 - 10/17/08 12:58 PM IIA's All Star Conference
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Is anyone else going to be there next week?

Return to Top
Audit
#1066271 - 10/17/08 01:00 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference RR Jen
A_G Offline
10K Club
No.

Is it the one in Vegas?

I went to the Financial Services conference this year in ATL. Two IIA conferences in one year get to be expensive...

Return to Top
#1066339 - 10/17/08 02:06 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference A_G
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Yes, it's in Vegas. Starts Monday.

How was the Financial Services conference?

I can only get $ for one every other year.

Return to Top
#1066344 - 10/17/08 02:10 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference RR Jen
A_G Offline
10K Club
The Financial Services one was pretty good. I did learn a lot. Like most, some of the classes are really really good and some not so good. (It was my first time in ATL too).

This was my third year in a row going to the Financial Services one, and I've definitely learned something new every year. I would recommend it for your next one.

Return to Top
#1066365 - 10/17/08 02:24 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference A_G
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
Ditto. The Financial Services conference has been my pick, too. It's pricey, but has been worth every cent.

Like Audit Guy, I come home every year with improvements to the audit. Side note: good facilities, can take the family, etc.

Return to Top
#1066409 - 10/17/08 02:44 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference Cornfed Turtle
A_G Offline
10K Club
How great was the opening speaking this year!!!

If the whole conference would be like that, I would pay $5,000 to go! (well I would ask the Bank to )

Return to Top
#1068135 - 10/21/08 08:47 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference A_G
rexinaudit Offline
Gold Star
rexinaudit
New England
Originally Posted By: D melanogaster
How great was the opening speaking this year!!! If the whole conference would be like that, I would pay $5,000 to go! (well I would ask the Bank to )

I did not attend this year- who was the opening speaker and what made this so special?

Return to Top
#1068402 - 10/22/08 02:43 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference rexinaudit
A_G Offline
10K Club
It was called, "Anatomy of a White-Collar Crime: The Story About the Crazy Eddie Fraud and What Can Be Learned From It."

Speaker: Sam Antar, former CFO.

I guess this was a huge fraud back when. He was a great speaker. Google him and you'll find stories. Showed us clips of he and his brother on the news, etc. If anyone else was there, I'm sure they can attest to how great it was.

Return to Top
#1068462 - 10/22/08 03:36 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference A_G
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
I'm going to the ICBA Conference in Las Vegas this year. Its starts Monday also. Where is the IIA one being held? I will be at the Flamingo.

Return to Top
#1068480 - 10/22/08 03:47 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference Ready to Retire
A_G Offline
10K Club
I think at Caesars...

who-hoo and I just found out the Financial Services one is going to be in Orlando again next year!!!

Return to Top
#1068516 - 10/22/08 04:22 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference A_G
Carolyn31 Offline
100 Club
Nebraska
Where can I find information about the Financial Services conference?

Return to Top
#1068523 - 10/22/08 04:33 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference Carolyn31
A_G Offline
10K Club
There's probably not much out about it yet. It's typically in June.

Check the IIA's website, though. That's where all the information will be once it's released.

Return to Top
#1070411 - 10/24/08 05:50 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference Ready to Retire
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Originally Posted By: Finally Spring
I'm going to the ICBA Conference in Las Vegas this year. Its starts Monday also. Where is the IIA one being held? I will be at the Flamingo.

It was at Caesars. Sorry I missed you!

It was a FANTASTIC conference. Lots of great information. I will definitely go to it again.

Return to Top
#1072363 - 10/29/08 02:58 AM Re: IIA's All Star Conference RR Jen
kendrar Offline
Gold Star
For those of you who have gone to the Financial Services Conference - are you all CIA's? The bank president/ceo is interested in my earning some sort of additional certification and has a certified community bank internal auditor certification in mind. However, I feel like maybe a CIA credential with the financial services endorsement might be a better and more economical certification to pursue.

Any thoughts in this area would be greatly appreciated.....

Return to Top
#1073982 - 10/30/08 08:27 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference kendrar
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
My certification is through ICBA and has always passed scrutiny with the regualators. I don't know anyting about the CIA certifcation. I just got back today from the ICBA conference in Vegas. It was great. But we went from 89 degress yesteday to 50 today and there was 3 inches of snow on the ground when we got home last night. Brrrr!!!

Return to Top
#1073987 - 10/30/08 08:30 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference kendrar
A_G Offline
10K Club
kendra -

I am. I just got my certification last year. I need the CPE hours now, so the Financial Services Conference provides a great opportunity to get a lot of them!

The test is four parts. I used the Gleim books to study. When I took it, they only offered it twice a year (May and November) so you would have to wait six months to take additional sections. However, now I think they offer it continuously throughout the year (with some stipulation).

I'm working on getting my CPA next.

Return to Top
#1074003 - 10/30/08 08:47 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference A_G
kendrar Offline
Gold Star
I have had my CPA for a number of years - however, the CEO/President would like for me to have some certification related to internal auditing - this is where this debate comes in. He located the ICBA certification - however, you have to travel and spend two weeks taking the classes and all the associated expenses. He is kind of wishy-washy on when the bank would be able to send me to that certification - while with the CIA I could purchase the study materials and then take the tests at one of the testing centers since it is now computer based.

I am not sure where this will all end up but it is getting confusing to me. I am just worried that there will come a point that it reflects badly on me because I haven't received any certification - but I guess I will cross that bridge when I get to it.....

Return to Top
#1074012 - 10/30/08 08:54 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference kendrar
A_G Offline
10K Club
Honestly, if you have your CPA, I don't think it's going to reflect badly on you in the examiner's eyes (that's to whom I assume you refer). Many CPE credit for the CIA is audit/accounting related and crosses over for CPAs - based on some I have seen.

However, I also think that if you have an accounting background the CIA (Part III) will be easier for you than most. I know a lot of people without an accounting background (and some with, me included) and they've struggled with Part 3. Since you have your CPA you are exempt from Part IV. I would consider looking into it - as it will only make you look better and more marketable - and the cost is relatively cheap (compared to getting the CPA). However, as I said - I think you'll be fine without.

How long ago did you get your CPA?

Return to Top
#1074022 - 10/30/08 09:02 PM Re: IIA's All Star Conference A_G
kendrar Offline
Gold Star
I passed the exam when it was still paper and pencil - I sat for the exam in November 2001 but didn't find out I passed until February 2002. I hope that answers your question....

I am not concerned as much with the regulators as I am with Sr management and/or BOD. Since the CEO/President is the one pushing for this - and he is also the one who also influences my reviews and/or raises/bonuses - then it will be through his eyes that this might bight me.... Even though it will be essentially the bank not sending me to the school - it seems it might still come back to haunt me in the future...........

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z