10K Club
maybe it's a Catholic school

Return to Top
#1074720 - 10/31/08 07:28 PM Re: Red Tights A_G
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
I was raised Catholic and went all through Catholic schools - believe me - they do not even mention Luther.

Return to Top
#1074835 - 10/31/08 08:37 PM Re: Red Tights Snow Bunny
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Excuse me, JJ, but why are you giving me attitude? I provided some alternate information and I don't see any reason for you to be so rude.

Return to Top
#1074879 - 10/31/08 09:01 PM Re: Red Tights MichelleDawn
Ledeana Offline
Diamond Poster
California
As someone said earlier, don't pay attention to Jay, he's just "silly".

The school that my daughter attends is Baptist and we are Pentecostal so we basically believe the same things as they do.

The only reason she wore the red tights today - because she is not a tights-wearing person - is that for Halloween she is dressing up as a bottle of ketchup and so she wanted to wear the tights all day to get them stretched out a bit. They were a little snug and she wanted them to be more comfortable for this evening. Oh well, Ketchup will have to be wearing tight tights after all!

Return to Top
#1074908 - 10/31/08 09:59 PM Re: Red Tights Ledeana
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
In my 10 years of Catholic schooling, you bet I would have been sent home for wearing red tights. And while there was nothing in the "policy" against them, I was too chicken to have ever tried anything that was against the rules. And I hold no grudges for it.

However - having said that, the school actually celebrated Halloween, much to the dismay of many parents that felt that it was wrong, against our Church's teachings, blah, blah, blah...
so in your daughter's case - today being Halloween and all, I would not have been allowed to wear red tights all day, but could have changed into them when the festivities started. Worn them home, then worn them out for trick-or-treating.

Never say your are sorry for venting. That's what this is here for. Direct it at us and not the school and save your sanity

Return to Top
#1074910 - 10/31/08 10:06 PM Re: Red Tights Ledeana
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I hope he is being silly and is not really as rude as he is coming across. While I agree that the school seems to be over reacting, unless it is in the policy to have only neutral colored socks, I don't think it is necessary to be hateful about it.

Return to Top
#1075088 - 11/03/08 03:01 AM Re: Red Tights Mrs. Rizzo
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
Originally Posted By: Rizzo
Originally Posted By: Swine Divine
Originally Posted By: Rizzo
I'd tell them to screw off.

Not exactly an appropriate response to a christian school...just sayin'

I went to a "Christian" school nearly all my life. Trust me, most of those peeps deserved to be told off.

I attended "Christian" school until it was discovered that my aunt (by marriage) was sleeping with the pastor.

In addition, JJ seems to have a rude streak about multiple things. Ignore him.

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
#1075124 - 11/03/08 01:44 PM Re: Red Tights Snow Bunny
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Red was also the color most American brides wore up 'til the Civil War. Honestly y'all - is the color really the point, here? ::rollseyes::

Ledeana - I was a private school kid, too (one Baptist, one Catholic, one non-affiliated). While only one of them had uniforms, all three had STRICT dress codes and an abundance of staff who were so uptight their pants squeaked. The only good thing about private school is that you *literally* pay their salaries...so go ahead and tell them where to get off. Having been in this exact situation (only not involving tights and I was the kid) you have options: 1) do as the stuffy staff asks and spend your entire day catering to their perceived authority and showing your daughter that her actions affect YOU more so than they do HER; 2) tell Ms. Office Clerk to deal with it herself - that's what you pay her for; 3) tell Ms. Office Clerk to have your daughter remove the offending item of clothing, burn it in ritual on the school grounds, thereby making a real example of what happens when a child has *gasp* a single spark of individuality; 4) talk to daughter, tell her to take the tights off and put them in her locker - she knew the rules, broke them willingly, and gets to be chilly as a result.

Return to Top
#1075132 - 11/03/08 02:06 PM Re: Red Tights RR Becca
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Sweetpeas, darkhorse... the thread was not about interpreting vestment colors nor was it about the merits of those who work, or in some cases, perform unchristian acts in a christian environment. It was about someone daughter breaking the school rules, and when she did, mom was trying to determine if she overreacted or not.

Either keep it on topic, or bash me in the cooler where you tend to do it, and not the couch.

And for the record, I still feel you pay for the school, you either play by their rules and instill the vaules they require, or you seek out another school that embodies that.

Return to Top
#1075266 - 11/03/08 04:16 PM Re: Red Tights #Just Jay
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
you abide by the rules you don't play by the rules.
Further more she didn't know she broke the school dress code rules when she wore the red tights. There is nothing in the dress code that forbid red tights.
Drawing attention to one's self does not = red tights.

Return to Top
#1075269 - 11/03/08 04:20 PM Re: Red Tights pjs
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: pjs

Apparently, it does, otherwise the school would not have objected as it did.

Return to Top
#1075342 - 11/03/08 05:10 PM Re: Red Tights #Just Jay
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Actually, the thread was about a mother who was frustrated because her daughter (who is a good girl) inadvertently broke a rule neither of them knew existed. This mother was looking to vent and release some steam and instead she was accused of having a "scofflaw" for a daughter.

Return to Top
#1075363 - 11/03/08 05:21 PM Re: Red Tights MichelleDawn
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
It's OK. I don't mind you flirting with me.

Return to Top
#1075397 - 11/03/08 05:47 PM Re: Red Tights #Just Jay
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
IMO the school was too strict. It's not like your daughter went to school with a garter belt on, sheesh!

Maybe the school should consider giving examples to clarify vague rules such as "calling attention to yourselves".

I also think that the couch is very different from the cooler and people should act accordingly. This is a place where people put out real issues (big and small) from their lives and they should be treated with a certain level of respect.

Return to Top
#1075458 - 11/03/08 06:57 PM Re: Red Tights #Just Jay
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: Just Jay

Apparently, it wasn't in the dress code rules.

Return to Top
#1075466 - 11/03/08 07:03 PM Re: Red Tights pjs
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland

Apparently, it doesn't matter if it is written or not, the private school can make up and interpret the rulses as they go, as they wish, since it is a private institution.

Return to Top
#1075486 - 11/03/08 07:21 PM Re: Red Tights #Just Jay
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO

Apparently, it doesn't matter if it is written or not, the private school can make up and interpret the rulses as they go, as they wish, since it is a private institution.

all the more reason to be upset when told it was against the rules when it wasn't even a written rule.

Return to Top
#1075490 - 11/03/08 07:23 PM Re: Red Tights #Just Jay
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
It sounds like red tights are something not normally worn. The daughter only wore them to stretch them out before trick or treating. This goes more to spirit of the law, than letter of the law.

Having attended catholic schools, I knew what we were allowed to wear and what we were not. I would guess their uniforms at this school are simple, and understated, and red that would match a ketchup bottle costume, would stand out.

I think Ledeana expressed her frustration and has moved on.

To those who think she should tell the school where to get off, when you register your child for a private school, you know what you are signing up for. Either comply with the rules, or leave. It's as simple as that.

If we want to debate the pros and cons of this type of schooling, we should move to the cooler.

JMHO

Return to Top
#1075576 - 11/03/08 08:32 PM Re: Red Tights Snow Bunny
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
It's not just private schools that have such strict dress codes any more. A lot of public schools in this area do also.

Return to Top
#1075583 - 11/03/08 08:43 PM Re: Red Tights Bagweaver
Ledeana Offline
Diamond Poster
California
I really do appreciate all of the input, the encouragement and the ummhhh, er, uh other comments. As I said on Friday I went to the school, took my daughter home to change, and took her back. Problem solved and going forward my daughter will walk the line more closely when it comes to how she presents her self, uniform-wise, at school. Thanks everyone and Jay - have a nice day!

Return to Top
#1075591 - 11/03/08 08:56 PM Re: Red Tights Snow Bunny
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: Pooh (The Bear)
It sounds like red tights are something not normally worn. The daughter only wore them to stretch them out before trick or treating. This goes more to spirit of the law, than letter of the law.

Having attended catholic schools, I knew what we were allowed to wear and what we were not. I would guess their uniforms at this school are simple, and understated, and red that would match a ketchup bottle costume, would stand out.

I think Ledeana expressed her frustration and has moved on.

To those who think she should tell the school where to get off, when you register your child for a private school, you know what you are signing up for. Either comply with the rules, or leave. It's as simple as that.

If we want to debate the pros and cons of this type of schooling, we should move to the cooler.

JMHO

The red tights might not normally be worn but that doesn't spell out if they were not met with the school approval. Schools need to spell it out or when something like this comes up pull the kid aside and let them know it isn't appropriate and be done with it. Being a ketchup bottle for Halloween or whatever has nothing to do with it. Everyone interprets differently- spell it out for the kids-

Return to Top
#1075605 - 11/03/08 09:06 PM Re: Red Tights pjs
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I agree, they really should spell it out clearly so that the kids and parents completely understand the school's interpretation of the rules.

IMO I think that the school should also have a contingency plan in place for situations like this (spare socks or tights) so the parents don't have to run down to the school for everything. I think that a lot of parents would prefer to be billed for the replacement clothing instead of clocking out of work.

Return to Top
#1075630 - 11/03/08 09:30 PM Re: Red Tights Sing A Little
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Sing, I love your turkey.

Return to Top
#1075640 - 11/03/08 09:40 PM Re: Red Tights Sing A Little
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Originally Posted By: Sing A Little
I agree, they really should spell it out clearly so that the kids and parents completely understand the school's interpretation of the rules.

IMO I think that the school should also have a contingency plan in place for situations like this (spare socks or tights) so the parents don't have to run down to the school for everything. I think that a lot of parents would prefer to be billed for the replacement clothing instead of clocking out of work.

I totally agree with you Sing, but we have many small schools in our area that would be considered 'Christian' schools. They feel they have the right to do as they please. When you register your child, you are signing on the proverbial dotted line to do what they say, AND what they imply.

Like it or not, that seems to be how they operate. I am sure that Ledeana's daughter will not make a mistake like that again. It would be great if they had spare articles of clothing for the students to wear, and then charge the parent; but maybe they find that pulling the parent out of work is more effective in making an impression on both parent and student?

I am just so very happy that I am past that stage in life and no longer have to worry about it.

Return to Top
#1080035 - 11/11/08 12:25 AM Re: Red Tights Bagweaver
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Originally Posted By: Bagweaver
A lot of public schools do also.

-Firearms must not be visible, unless the chrome or gun metal is tasteful and in good repair

-Gang tattoos, if visible, must be professionally drawn. Homemade or jail drawn tattoos must be covered.

-Pants must not be worn more than three inches below the "plumber"s cleavage" line.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett