Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1075520 - 11/03/08 07:38 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... Snow Bunny
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
That may be part of it Pooh, where if you have ample time either before or after your scheduled work hours, your employer might not have to allow time off. But I am just guessing about that.

Another thing I am curious about is how long those lines might be at the polling places. Record turnout is expected.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1075522 - 11/03/08 07:41 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... GuitarDude
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
I agree GuitarDude...if we can go before or after work or on lunch then we must do it then, but in the case of like I said before of my husband who is scheduled to work 7 - 7, then the Company must allow them time off to go and vote....

Return to Top
#1075578 - 11/03/08 08:35 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... KTMiteComply
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Our polls open at 6am-we plan to be there at 6

Return to Top
#1075581 - 11/03/08 08:39 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... TB 12
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
you. I am going to work from home tomorrow, and head out at the crack of dawn to vote.

Return to Top
#1075586 - 11/03/08 08:46 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... TheManofSteel
#Just Jay Online
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Ours open at 7, but I will be there at 6 getting ready... we are told not to expect to head home till after 1 am or so.

Return to Top
#1075589 - 11/03/08 08:53 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... #Just Jay
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
I have a feeling voter turnout is going to be huge. My only concern is whether or not all the voters are actual people...

Return to Top
#1075597 - 11/03/08 09:00 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... FBH
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Don't know about anyplace else, but in So. Cal, Starbucks is offering a free cup of coffee if you present your ballot stub.

Return to Top
#1075604 - 11/03/08 09:05 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... FBH
#Just Jay Online
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: FBH
I have a feeling voter turnout is going to be huge. My only concern is whether or not all the voters are actual people...

I'll let you know if any of the local cattle population shows up.

Return to Top
#1075632 - 11/03/08 09:31 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... TheManofSteel
Wendolene Offline
Wendolene
Utah
Originally Posted By: THEMANofSTEEL
you. I am going to work from home tomorrow, and head out at the crack of dawn to vote.

Early voting. Tried it for the first time this year. Loved it! I voted a week ago. No lines.

Return to Top
#1075680 - 11/03/08 10:31 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... Snow Bunny
Jessilynn Offline
100 Club
Maybe a better idea might be if you actually do vote, you then get the day off and you get a 'I Voted' sticker which you present to HR the next day. Getting the day off when you vote might provide incentive for many.

Somehow I think "ACORN" would get involved and many people not eligible for the day off would get it off anyway.

Waaaaa! Waaaaaa! Its not fair.

Return to Top
#1075691 - 11/03/08 10:45 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... Jessilynn
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
If ACORN got involved, you would have people getting 50 "I Voted" stickers (one for each ballot cast) as well as "I Voted" stickers for deceased voters' headstones.

Return to Top
#1075701 - 11/03/08 11:09 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... Jessilynn
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: Jessilynn
Maybe a better idea might be if you actually do vote, you then get the day off and you get a 'I Voted' sticker which you present to HR the next day. Getting the day off when you vote might provide incentive for many.

Somehow I think "ACORN" would get involved and many people not eligible for the day off would get it off anyway.

Waaaaa! Waaaaaa! Its not fair.

My boss told me he would give me the day off if I could tell him that I was voting for Obama

I couldn't do it!

Return to Top
#1075704 - 11/03/08 11:13 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... Bimmer
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
We get 2 hours off to vote but since the polls open at 6AM and don't close until 7PM management doesn't expect anyone to need the time.

I am an Election Judge tomorrow and had to take a vacation day to do that. Long day ahead of me!

Return to Top
#1075707 - 11/03/08 11:31 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... Snow Bunny
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Pooh (The Bear)
The electoral college is definitely a relic that should be gotten rid of...

God help those of us who don't live in large metropolitan areas if the electoral college is ever abolished. If this ever happens, California, New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michicgan, Georgia, North Carolina and Texas would largely determine the outcome of our elections.

Maybe a better reform to consider is to divide each state's electoral votes up by the outcome of the popular vote in that state.

Return to Top
#1075817 - 11/04/08 02:30 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... Snow Bunny
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Not in our FI. You either before or after work. They would never let someone leave to go and vote.

You're right! Florida is one of the states that doesn't have a law on this one.

http://www.findlaw.com/voting-rights-law.html

Return to Top
#1075820 - 11/04/08 02:33 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... B_F
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
BF....is that really you?

you look....."different"

Return to Top
#1075826 - 11/04/08 02:37 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... Miscuit
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
it's him...

Return to Top
#1075827 - 11/04/08 02:39 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... ~Special K~
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
BF - thanks for the link. There is no law about time off in Pennsylvania.

Return to Top
#1075828 - 11/04/08 02:39 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... ~Special K~
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
it was the "underscore" that threw me

Return to Top
#1075829 - 11/04/08 02:40 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... buggs
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Originally Posted By: ynnuB sguB

God help those of us who don't live in large metropolitan areas if the electoral college is ever abolished. If this ever happens, California, New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michicgan, Georgia Atlanta, North Carolina and Texas would largely determine the outcome of our elections.

Maybe a better reform to consider is to divide each state's electoral votes up by the outcome of the popular vote in that state.

Fixed. Atlanta has more than 50% of the population of GA and generally votes differently than the rest of us.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1075830 - 11/04/08 02:40 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... Miscuit
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Ms. Biscuit
shiny objects usually confuse me

Return to Top
#1075831 - 11/04/08 02:41 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... Peepers
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
bite me

Return to Top
#1075841 - 11/04/08 02:51 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... waldensouth
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Originally Posted By: waldensouth
Originally Posted By: ynnuB sguB

God help those of us who don't live in large metropolitan areas if the electoral college is ever abolished. If this ever happens, California, New York, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michicgan, Georgia Atlanta, North Carolina and Texas would largely determine the outcome of our elections.

Fixed. Atlanta has more than 50% of the population of GA and generally votes differently than the rest of us.

How is this any different than what happens now? Look at where the candidates were on a daily basis - NY, PA, Calif, Ohio, Michigan. Is the way to parity to have one vote for each state? Kansas goes Repub, so their one vote is for McCain; NY goes Dem (because the NYC metro area over-rides the rest of the state) so their 1 vote goes to Obama?

Return to Top
#1075844 - 11/04/08 02:54 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... FBH
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Originally Posted By: FBH
I was watching my favorite right bashing show, Real Time with Bill Maher (I like seeing how bad things really could be), and he had Michael Moore start off the show Friday night. He said something I actually agree with: Election Day should be a National Holiday.

I agree - what better way to get people involved in the democratic process than to give them the day off to vote, or maybe have election day on the weekend?

What do you think about it?

This is odd coming from a man who has never worked a day in his life.

Return to Top
#1075939 - 11/04/08 04:12 PM Re: Odd - I agree with Michael Moore for once... Miscuit
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Ms. Biscuit
BF....is that really you?

you look....."different"

Yup, that's me. I finally decided to change my moniker. I quit supporting the Bengals when they resigned Chris Henry. Soon, I'll be changing my name to Mike Brown Step Down....

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3