Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1068991 - 10/23/08 02:12 AM Understanding the implications
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
Bar Stool Economics

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay $1.
The sixth would pay $3.
The seventh would pay $7.
The eighth would pay $12.
The ninth would pay $18.
The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do. The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve. 'Since you are all such good customers, he said, 'I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20. Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his 'fair share?' They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from
everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:

The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
The seventh now paid $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).
The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four
continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.

'I only got a dollar out of the $20', declared the sixth man. He
pointed to the tenth man,' but he got $10!'

Yeah, that's right', exclaimed the fifth man. 'I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!'

'That's true!!' shouted the seventh man. 'Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!'

'Wait a minute,' yelled the first four men in unison. 'We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!'

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1068993 - 10/23/08 02:15 AM Re: Understanding the implications Darkhorse
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
This is an outrage and must be immediately deleted.

Return to Top
#1068995 - 10/23/08 02:22 AM Re: Understanding the implications Jokerman
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Second the motion...

Return to Top
#1069000 - 10/23/08 02:44 AM Re: Understanding the implications kms
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
Ya'll must think I'm arrogant and foolish for wanting to drink my beer elsewhere. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
#1069002 - 10/23/08 03:16 AM Re: Understanding the implications Darkhorse
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Since the earlier thread is gone, I'll post the real numbers for total federal tax burden again. This is per the Congressional Budget Office as of 2004, and covers all federal taxes, not just selected ones:

The bottom two guys would pay 1.1%, not zero;
The next two would pay 5.2%, not zero;
The middle two would pay 10.5, not 4%;
The next two would pay 19.5%, not 19%; and
The top two would pay 63.5%, not 77%.

Story on CBO report

Return to Top
#1069003 - 10/23/08 03:20 AM Re: Understanding the implications Yossarian
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Shame on you Darkhorse, and on the original poster of these "economics" for trying to illustrate a point (which is perfectly clear) without verifying all numbers and calculations to one tenth of one percent. And I know what your sayin'!

Return to Top
#1069005 - 10/23/08 04:30 AM Re: Understanding the implications Yossarian
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
Since the earlier thread is gone, I'll post the real numbers for total federal tax burden again. This is per the Congressional Budget Office as of 2004, and covers all federal taxes, not just selected ones:

Story on CBO report

You're right GD. I didn't redo the math. I apologize for my transgression.

Gee Yoss, that seems so much more fair [/sarcasm font]

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
#1069006 - 10/23/08 04:30 AM Re: Understanding the implications Yossarian
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
Stupid double posts . . .
Last edited by Darkhorse; 10/23/08 04:32 AM.

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
#1069009 - 10/23/08 04:50 AM Re: Understanding the implications Yossarian
Jokerman Offline
10K Club

Story on CBO report

And I'll point out again that your figures are including social security contributions, which (in theory, at least, until the Democrats' refusal to reform the program bankrupt it), are tied to the amount of the benefit you receive when you retire. They are, therefore, irrelevant to the funding of the federal government's general operations.

Return to Top
#1069012 - 10/23/08 05:49 AM Re: Understanding the implications Jokerman
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
And I'll follow that point by again noting that excluding social security/medicare, those who earn the most pay a very disproportionate share of taxes.

- the top 25% of income earners earn 66% of the nation's income, and pay 85% of the total income taxes;
- the second 25% of income earners earn 21% of the nation's income and pay 12% of the total income taxes;
- the bottom 50% earn 13% of the nation's income and pay 3% of the total income taxes.

source

I'm not arguing that the system shouldn't be progressive. I'm just saying that any idea that we're not already "soaking the rich" is ill-founded.

Return to Top
#1069122 - 10/23/08 01:27 PM Re: Understanding the implications rainman
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
And, further, the argument that you shouldn't cut income taxes if a lot of the benefit of cutting taxes goes to "the rich" is either ignorant or dishonest.

Return to Top
#1069282 - 10/23/08 03:21 PM Re: Understanding the implications Jokerman
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
Democrats' refusal to reform the program

The Republicans didn't reform it when they had control, did they? I do think that there will be reform once the obstacle-in-chief leaves office.

Quote:
They are, therefore, irrelevant to the funding of the federal government's general operations.

That statement is questionable but beside the point. Payroll taxes are VERY relevant to the total tax amount that people pay, which is the issue here.

Return to Top
#1069458 - 10/23/08 05:13 PM Re: Understanding the implications Yossarian
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Quote:

The Republicans didn't reform it when they had control, did they? I do think that there will be reform once the obstacle-in-chief leaves office.

Amazing - Bush pushes for reform, Democrats make outrageous statements about how there is no crisis, and yet he's the problem. The award for Best Revisionist History goes to...Yossarian! Bravo.

Quote:
Quote:
They are, therefore, irrelevant to the funding of the federal government's general operations.

That statement is questionable but beside the point. Payroll taxes are VERY relevant to the total tax amount that people pay, which is the issue here.

If it's just another source of revenue, and social security is just another welfare program, that would be right. Most people, though, don't consider SS welfare. Are you going to change their mind?

Return to Top
#1069555 - 10/23/08 06:45 PM Re: Understanding the implications Jokerman
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
Bush pushes for reform

Bush pushed for private accounts that would divert money from the current program. If he had been willing to reform SS financing without private accounts that could have been done. After he is gone they can do that.

Quote:
Most people, though, don't consider SS welfare. Are you going to change their mind?

Reality doesn't get put up for a vote. FICA taxes are taxes, period. They pay for SS and Medicare and represent a significant portion of the taxes paid in the US. The statutes regarding their collection is found in the Internal Revenue Code. Here is the SS table on the tax rates over the years:

FICA Tax rates

Return to Top
#1069589 - 10/23/08 07:12 PM Re: Understanding the implications Yossarian
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
so the tax reduction will be coupled with a benefit reduction? Or will SS and medicare be transformed from a pay as you go program to a welfare/wealth redistribuion system?

I am surprised more liberals haven't spoken out against this idea, as I think this would virtually guarantee these programs eventual destruction.

Return to Top
#1075684 - 11/03/08 10:36 PM Re: Understanding the implications straw
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Oh, so my version is deleted, but two more can be posted? Crazy BOL politics!

Return to Top
#1075685 - 11/03/08 10:37 PM Re: Understanding the implications Yossarian
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Quote:

Quote:

You make your first comment with a straight face as if Bush were a fiscal conservative.

Return to Top
#1075688 - 11/03/08 10:40 PM Re: Understanding the implications The OG Zaibatsu
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
You make your first comment with a straight face as if Bush were a fiscal conservative.

hey, i'm just doing the country a favor ::looks for praise due to the graciousness of my gesture:: by voting for the lesser of 2 evils. i never have to support who i am voting fo...who i am casting my vote towards.

Return to Top
#1075697 - 11/03/08 10:51 PM Re: Understanding the implications Hated By Some
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Originally Posted By: Camaro Power
Quote:

hey, i'm just doing the country a favor ::looks for praise due to the graciousness of my gesture:: by voting for the lesser of 2 evils. i never have to support who i am voting fo...who i am casting my vote towards.

As opposed to the Lesser of Two Weevils .

Return to Top
#1075708 - 11/03/08 11:31 PM Re: Understanding the implications Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Quote:

Ron, you can support someone without agreeing with every single point/policy/plank. But I am sure I am just a sheep, unlike you who agrees with every single Obama policy position.

Return to Top
#1075721 - 11/03/08 11:56 PM Re: Understanding the implications straw
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: straw

Ron, you can support someone without agreeing with every single point/policy/plank.

Sorry - but the irony of your statement just gave me a giggle. For your own safety however, I do not recommend that you try telling that to the nice folks at Fox News.

Return to Top
#1075723 - 11/03/08 11:58 PM Re: Understanding the implications Princess Romeo
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
that is not true at all, fox gives each candidate equal time and are even showing in their polls that BO is ahead.

Return to Top
#1075724 - 11/04/08 12:07 AM Re: Understanding the implications Princess Romeo
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Bonnie M

Ron, you can support someone without agreeing with every single point/policy/plank.

Sorry - but the irony of your statement just gave me a giggle. For your own safety however, I do not recommend that you try telling that to the nice folks at Fox News.

I don't watch the news networks, but from what I have heard, one could say the same thing about MSNBC, or at least Keith Olbermann.

Return to Top
#1075738 - 11/04/08 01:02 AM Re: Understanding the implications straw
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: Bonnie M

I don't watch the news networks, but from what I have heard, one could say the same thing about MSNBC, or at least Keith Olbermann.

Obama made a good comment about this the other day. He said:

"If voters are similarly polarized and if they're seeing two different realities, a Sean Hannity reality and a Keith Olbermann reality, then we're not going to be able to get done the work we need to get done,"

That brings to mind the quote by the late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan "You are entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts".

Return to Top
#1075739 - 11/04/08 01:03 AM Re: Understanding the implications Hated By Some
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Quote:

Seriously. Seek help.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2