Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1075032 - 11/02/08 02:02 AM Re: Obama supporters Jokerman
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
Psst, Bonnie - we're in the 21st century.

So what to you mean that it is related to Manifest Destiny? How so?

Who do you see posting here that you consider a "neo-con"?

Um yeah, I know this is the 21st century. The neo-con movement started in the 1960's and that was still the 20th century.

Manifest Destiny was the belief that it was the destiny of the U.S. to expand all the way to the Pacific Coast, and to h-ell with anyone or anything that stood in the way. Trail of tears and all that.

Neo-conservatism started out as a way to stop the spread of communism and then evolved into a belief that the U.S. should have control over the world's political environment.

While neo-conservatism may have started out with the best of intentions (stop totalitarian communism, reject immoral behaviors), it seems to have devolved into rudeness, name calling, and refusal to consider any other points of view.

As I said, I come from a family of neo-cons, but after a while, I got tired of the negativity towards, it seemed, just about everything. I have a couple of relatives who feel the same way, but we just don't dare tell the family at any reunions.

I don't know that I would call any particular poster a "neo-con", but there are some posts that definitely display a "neo-con" attitude.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1075033 - 11/02/08 02:07 AM Re: Obama supporters Princess Romeo
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Ah, gotcha. Neoconservatism - not just an ideology, but an attitude!

LOL - and "necons" believe that the US should control the world's political environment? Really? Or do they maybe believe that democratic countries that respect human rights both within and without their borders are better to influence world affairs than dictators and tyrants?

Return to Top
#1075038 - 11/02/08 02:34 AM Re: Obama supporters Jokerman
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Ah, gotcha. Neoconservatism - not just an ideology, but an attitude!

LOL - and "necons" believe that the US should control the world's political environment? Really? Or do they maybe believe that democratic countries that respect human rights both within and without their borders are better to influence world affairs than dictators and tyrants?

That would be nice except that we wind up supporting some pretty nasty dictators anyways.

I personally prefer the philosphy of Disrael although I am not in complete agreement with all of it.
Last edited by Bonnie M; 11/02/08 02:46 AM.

Return to Top
#1075044 - 11/02/08 05:26 AM Re: Obama supporters Princess Romeo
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I'm sorry - are you leaving a letter off "Disraeli", or adding a letter to "Israel"? The capitalization implies the former, so I'll assume that's right...wasn't Disraeli an imperialist? How does that differ from the "neoconservative" philosophy you oppose?

Return to Top
#1075108 - 11/03/08 05:55 AM Re: Obama supporters Jokerman
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I'm sorry - are you leaving a letter off "Disraeli", or adding a letter to "Israel"? The capitalization implies the former, so I'll assume that's right...wasn't Disraeli an imperialist? How does that differ from the "neoconservative" philosophy you oppose?

Basically because Disraeli was more honest about it.

I'm not some bleeding heart liberal that believes in just giving our country away. However, I also recognize that folks in other countries are PO'd at the U.S. over our foreign policies and interventions, and when you've screwed someone over, you can't just simply dismiss their anger away. Our foreign relations these days look like they have been taken from the worst of the Dilbert cartoons.

Our country is so much better than the current administration has made us look to the world.

Return to Top
#1075749 - 11/04/08 03:30 AM Re: Obama supporters Princess Romeo
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
And the video finally becomes available!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

Return to Top
#1075750 - 11/04/08 03:50 AM Re: Obama supporters buggs
Darkhorse Offline
Platinum Poster
Darkhorse
out of my mind
Originally Posted By: ynnuB sguB
I have absolutely no idea what Obama supporters expect when he his President other than it will be something different than George Bush or the Republicans. That's all most of them really want. It's pretty simple.

yep, communism is definitely a change for us . . . viva la change!

proud 2 b BOLWYWTCCUT

Return to Top
#1075751 - 11/04/08 04:56 AM Re: Obama supporters Bimmer
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: Bimmer
And the video finally becomes available!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI

...rabble rabble...right-wing conspiracy...rabble rabble...fear-mongering...rabble rabble...nuance...rabble rabble

Return to Top
#1075753 - 11/04/08 05:25 AM Re: Obama supporters GuitarDude
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Oh please - every campaign rally is going to attract a fringe element. John McCain even said so. And he's right.

Seriously - would anyone like to work on my Presidential Jeopardy idea for 2012?

Alex - I'll take Trade Agreements for $1,000.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2