Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1077264 - 11/05/08 09:29 PM MONITORING ATM TRANSACTIONS
LisaL Offline
Does anyone want to share how they incorporated their ATM cash activity monitoring in their BSA/AML policy? I have an excel sheet for my head teller to list cash activity through the ATM machines. Did you keep it the same dollar limits i.e. monetary instruments $3k to $10k? what if a customer deposited on a daily basis $1K? Is it smart to record EVERY cash transaction through the atm?
Anyone have any helpful hints for me?
tia!!!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1077361 - 11/05/08 10:30 PM Re: MONITORING ATM TRANSACTIONS LisaL
Maytagman Offline
Gold Star
Maytagman
South
If you accept cash deposits at ATMs, will you be including all of that in your CTR reports too?

For suspicious activity monitoring purposes, I review all customer ATM transactions periodically, and look for unusual patterns (dumping it into a spreadsheet then sorting by name). Most customers have only handful of transactions; some may have 10 or 15 in a month. I usually stop and take a looksie if it is over about 12 in a month, but have never had that generate a SAR. In theory I'm looking for a person who has three times as many ATM withdrawals as any other customer (60 ATM withdrawals in a month, with the maximum allowable amount on most of them). We don't accept cash deposits at the ATM so that simplifies mine a bit.

Return to Top
#1077616 - 11/06/08 02:31 PM Re: MONITORING ATM TRANSACTIONS Maytagman
LisaL Offline
Hmmm no cash deposits accepted at atms, that sounds nice but would never fly around here :-(
My thoughts were to have the cash deposits listed on an excel spreadsheet for monitoring, that way I can sort by name and if needed file a CTR that way?
Thoughts?
TIA

Return to Top
#1077716 - 11/06/08 03:44 PM Re: MONITORING ATM TRANSACTIONS LisaL
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
At my last bank, our branches reported any cash deposit over $1,000 to our ATM department, which added them to a spreadsheet. We reviewed that spreadsheet in conjunction with our large cash deposits report to see if any ATM deposits tipped the $10,000 mark for a CTR. We also used it each month to review non-business accounts reflecting high deposit activity to see if suspicious patterns developed.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1078473 - 11/07/08 01:07 PM Re: MONITORING ATM TRANSACTIONS John Burnett
LisaL Offline
Thanks !!

Return to Top
#1079034 - 11/07/08 06:51 PM Re: MONITORING ATM TRANSACTIONS LisaL
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
On a daily basis, each branch sends up a report of any cash deposit exceeding $500.

Return to Top
#1080321 - 11/12/08 01:15 PM Re: MONITORING ATM TRANSACTIONS P*Q
LisaL Offline
Thanks everyone, much appreciated!
How did you incorporate this into your BSA/AML policy?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z