Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1080168 - 11/11/08 06:51 PM disclosures required?
Chocaholic Offline
Gold Star
Northwest
We have a Dr who has requested a construction loan to build his personal residence on a lot he owns free and clear. His Attny/CPA has suggested to protect some of his assets from liability (related to practice) that the loan request be made by a "to be formed" LLC. Dr. also wants us to commit to long term take-out with rate etc. to be established at time of home completion which bank is prepared to do .. (long term also to be LLC ownership). Here is where I am confused.. is this a consumer transaction for purposes of Reg. Z & RESPA etc.? For all purposes, this is the construction of a primary residence with long term financing.. so my instinct is to require disclosures... however, the LLC is not a "consumer per se"? So, any thoughts would be much appreciated..
Would it make a difference if long-term is made to Dr.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1080172 - 11/11/08 06:57 PM Re: disclosures required? Chocaholic
Dan Persfull Online
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
This is a consumer transaction, however since the loan is/will be made to a non-natural person Reg Z disclosure do not apply, however since the loan is not exempt under the business purpose exemption of Reg. Z it is subject to RESPA disclosures.

Return to Top
#1080178 - 11/11/08 07:02 PM Re: disclosures required? Dan Persfull
Chocaholic Offline
Gold Star
Northwest
thank you!

Return to Top
#1107866 - 01/08/09 08:34 PM Re: disclosures required? Chocaholic
Bullseye Offline
Platinum Poster
Bullseye
I have a similar situation and I don't deal in this arena much so I'd appreciate some help. We made a loan to a farm entity - we'll call it "Smith Farms, LLC" to construct Mr & Mrs Smith's dwelling on the farm owned by the LLC (100 acres). The loan amount is $400,000. I feel as though this is a consumer purpose loan, therefore can not use the $1 million business purpose loan exemption in FIRREA to excuse the loan from a certified appraisal. Agree?

Return to Top
#1107885 - 01/08/09 08:47 PM Re: disclosures required? Bullseye
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I would agree.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z