Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1083002 - 11/17/08 08:27 PM DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice?
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Thinkign about switchign from the pill to the shot for the next two years while I am in school. Scheduel is so busy between work and school and I have *nearly* forgotten my pill a couple times. Don't want to leave anythign up to chance, so am considering the shot.

Anyone have experience with it? Pros or cons?

I have two weeks to decide because of when you have to get the shot.

Return to Top
#1083006 - 11/17/08 08:29 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? Dip
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Every single woman I've known who had the shot gained weight. Most of them 20+ pounds.

Other than that, I've no clue. I've been considering an IUD.

Return to Top
#1083020 - 11/17/08 08:39 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? Ops
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: Ops
Every single woman I've known who had the shot gained weight. Most of them 20+ pounds.

I had the shots for a year and the 20 lb weight gain is accurate. Have two friends that had a similar experience. One friend suffered from hair loss and another suffered horrible hormonal symptoms (mood swings). I did not get my period but I spotted for a good six weeks between shots (sorry if that is TMI for some).

If I had it to do all over again I would not do it.

Return to Top
#1083023 - 11/17/08 08:41 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? RR Sarah
A_G Offline
10K Club
Pro: Not getting knocked up! laugh

Return to Top
#1083030 - 11/17/08 08:44 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? A_G
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
+20lbs!!! If I gained 20lbs there would be no reason for the shot anyways. Good grief!!

Return to Top
#1083050 - 11/17/08 09:06 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? cheekEE
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
Ditto what everyone else said about the weight gain. The good thing was that I didn't have a period or spotting for the whole time I was on the shot. But the weight gain far outweighed (no pun intended) the benefits. I couldn't handle the weight gain. Also, my sister was on it for several years and gained a lot of weight as well. Also, the doctor told her that long term use can cause bone density loss.

Return to Top
#1083054 - 11/17/08 09:09 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? cheekEE
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Does the wieght drop off when you stop the shot? Wondering if I coudl try just one shot and see what happens. Waiting for the Dr. to call back so I can discuss it further, but it really helps to hear what you and your friends have been through.

If I gained that weight, I'd go broke buying new clothes!!!

Return to Top
#1083057 - 11/17/08 09:11 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? Dip
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
The NP did say bone loss can occurr with 2+ years on the shot. I already have low bone density and am on a yearly bone scan plan, which is another thign I want to talk to the NP about--she may nto have seen that in my file (or even looked at my file yet).

Return to Top
#1083062 - 11/17/08 09:14 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? Dip
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
My wife tried it and suffered severe depression that required medication to control. So not worth it. Once you get the shot, there is no turning back - if you suffer from severe symptoms you pretty much have to deal with it for the duration.

Return to Top
#1083064 - 11/17/08 09:20 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? Dip
Rie A Offline
Platinum Poster
Rie A
Maryland
I have been on the shots for about 8 years. I will not kid you; the first 3 months are tough. You do gain some weight, usually spot the whole time and you have some PMS the whole time as well. However, with the second shot it gets better and by the end of the first year your period is usually gone.

Now, if I get my period really light, almost spotting, for a few days twice a year that is a lot. Yes, I said four to six days of very light bleeding for the whole year.

Also, I never did gain the 20 pounds people talk about and initially lost the weight I did gain once the spotting and PMS went away. I have since gained it back but I am now having hot flashes and all the other lovely issues we go through in the next stage of life.

I have stayed on the shots for my migraines as they keep the PMS away, since I don't cycle anymore. I would not give them up now for the world, that is unless the doc said I had to for some other health reason…

Return to Top
#1083095 - 11/17/08 09:58 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? Rie A
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
I gained weight and am still struggling to lose it 5 years AFTER getting off the shot. A lot of the RA meds I take don't help with weight loss, but the weight gain came after I started Depo. I enjoyed not having a period and not having to remember to take a pill or change a ring. I have been considering changing to something other than the ring, though, because of some of the devastating risks they are find now with it.

Return to Top
#1083110 - 11/17/08 10:13 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? East Texas
cheekEE Offline
Power Poster
Easy Street
How about Murana (you know the cervical insert).

Return to Top
#1083127 - 11/17/08 11:00 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? cheekEE
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I am a total Depo Lover. I've been on the shot for a few years. I never have a period ... ever, and didn't gain any weight. Additionally, I had very bad periods and was begging for a hysterectomy, but since I went on Depo, I have ZERO "female" problems. It's the best thing I've ever done and only wish I would have done it sooner.

Return to Top
#1083136 - 11/17/08 11:17 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? MichelleDawn
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
I never noticed any side effects when I went on the pill, so wondering if I will be lucky enough to not notice any on Depo.

I did a Google search to get more info on it and didn't find any nasty articles condemning it, so it can't be that bad. And I only plan to use it short term--2 years or until school gets out, which could be 15 months at this point?

I wish the nurse would call back already so I coudl talk to her more specifically and let her know whether to order it for me or not.

Return to Top
#1083306 - 11/18/08 03:31 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? RR Sarah
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
Originally Posted By: Ops

I had the shots for a year and the 20 lb weight gain is accurate. Have two friends that had a similar experience. One friend suffered from hair loss and another suffered horrible hormonal symptoms (mood swings). I did not get my period but I spotted for a good six weeks between shots (sorry if that is TMI for some).

If I had it to do all over again I would not do it.

Same here. Up until I got the shot I NEVER had to worry about my weight. It's been a constant struggle since (close to 8 years now). When my dad (the veterinarian) found out I was on it he had a screaming fit, not normal for him, and said he wouldn't even put dogs on it anymore due to the nasty side affects he saw in them.

Return to Top
#1083343 - 11/18/08 04:10 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? Dip
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Dip
I did a Google search to get more info on it and didn't find any nasty articles condemning it, so it can't be that bad. And I only plan to use it short term--2 years or until school gets out, which could be 15 months at this point?

The thing about hormone-based birth control methods is that they are meant to be long-term. The side-effects are usually worse in the beginning until your body becomes acclimated to the drugs.

I remember when I first went on the pill, my doctor told me that I shouldn't stop and start in short periods, that I should use it consistently for a longer period. I did go off it for a few months, and then resumed - which didn't seem that bad. But then after about a year & 1/2 I tried switching to Depo, thinking that it would be easy to transition from one hormone treatment to another - WRONG. Depo was one of the most miserable experiences of my life, and after the first shot wore off I vowed never to use any hormone-based method of birth control again.

Return to Top
#1083625 - 11/18/08 08:15 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? Becka Marr
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Just talked to the NP and the Dr. Neither one feel comfortable giving me Depo even short-term because of potential bone loss. My bone density score is -2.1 so they don't want to take any risks. And my next bone scan isn't until next November to see if my bone density has gone up or down.

The NP suggested Nuva Ring (or is it Nova Ring?)--Anyone have experience with that?

My other option is stay on the pill and if I goof up, use "other" methods of protection.

Thanks all for your comments smile

Return to Top
#1083634 - 11/18/08 08:30 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? Dip
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
I am currently using Nuva-Ring and have not had any problems with it. But, there is some concern about strokes and clots that come with just about any hormonal treatment. It's neat to be able to just insert it and forget about it for three weeks. (Sorry if that's TMI, too.)

Return to Top
#1083851 - 11/19/08 02:35 AM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? East Texas
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
I work with a girl who HATED the Nuva-Ring. I don't think it would hurt to try it, Dipster.

Return to Top
#1084642 - 11/19/08 11:29 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? Ops
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
You could quit having sex. grin

Return to Top
#1084757 - 11/20/08 12:51 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? CRAatBOK
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thank goodness I had swallowed my coffee before I read KCs post.

Return to Top
#1085014 - 11/20/08 04:58 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? Skittles
ABrown Offline
Gold Star
Texas
Depo - I wish I would never had taken it.

Gained 30 pounds in 2 weeks eating yogurt and slim fast. Have *never* been able to lose the weight and have been told by most of my doctors that I may never be able to lose that weight. I took 3 shots total before I figured out what was happening....

Return to Top
#1085174 - 11/20/08 06:48 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? ABrown
Basket Lady Offline
My ob/gyn recommended Mirena for me because the hormones are released in a small area rather than systemwide. Plus it last for two to three years without my having to do anything. Like everything, it has risks. Not that I would, but the doctor stressed that I must not take up smoking. YMMV.

Return to Top
#1085282 - 11/20/08 08:04 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? Basket Lady
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By: Basket Lady
My ob/gyn recommended Mirena for me because the hormones are released in a small area rather than systemwide. Plus it last for two to three years without my having to do anything. Like everything, it has risks. Not that I would, but the doctor stressed that I must not take up smoking. YMMV.

YOu know, it's interesting to me, that if it's released in a small area rather than systemwide, why then, would smoking be a problem. It's done at an entirely different end! Sorry..not meaning to be a smart, but think about it!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1085381 - 11/20/08 09:30 PM Re: DepoProvera-- Pros? Cons? Advice? RR Joker
Basket Lady Offline
Originally Posted By: RR joker

YOu know, it's interesting to me, that if it's released in a small area rather than systemwide, why then, would smoking be a problem. It's done at an entirely different end! Sorry..not meaning to be a smart, but think about it!

grin That's true. He's anti-smoking as only a former smoker can be. He probably tells every patient that smoking will cause a problem to get worse, even if it's a hangnail.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett