Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#108711 - 08/21/03 04:23 PM SSCRA - Collection Efforts
krmabyrd Offline
New Poster
krmabyrd
Chicago Southland
I believe this is probably a very simple question for most of you out there. It is related to collection efforts.

I understand that you cannot repossess, judgment, legal action, etc. if a loan is covered under this act. However, if a customer quites paying, are you permitted to make a call to them to prompt payment?

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#108712 - 08/21/03 05:52 PM Re: SSCRA - Collection Efforts
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
IMO you can certainly ask when payment is expected. Remember if they are overseas, that in many cases it may not be easy for the customer to respond. If stateside, and other than boot camp, I don't see a problem for the borrower to respond.

SSRA is not a get out of debt free regulation. It does delay legal action but does not prohibit reporting to credit bureaus or sending past due notices or making collection calls. It won't do any good to call and threaten something that you cannot enforce, so if the borrower is cooperative,its best to work out a mutually agreed repayment program.

Return to Top
#108713 - 08/21/03 06:38 PM Re: SSCRA - Collection Efforts
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I see nothing wrong with this. It may be an oversight that needs their attention. Johnny is going overseas. He asks his friend to pay his bills. He doesn't know his friend is spending all his money until you contact him. Does this happen, you betcha. Johnny came home, his money was gone, he was overdrawn, furniture and tires were sold and friend MIA.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#108714 - 09/08/03 08:32 PM Re: SSCRA - Collection Efforts
krmabyrd Offline
New Poster
krmabyrd
Chicago Southland
Thanks for the feedback... greatly appreciated.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z