Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1072100 - 10/28/08 06:30 PM Monetary Instrument Sales to Non-Customers
Compliance Lover Offline
Platinum Poster
Have most of you quit selling monetary instruments to non-customers or have you just put a limit on the dollar amount? If you have placed a limit (say less than $3,000) do you still obtain the name/address information that is required for $3,000 and over?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1072111 - 10/28/08 06:36 PM Re: Monetary Instrument Sales to Non-Customers Compliance Lover
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
We do not sell to noncustomers.

Return to Top
#1072142 - 10/28/08 06:59 PM Re: Monetary Instrument Sales to Non-Customers AuditorK
ktac MITCH Offline
Diamond Poster
ktac MITCH
Giant side of TX
Originally Posted By: AuditorK
We do not sell to noncustomers.

Ditto for us

Return to Top
#1072166 - 10/28/08 07:25 PM Re: Monetary Instrument Sales to Non-Customers ktac MITCH
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
We will only sell to non-customers if they are exchanging an on-us check. (no cash back can be received, just check for check)

We do not sell to non-customers with cash.

Return to Top
#1072180 - 10/28/08 07:39 PM Re: Monetary Instrument Sales to Non-Customers WonderWoman
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Same as newbsa here.

Return to Top
#1072216 - 10/28/08 08:11 PM Re: Monetary Instrument Sales to Non-Customers Skittles
Compliance Lover Offline
Platinum Poster
Ok, thanks. I plant to put a stop to it here too. It will make my life easier.

Return to Top
#1072329 - 10/28/08 10:50 PM Re: Monetary Instrument Sales to Non-Customers Compliance Lover
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Take a close look at how eliminating the practice will ease your 314(a) searches. Six months after you stop selling checks to anyone other than your own depositors and borrowers you will have no need to review purchasers of official checks in connection with 314(a) queries.

If you looked at your loans and you looked at your deposits and Mustafa's name does not appear there it's certainly not going to be found in your list of official check purchasers. (You are not required to check payees against 314(a) lists.)

I suggest you track newbsa's thought process...a flat prohibition on selling to non customers is more than you need and can create a problem when the non customer wants to purchase the official check with an on-us check.

Return to Top
#1088608 - 11/26/08 07:03 PM Re: Monetary Instrument Sales to Non-Customers Elwood P. Dowd
Kelsey D Offline
Platinum Poster
Ohio
Originally Posted By: Ken_Pegasus
I suggest you track newbsa's thought process...a flat prohibition on selling to non customers is more than you need and can create a problem when the non customer wants to purchase the official check with an on-us check.

Will selling to non-customers in these instances affect 314(a) searches? We had a situation where a non-customer came in with one of our cashier's check payable to her and wanted to take some cash and put the rest back into a new cashier's check. We didn't allow it because we don't allow non-customers to purchase official checks. We also turn away non-customers who want to exchange on-us checks for cashier's checks. Wouldn't these non-customers be the purchasers, thus requiring us to search their names against the 314(a) list?

Return to Top
#1088687 - 11/26/08 08:01 PM Re: Monetary Instrument Sales to Non-Customers Kelsey D
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Kelsey,

I am no longer a banker, so I don't suffer the problems of dealing with the 314(a) lists any more. So, forgive me please if I miss the mark here. Don't the 314(a) instructions require you to check monetary purchases for which you are required to maintain a record under the cash purchases rules? If that's the case, why would you be concerned about a non-cash transaction such as the payment of an on-us check with a cashier's check? -- Or have they changed the rules since I stopped working as a banker and started working FOR bankers?
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1088693 - 11/26/08 08:06 PM Re: Monetary Instrument Sales to Non-Customers John Burnett
SueBonen Offline
New Poster
Massachusetts
we stopped selling monetary instruments, as well as travelers checks and gift checks to noncustomers for cash a couple of years ago. The only cash sale we do for noncustomers is US Savings bonds, $1,000.00 or less.

Return to Top
#1088713 - 11/26/08 08:32 PM Re: Monetary Instrument Sales to Non-Customers SueBonen
Kelsey D Offline
Platinum Poster
Ohio
Wow, John! I think you may be right. It may have been unnecessary for me to be a "bad guy" in so many instances.

From FinCEN's FAQ's:

5. What records should a financial institution search?

Unless noted otherwise in the instructions to a 314(a) request, a financial institution is required to conduct a one-time search of the following records, whether or not they are kept electronically (subject to the limitations below): ... (3) records of the sale of monetary instruments (e.g., cashier's checks, money orders, or traveler's checks) maintained pursuant to 31 CFR 103.29 to determine whether a named subject purchased a monetary instrument...

31 CFR 103.29 of course refers to recordkeeping requirements for cash sales of monetary instruments of $3,000 to $10,000.

Thanks for enlightening me!

Return to Top
#1088970 - 11/28/08 02:13 PM Re: Monetary Instrument Sales to Non-Customers Kelsey D
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
As for the sale of monetary instruments I ditto New BSA and John. What reporting requirements are there for savings bonds?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z