Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#109173 - 08/22/03 02:16 PM app fee on re
Anonymous
Unregistered

We recently started doing Fannie secondary loans. We collect a $300 app fee with we use to pay for the credit and the appraisal, but those vary according to what DU calls for. On the HUD how should you handle? For example, if my appraisal is $250, but my credit report only is $22 that adds to $272, we have collected $300. Lending wants to keep additional $28 and not apply as a POC credit to anthing else of the buyers costs. My concern, I know I don't have to include the appraisal fee or the credit fee in the finance charge, but what about the $28 left. Do I have to show as a separate entry? These will vary alsmost on every customer, what is the best way to handle.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#109174 - 08/22/03 02:22 PM Re: app fee on re
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I think I'd just show the $300 app fee and then not anything else, no credit report or appraisal. What you pay with that fee is then up to you, and you've disclosed to the borrower that you're charging an app fee of $300.

Return to Top
#109175 - 08/22/03 02:23 PM Re: app fee on re
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Do you keep this fee whether the loan is closed or not and do you charge everyone? If so, from what I remember that's not a prepaid finance charge.

Return to Top
#109176 - 08/22/03 02:36 PM Re: app fee on re
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Do you keep this fee whether the loan is closed or not and do you charge everyone? If so, from what I remember that's not a prepaid finance charge.

Yes we charge the $300 on every app. so I should be OK there. So if I treat as a straight $300 app fee, then on the HUD I can show the $300 as a POC? Would you even then show the cost for the appraisala and credit?

Return to Top
#109177 - 08/22/03 02:52 PM Re: app fee on re
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Quote:

Yes we charge the $300 on every app. so I should be OK there. So if I treat as a straight $300 app fee, then on the HUD I can show the $300 as a POC? Would you even then show the cost for the appraisala and credit?

Yes, show as $300 POC to bank. No, don't bother showing the cost for appraisal and credit, but state somewhere in your policies or disclosures that you use the $300 to cover the cost of appraisal and credit. That will forestall questions down the line.

Return to Top
#109178 - 08/22/03 03:11 PM Re: app fee on re
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN

HUD’s Response to Questions from the Massachusetts Bankers Association

Q: The bank collects an application fee. These monies are for the appraisal and credit report. The GFE show the fees paid on line #808. The designated providers are given at application. On line #800 on the HUD -1, is the bank also required to enter the names of the providers on line #808 of the Settlement Statement?

A: The amount of the “application fee” should be disclosed on the GFE and the settlement statement, on line 808 or any other blank line in the 800 series. Sicne this fee is payable at or near the time of application, it should be marked as POC and the charge should not be used in computing the totals. The specific charges relating to the appraisal and the credit report must then be broken out on lines 803 and 804. As per the instructions, these line must identify the name of the person or firm ultimately receiving the payment, and also be marked as POC (See Instructions). To assure that there is no confusion about double charges, fees listed in line number 803 or 804 should indicate that those fees are included in the “application fee” amount, or alternatively, the line in the 800 series containing the “application fee” could include an annotation clarifying that the charge includes those fees listed in 803 or 804.

Return to Top
#109179 - 08/22/03 03:20 PM Re: app fee on re
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Oops, Dan's right. I always forget about those stupid MAB questions. Sorry!

Return to Top
#109180 - 08/22/03 03:29 PM Re: app fee on re
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK so I show the actual appraisal cost on line 803, and the actual credit bureau cost on line 804. Say those add to $275. What if anything do I do with the $25 left over. I am confused where to show this, again we wish to keep the leftover if any. This is the part I am having issue with.

Return to Top
#109181 - 08/22/03 05:00 PM Re: app fee on re
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You don't need to "break out" the $25. This is also addressed in the questions from the MBA. #17 page 6 of my copy. I don't have a link to it or I'd post it for you.

"The regulation specify that for all items, except those paid to and retained by the lender , the name of the person or firm ultimately reciving the payment should be shown." (See Instructions). (The see instructions is referring to Appendix A.)

Return to Top
#109182 - 08/22/03 05:59 PM Re: app fee on re
Ski Offline
Platinum Poster
South Louisiana
Dan, is there a link to that MBA reference (the HUD Q & A's). I remember reading it, but it seemed a long time ago and I can't put my hands on it.

Thanks

Return to Top
#109183 - 08/22/03 06:50 PM Re: app fee on re
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Why not show the Application Deposit on line 204 and then list the Credit report and appraisal in the 800's as you normally do? This will allow the customer to see their deposit and show the fees as well. The fees offset each other. This wouldn't allow the bank to keep the extra $28, but it is clean.

Return to Top
#109184 - 08/22/03 07:15 PM Re: app fee on re
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

Dan, is there a link to that MBA reference (the HUD Q & A's). I remember reading it, but it seemed a long time ago and I can't put my hands on it. Thanks

I found the link.

HUD's Response to Questions from the Massachuetts Bankers Association

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z