Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1097256 - 12/15/08 04:10 PM Name change
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Here's the situation:

Customer comes in to open an account. The driver's license presented and SS card presented show different last names. The teller opening the account questions the customer and they indicate that the discrepancy is due to marriage.

Should we be asking for additional documentation to support this (i.e. - marriage license)? If we don't, how do we know this person is who they say they are and isn't involved in ID theft? We don't use a third-party verification services (i.e. - Chex systems) to help us.

Does the answer change if the teller knows the individual and knows she was just married? In this case, is a note on the documentation sufficient?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1097458 - 12/15/08 07:26 PM Re: Name change AuditorK
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
This would be considered a discrepancy- name on ID does not match name on account. Discrepancy resolutions are addressed in our CIP policy/procedures. We require documentation- legal document for name change (marriage license, etc), lease agreement/utility bill for address. It makes no difference if the teller knows the individual.
However, if the DL matches the account name we would not need additional documentation. We don't normally ask to see the SS card on a new customer so we wouldn't know that the name of the card was different.
Last edited by nemsi; 12/15/08 07:30 PM.
Return to Top
#1097531 - 12/15/08 08:44 PM Re: Name change nemsi
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
In this case, we were given the DL but the name differed from what the customer told us. Instead of a marriage license, the teller took a SS card with a name that matches what the customer provided. The problem I had was that nothing tied the name on the SS card to the name on the DL, and I was looking for a marriage license to provide the connection.

Return to Top
#1098475 - 12/17/08 02:06 PM Re: Name change AuditorK
MagicCity Offline

Power Poster
MagicCity
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
In this scenario we would ask for a copy of the marriage license.

Return to Top
#1098493 - 12/17/08 02:22 PM Re: Name change MagicCity
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
Same here- we would ask for marriage license.

Return to Top
#1099283 - 12/18/08 01:38 PM Re: Name change AuditorK
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
I'm of the belief that we need to get a document that ties the two names together. Otherwise, how do we know Person A (the person on the DL) is the same person as Person B (on the other form of ID). Person A could have stolen the other ID documents from Person B, and is now posing as Person B. I'm just getting a lot of flak from the front line staff about having to ask the customer to bring in their marriage license. Of course, I'm being told that this is unreasonable and it will anger and drive off customers.

Return to Top
#1099296 - 12/18/08 01:46 PM Re: Name change AuditorK
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Sorry, but I believe most banks would require this. I know we would. Don't you just love arguments that compliance nulifies 'good customer service'. I hear that at this institution all of the time. The 'front line' should tell the customer that this is to help prevent identity theft. That might help smooth it over a little bit; however this individual is also going to have to show the marriage license to the social security administration to change her SSN.

Return to Top
#1099413 - 12/18/08 03:37 PM Re: Name change Skittles
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Thanks for the reinforcement Duchess. Sometimes I feel like I'm in the minority in my thinking...actually make that most of the time.

Return to Top
#1099761 - 12/18/08 07:37 PM Re: Name change AuditorK
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
If I understand what you're saying.... When i got married i took by marriage license, which had my name the day i got married (that name matched my account)and my husband's name (the name I assumed), and took it to the bank to get my name changed on my accounts. There was no issue with my bank. I did that prior to going to DMV or social security. So you're saying that with my marriage license you would still need a second document showing my married name?

Return to Top
#1100147 - 12/19/08 02:51 PM Re: Name change nemsi
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Nemsi:

No, what I'm saying is that I want to see the marriage license with both the old name and the new name on. This will tie together the other two forms of ID that the customer presented - each with a different name showing. My front line staff don't think they need to bother the customer for the marriage license. In some cases I get the old "I know this person and I know she married John Doe a few months ago".

Return to Top
#1100282 - 12/19/08 04:27 PM Re: Name change AuditorK
nemsi Offline
Gold Star
AuditorK
Sorry about that...now I understand! We would definitely require that marriage license.

Return to Top
#1100894 - 12/22/08 04:20 PM Re: Name change nemsi
#Just Jay Online
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
We also require the marriage certificate, or divorce decree, or other court directive in these circumstances.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z