Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#109898 - 08/26/03 06:54 PM Best Sports Venue
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Picking up from another thread. What's the best sports venue where you've attended a game?

For me it has to be Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, NC - home of the Cameron Crazies and Duke University basketball! [in best Dickie V impersonation voice]It's AWESOME, BABY with a capital A.
Last edited by MagicBanker; 08/28/03 01:36 AM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#109899 - 08/26/03 07:08 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Oh Magic...you just know this is going to get ugly!

I was fortunate enough to have a wonderful seat provided to me (right behind home plate under the net) at Fenway. I must say...I really enjoyed being at the stadium where it all began...and I don't even care much about Baseball.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#109900 - 08/26/03 07:26 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ugly is right, because if someone does not pick Wrigley Field, then they have never been there But putting aside my bias, I will pick two alternatives: 1. The old Chicago Stadium for a Blackhawk game; and 2. Coors Field - saw a Rockies game there in 1999 and I was very close to enjoying that park as much as the Mecca itself.

Return to Top
#109901 - 08/26/03 07:30 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
I really enjoyed Safeco Field, but then again, I have never been to Wrigley.

Return to Top
#109902 - 08/26/03 07:37 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
downstown Offline
Gold Star
St. Louis, MO
As much as I enjoy watching baseball games at Busch stadium, I must agree with CubDave about Wrigley Field. There's just something about that place.

I also enjoyed watching hockey at the old Arena in St. Louis (Savvis is OK, but just not the same intensity).

Return to Top
#109903 - 08/26/03 07:55 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
I probably should say Rupp Arena, since I'm a UK fan and the place feels awesome because of the history and my fandom, but I won't, because quite frankly the place isn't consistently rowdy enough.

Probably the best sports venue I have ever been to was Racer Arena at Murray State University. While it was replaced by the stale and sterile Regional Special Events Center a few seasons ago, Racer Arena epitomized home court advantage and explained why high profile programs were hesitant to play a road game against a "Mid-Major" basketball program. The seats were packed tight to the floor and the place was always loud and packed for games against MSU's biggest rivals. Students paid nothing to attend games and all sat (or shall I say stood) on one side of the arena. It was a great place to see a game.

Cub, have you seen ESPN's Page 2 Ballpark Tour ? They give much love to Wrigley, # 4 ranking so far with few stadiums remaining to be reviewed that should be able to overtake it?

Return to Top
#109904 - 08/26/03 08:04 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did see that Rusty - I thought it was very fair actually.

Return to Top
#109905 - 08/26/03 08:04 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Wrigley was closed when I was in town, so they'll have to wait for my vote until my next visit.

I did however remember a great sports venue I was quite impressed with...

The Roman Colloseum in Cologne is kinda spiffy

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#109906 - 08/26/03 08:39 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
Wouldn't it be super to be paid to see a game in all the major league parks? (All though Page 2 has divided the task between Jeff Merron and Jim Caple.) I'm sure they get to expense everything as well. Of course, they had to sit through a Tigers' game.....

Return to Top
#109907 - 08/26/03 08:43 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
I know this will be war, but Yankee Stadium for baseball.

And you really have to be inside Madison Square Garden when the place is rocking. (not much rocking going on lately though)

Return to Top
#109908 - 08/26/03 09:09 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Dollar Bill Offline
100 Club
Dollar Bill
Midwest
I would have to say that the best venues are two college football statiums:
1. Notre Dame Stadium
2. Nebraska Cornhusker Stadium.
I just find the college football atmoshphere awesome!

Return to Top
#109909 - 08/26/03 09:19 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
You haven't seen anything yet until you see a Texas A & M football game - I'm originally from Illinois, I was totally amazed - truly a spectacle and I really enjoyed it -
No cheerleaders - just 6 yell leaders - all guys.
The whole crowd cheers with the yell leaders - trust me they do!
And they 'Hiss' at the opponents and refs.
After a score the guys kiss their gals!!!
They come the night before the first home game for a midnight yell practice - only place I've ever seen the crowd practice how to cheer, and kiss their girls!!

Truly amazing!

Return to Top
#109910 - 08/26/03 09:24 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
baseballfan Offline
100 Club
baseballfan
Midwest
As much as I am not a Cub fan, I have to agree with Wrigley being one of the best Sports venues. There is nothing like sitting in the right field bleachers on a nice spring day(that is when I was there anyway).

I have been to many baseball stadiums and have not really found one I did not like.

Return to Top
#109911 - 08/26/03 09:28 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's ok Marcie - let your inner Cubdom come out!

Return to Top
#109912 - 08/26/03 09:37 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
IMO, the best sports venue is "Between the Hedges". Sanford Stadium, Athens, GA.

Return to Top
#109913 - 08/26/03 09:49 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
baseballfan Offline
100 Club
baseballfan
Midwest
CubDave, I am a Cardinal fan at heart and love to have the Cub/Cardinal argument with friends every year--even if it is last place they are fighting for!

Return to Top
#109914 - 08/26/03 09:50 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
There's nothing like a football game at Lambeau Field in January. You can just feel the tradition, and there's never an empty seat in the house.

Return to Top
#109915 - 08/26/03 09:58 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Texas Stadium (I admit I'm biased) for pro / Notre Dame for college.

Return to Top
#109916 - 08/26/03 10:05 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

CubDave, I am a Cardinal fan at heart and love to have the Cub/Cardinal argument with friends every year--even if it is last place they are fighting for!

That's ok - my best friend lives here, is from Iowa, and we have an annual Cub/Card bet - granted, he has taken most of my money, but not this year. In fact, we are going to tip a few Thursday and watch the Z-Man take apart that Cards lineup.

Return to Top
#109917 - 08/26/03 10:49 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I know this will be war, but Yankee Stadium for baseball.
Quote:

I'm a sports fan and have been to quite a few stadiums in my travels as an examiner, and I'm sorry to disagree with you, but I was surprised when I went to Yankee Stadium that it was not already torn down- what a dump! I'm not against tradition though because I loved my experience at Wrigley Field.

Return to Top
#109918 - 08/27/03 01:45 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
SanibelGal Offline
SanibelGal
Fla
Quote:

IMO, the best sports venue is "Between the Hedges". Sanford Stadium, Athens, GA.

That would be my number one choice also for football, although my husband would choose the "Swamp" - Ben Hill Griffin Stadium in Gainesville, Fl. For baseball, The ballpark at Arlington.

Return to Top
#109919 - 08/27/03 03:07 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Kyle Field, College Station, home of the Fighting Texas Aggies is the best for college football. So much tradition and crowd participation with the yell leaders. Ags Win.

Return to Top
#109920 - 08/27/03 06:41 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Quote:

There's nothing like a football game at Lambeau Field in January. You can just feel the tradition, and there's never an empty seat in the house.

I was wondering why football (professional) was not receiving it's rightfull credit here. I agree with Lambeau. If you cherish professional football and its history, a visit to Lambeau is a must! However, since they remodeled the arena many of you are out of luck to have had a taste of history while it was still around.

Return to Top
#109921 - 08/27/03 08:03 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, I think most will agree that, in general, people prefer college football over pro. Green Bay is probably an exception to this rule, but in general, people are more passionate about college sports because 1)They actually went to the school, 2)They live in a state like South Carolina, where you are taught practically from birth that the college that your parents pull for is the only one on the face of the earth worth pulling for and all others are scum, and 3)College players are still striving for something. Most of them are still out trying to prove something. They are trying to get where the pros are. Whenever I go to a game where my team is one of the teams playing, there is instant comeraderie with those around you, regardless of whether or not you know them. I have been to several professional games and that is not the case. Just one man's opinion.

Return to Top
#109922 - 08/27/03 08:11 PM Re: Best Sports Venue
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
For the most part, I really think it depends on the sport. For baseball, Wrigley and Fenway are the best. Sorry, Ellen, but the House that Ruth built is shabby. George needs to spend some of that money on the stadium.

For college football, I have to vote for the Big House in Arbor at University of Michigan. When the band plays Hail to the Victors, the whole place shakes. Memorial Stadium in Lincoln (Nebraska) is pretty wild, too.

For pro football, it has to be Lambeau Field. It feels like a college game.

For college basketball, Cameron Indoor and Rupp Arena are the tops, IMO.

But the top sports venue is wherever the Army-Navy football game is played. The Cadets and the Mids (ALL OF THEM) march into the stadium, stand the whole game, they yell like crazy, they root for their team with all their might. The players never give up, they don't fold, they don't loaf, they don't showboat, they PLAY.

When the game is over, the first thing that happens is that both teams go to the winning student section and sing that school's alma mater. Then, both teams go to the other side of the field and sing the other alma mater. The winners are crying because they are elated. The losers are crying because they are crushed.

If you see a game in person and aren't affected by all this spirit, then you have to be dead.

GO NAVY!!! BEAT ARMY!!!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3