Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1101856 - 12/23/08 10:51 PM Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Hey all you camera buffs, I have an opportunity to purchase a Nikon D50 with three lenses. Has anyone had experience with this camera and be willing to give me your thoughts? I've always wanted to move to a digital SLR, but have balked at the price. I can get this one for $300 from someone I know and trust. It's around 2 years old.

Whaddaya think?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1101862 - 12/23/08 11:03 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 buggs
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Looks like a good deal to me. The best price I could find for a used D50 body on Amazon (without any lenses) was $300.

KEH

Here is a 3 year old review: D50

Last edited by Linus; 12/23/08 11:04 PM.

Return to Top
#1101871 - 12/23/08 11:25 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 The OG Zaibatsu
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
may want to hit Becka Marr with a PM on this one, this sounds up her alley...

Return to Top
#1101936 - 12/24/08 01:16 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 HappyGilmore
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
I don't think you can go wrong with Nikon's, but at 6.1 megapixels, you won't be able to enlarge your shots as much as some of the others out there. I have a Canon 20d, it's 8.1 MP, wich is about as low as I'd go for a DSLR. I love my camera, but I wish I had waited another year to buy it. It was cutting edge when I bought it, but the models out now blow it away...And they're generally $500 cheaper.

$300 with lenses is a pretty good deal though. I think I have $3000 invested in my DSLR, plus lenses and peripherals.

Return to Top
#1102006 - 12/24/08 02:54 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 FBH
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Thanks for posts everyone. I agree with you FHB. One side of me says, "Wow! Three lenses and a body for $300." And another side says, "Oh. That's not very much on the megapixels side." I don't know if I should hold out for a professional grade camera or settle for the consumer grade box.

Return to Top
#1102043 - 12/24/08 03:12 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 buggs
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
I have the Nikon D200 and LOVE it! I used a Nikon F3 35 mm camera for over 30 years but got tired of carrying all of the film (especially on vacation) I switched to digital a year ago. For a housewarming present I just enlarged two of my prints from Disney and photoshopped them to sepia tone for my friends. Even at 11 X 14 the detail was still amazing - I would highly recommend at least a 10 megapixel camera. I splurged and got an 18 - 200 zoom lens that I pretty much use exclusively. It's hefty to carry around but I deal with it. Nikons are awesome cameras! It does sound like a good deal but you would be dealing with the lower megapixels - unless you are considering enlarged prints it would probably do you fine.

Return to Top
#1102052 - 12/24/08 03:15 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 Mocha's Mom
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
Bugs,

fwiw, you may find that the lenses alone are worth the $300. If you find later that you need more megapixels, you can always buy a new Nikon body and use the same lenses.

Return to Top
#1102106 - 12/24/08 03:56 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 Big Dog
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
Originally Posted By: big-dog
Bugs,

fwiw, you may find that the lenses alone are worth the $300. If you find later that you need more megapixels, you can always buy a new Nikon body and use the same lenses.

Good advice. I don't know about Nikons, but my Canon SLR lenses still work well on my DSLR. The difference is that any non-DSLR lenses zoom like 1.5 times closer than the DSLR. I have a 300mm SLR lens, that expands to 500mm. I doubt I have the terminology right, I'm basically an amateur, but a friend of mine that is a very good photographer told me about the difference between using a non-DSLR lens on a DSLR camera.

Return to Top
#1102119 - 12/24/08 04:07 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 buggs
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny
Thanks for posts everyone. I agree with you FHB. One side of me says, "Wow! Three lenses and a body for $300." And another side says, "Oh. That's not very much on the megapixels side." I don't know if I should hold out for a professional grade camera or settle for the consumer grade box.

I disagree with FHB unless you are planning on making very large posters of the pictures. 6.1 megapixels is fine for making very big pictures that still look great. You should be able to go up to 11 X 16 wtihout any problem. Even if you go larger than that, they'll still look good.

From David Pogue, NYT:

But one myth is so deeply ingrained, millions of people waste money on it every year. I’m referring, of course, to the Megapixel Myth.

It goes like this: “The more megapixels a camera has, the better the pictures.”

It’s a big fat lie. The camera companies and camera stores all know it, but they continue to exploit our misunderstanding. Advertisements declare a camera’s megapixel rating as though it’s a letter grade, implying that a 7-megapixel model is necessarily better than a 5-megapixel model.

A megapixel is one million tiny colored dots in a photo. It seems logical that more megapixels would mean a sharper photo. In truth, though, it could just mean a terrible photo made of more dots. A camera’s lens, circuitry and sensor — not to mention your mastery of lighting, composition and the camera’s controls — are far more important factors.

I can show you plenty of enlargements from a 4-megapixel camera that look much sharper and better than ones from an 8-megapixel model. Meanwhile, a camera with more megapixels usually costs more, and its photos fill up your memory card and hard drive much faster. And more densely packed pixels on a sensor chip means more heat, which can introduce speckles into low-light shots.

But you can repeat this lesson until you’re blue in the newspaper column, and some people still won’t believe you. They still worry that their 5-megapixel camera from 2005 is obsolete. They still feel sales pressure when shopping for new cameras.

I created three versions of the same photograph, showing a cute baby with spiky hair in a rowboat. One was a 5-megapixel shot, one was 8 megapixels and one was 13.

I asked 291 Digital, a New York graphic imaging company whose clients include ad agencies and fashion companies, to print each one at a posterlike 16 by 24 inches. (They were digital C prints, printed on Durst Lambda at 400 dpi, if that means anything to you.)

We mounted the three prints on a wall in Union Square in Manhattan. Then, cameras rolling, we asked passers-by if they could see any difference.

A small crowd gathered, and several dozen people volunteered to take the test. They were allowed to mash their faces up against the print, step back and squint, whatever they liked.

Only one person correctly identified which were the low-, medium-, and high-resolution prints. Everybody else either guessed wrong or gave up, conceding that there was absolutely no difference.

(Test performed by a professional photographer)

Using a professional camera (the 16.7-megapixel Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II) in his studio, he would take three photos of the same subject, zooming out each time. Then, by cropping out the background until the subject filled the same amount of the frame in each shot, he would wind up with nearly identical photos at three different resolutions: 7 megapixels, 10 and 16.7. “Frankly, I’m interested in the results as well,” he wrote.

I gave him a green light for the new test.

His choice of subject also put to rest another objection to my original test. Instead of a smooth-skinned baby, Mr. Vener’s model was positively bristling with detail: curly hair, textured clothing, a vividly patterned background and a spectacular multicolored tattoo on a hairy arm.

We set up the new 16-by-24-inch enlargements on identical easels at a public library. (Why the library? Because it was warm, it was flooded with natural light and its director gave me permission.) Clipboard in hand, we conducted the test again.

Surprise, surprise: the results were the same. This time, out of about 50 test subjects, only three could say which photo was which.

So is the lesson, “Megapixels don’t matter?”

Not exactly.

First of all, having some extra megapixels can be extremely useful in one important situation: cropping. You can crop out unwanted background and still have enough pixels left for a decent print. (Blog comment No. 376, for example, imagines “a child’s face that looked priceless at the time the shot was taken — and it occupied 5 percent of the photo. For this rare occasion, it is worth being safe rather than sorry.”)

Of course, it’s better to get your composition right when you take the photo, but this is still a great trick to fall back on.

Megapixels may matter to professionals, too, especially those who produce photos for wall-size retail displays. And even in consumer cameras, there are certainly limits to the irrelevance of megapixels; my test went only to 16 by 24 inches, which is the biggest I figured most amateurs would go.

(As one reader put it: “Why not downsample your photo to 1 pixel by 1 pixel, and then print 16-by-24-foot pictures?” Well, yes, then you’d see a difference.)

The actual lesson, then, is this: “For the nonprofessional, five or six megapixels is plenty, even if you intend to make poster-size prints.”

Unfortunately, blowing up the Megapixel Myth also takes away a convenient crutch for millions of camera shoppers. If you’re torn between two camera models, you now know that you shouldn’t use the megapixel rating as a handy one-digit comparison score.

So what replaces it? What other handy comparison grade is there?

Unfortunately, there’s no such thing. Take advice from your friends, take sample shots if you get a chance, and read the reviews at nytimes.com, cnet.com, dpreview.com and dcresource.com. What can I say? Life is rarely black and white; it’s far more often filled with shades of gray.

Last edited by Linus; 12/24/08 04:08 PM.

Return to Top
#1102134 - 12/24/08 04:18 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 The OG Zaibatsu
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Good advice, and I totally agree with the megapixel argument, Linus.

The main reason that I'm concerned about megapixels is that I'm seriously considering trying to begin selling my photos. I've been exploring stock photo sites and thinking about printing and matting my photos to sell in higher end craft malls and shops. I need something that will look great when printed at a larger size. My current camera is only 3 megapixels and I have made some very nice shots with it, I think. (Perhaps Becka can tell me I'm right. smile )

My main love is shooting flowers and other natural scenes -- making photos of people is not my thing.

Return to Top
#1102140 - 12/24/08 04:25 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 buggs
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Good advice, and I totally agree with the megapixel argument, Linus.

The main reason that I'm concerned about megapixels is that I'm seriously considering trying to begin selling my photos. I've been exploring stock photo sites and thinking about printing and matting my photos to sell in higher end craft malls and shops. I need something that will look great when printed at a larger size. My current camera is only 3 megapixels and I have made some very nice shots with it, I think. (Perhaps Becka can tell me I'm right. smile )

My main love is shooting flowers and other natural scenes -- making photos of people is not my thing.

If this is someone you trust, ask him to let you use the camera for a week. Tell him you will rent it from him for $25. If you buy it, the $25 goes toward the cost of the camera. If not, then he just made $25.

Return to Top
#1102153 - 12/24/08 04:35 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 buggs
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
As I stated in another thread, I bought my fiance a DSLR last year for Christmas, it is an Olympus E510, and it takes some pretty great pics. She just needs to learn how to REALLY use it and the myriad of features on it.

Return to Top
#1102195 - 12/24/08 05:01 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 The OG Zaibatsu
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Yes, I am going to borrow it for a couple of weeks. The camera belongs to the parents of my daughter's boyfriend. They have already said I could use it for a couple of weeks or a month to see how I like it.

Return to Top
#1102241 - 12/24/08 05:35 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 MB Guy
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
She just needs to learn how to REALLY use it and the myriad of features on it.

You could say that about a variety of subjects when it comes to the women in our lives. smile

Return to Top
#1102298 - 12/24/08 06:50 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 The OG Zaibatsu
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Bugs, it all depends on the lenses. The D50 is a decent "beginners DSLR". I wouldn't bee too awfully concerned with the fact that it is only 6.1MP.

After all, if you can't take a decent picture, it doesn't matter how many megapixels it is.

Return to Top
#1102330 - 12/24/08 10:00 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 Bimmer
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
I agree with Bimmer. I think you are getting a deal, but I would check the quality of the lenses with a reputable camera shop or online reviewer. Regardless of the body, the quality of the picture will be dictated by having a decent lens.

Return to Top
#1102348 - 12/26/08 06:02 AM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 buggs
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
may want to hit Becka Marr with a PM on this one, this sounds up her alley...

I use a Nikon FM2 with a mid-range zoom lens. 35mm film. Fully manual.

Occasionally I look at the ratings & reviews for digital SLRs, and generally speaking the best buys are either Canon or Nikon. But I can't tell you anything about the D50, specifically.

My current camera is only 3 megapixels and I have made some very nice shots with it, I think. (Perhaps Becka can tell me I'm right. smile )

Yes, you have made some very nice images with it smile

Return to Top
#1102437 - 12/26/08 04:33 PM Re: Digital camera buffs - Nikon D50 Becka Marr
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Thank you, Becka. smile

Return to Top