Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1104120 - 12/31/08 02:46 AM Re: Wacky Laws Sing A Little
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Quote:
5. In West Virginia, anyone who taunts someone who decides not to participate in a duel or who declines to accept a challenge is guilty of a misdemeanor and can be sent to jail for up to six months and fined up to $100.

Which begs the question, are duels still legal in WV??

Return to Top
#1104136 - 12/31/08 07:08 AM Re: Wacky Laws #Just Jay
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
We still have some good ones here in California:

Stupid laws in California

My favorite:

In Los Angeles, a man is legally entitled to beat his wife with a leather belt or strap, but the belt can’t be wider than 2 inches, unless he has his wife’s consent to beat her with a wider strap.

whistle

Return to Top
#1104327 - 12/31/08 04:54 PM Re: Wacky Laws Princess Romeo
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Quote:
In Alabama it is against the law to alter the natural appearance of the teeth of a horse or mule to make the animal appear younger than it actually is.

Horse for sale, actual miles! wink

Return to Top
#1104369 - 12/31/08 05:30 PM Re: Wacky Laws Princess Romeo
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Originally Posted By: Bonnie M
We still have some good ones here in California:

Stupid laws in California

My favorite:

In Los Angeles, a man is legally entitled to beat his wife with a leather belt or strap, but the belt can’t be wider than 2 inches, unless he has his wife’s consent to beat her with a wider strap.

whistle

the bigger it is the less it hurts

Return to Top
#1104371 - 12/31/08 05:32 PM Re: Wacky Laws *nUnZeO*
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
When two trains meet each other at a railroad crossing, each shall come to a full stop, and neither shall proceed until the other has gone.

It is illegal to take more than three sips of beer at a time while standing.

Up to a felony charge can be levied for promoting the use of, or owning more than six dildos.

It is illegal for one to shoot a buffalo from the second story of a hotel.

It is illegal to milk another person's cow.

A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.

Homosexual behavior is a misdemeanor offense.

The entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned in Texas because it contains a formula for making beer at home.

It is illegal to idle or loiter anyplace within the corporate limits of the city for the purpose of flirting or mashing. (Abilene )

Wire cutters can not be carried in your pocket. (Austin )

Collegiate football is banned at Lamar University. (Beaumont )

It is against the law to throw confetti, rubber balls, feather dusters, whips or quirts (riding crop), and explosive firecrackers of any kind. (Borger )

It is illegal to dust any public building with a feather duster. (Clarendon )

It's illegal to possess realistic dildos. (Dallas )

Urinating on the streets is illegal. (El Paso )

Appearing in public places wearing a "lewd dress" is prohibited. (El Paso )

Churches, hotels, halls of assembly, stores, markets, banking rooms, railroad depots, and saloons are required to provide spittoons "of a kind and number to efficiently contain expectorations into them." (El Paso )

Landing an airplane on the beach is illegal. (Galveston )

Any person who sits on a sidewalk may be fined up to $500. (Galveston )

It is illegal to drive a motor car down Broadway before noon on Sundays. (Galveston )

No person amy disturb a church service by swearing. (Harker Heights )

Drivers of city vehicles must respect all traffic rules just like the rest of us. (Harker Heights )

It is illegal to sell Limburger cheese on Sunday. (Houston )

Beer may not be purchased after midnight on a Sunday, but it may be purchased on Monday.(Houston )

It is illegal to take more than three swallows of beer while standing. (LeFors )

It is illegal to drive within an arm's length of alcohol - including alcohol in someone else's blood stream. (Lubbock County )

It is illegal for children to have unusual haircuts. (Mesquite )

Obnoxious odors may not be emitted while in an elevator. (Port Arthur )

It is illegal to do "U Turns". (Richardson )

It is now illegal to place a "for sale" sign on a car if it visible from the street. (Richardson )

It is illegal to urinate on the Alamo. (San Antonio

Return to Top
#1104373 - 12/31/08 05:32 PM Re: Wacky Laws *nUnZeO*
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^FROM TEXAS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Return to Top
#1104392 - 12/31/08 05:52 PM Re: Wacky Laws *nUnZeO*
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
crazy

And those are still on the books?

Return to Top
#1104413 - 12/31/08 06:17 PM Re: Wacky Laws Bacon Boy
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
yep

Return to Top
#1104425 - 12/31/08 06:41 PM Re: Wacky Laws *nUnZeO*
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
<---- Guessing which of those laws Nunzeo breaks on a fairly consistent basis. shocked laugh

Return to Top
#1104428 - 12/31/08 06:47 PM Re: Wacky Laws GuitarDude
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
Quote:
In Alabama it is against the law to alter the natural appearance of the teeth of a horse or mule to make the animal appear younger than it actually is.

This is not a stupid law at all. It is designed to prevent fraud involving the sale of horses. Some people use horses to breed or work and some people will make the horse look younger (since the teeth are a great way to tell) to try to get more for their money.

Return to Top
#1104430 - 12/31/08 06:51 PM Re: Wacky Laws Sound Tactic
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I was wondering the same thing, GD. Goodness knows I'm guilty of a few.

Return to Top
#1104454 - 12/31/08 07:38 PM Re: Wacky Laws Sound Tactic
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: Complywithstuff
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
Quote:

This is not a stupid law at all. It is designed to prevent fraud involving the sale of horses. Some people use horses to breed or work and some people will make the horse look younger (since the teeth are a great way to tell) to try to get more for their money.

I agree and it probably pre-dates the laws that prohibit someone from tampering with the odometer in a car since back-in-the-day, horses were the main form of transportation.

I also agree with this law:

Quote:
In Kentucky it is illegal to sell, exchange, offer to sell or exchange, display, or possess living baby chicks, ducklings, or other fowl or rabbits that have been dyed or colored. It is also illegal to dye or color baby chicks, ducklings, fowl or rabbits. And unless they are at least two months old, the aforementioned animals must be sold in batches of six.

I would imagine this law was created to combat some of the very cruel commerce of selling baby chick, ducks and rabbits for Easter. The dye process could be quite damaging, and selling single baby animals as Easter pets would almost guaranty a hideous death to the critter.

However baby chicks, ducks and rabbits are sold for agricultural purposes, and agricultural buyers would almost certainly buy at least a half-dozen at a time.

Return to Top
#1104460 - 12/31/08 07:53 PM Re: Wacky Laws Princess Romeo
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Bonnie you might be right, but when I read it the first time I thought that perhaps people were selling birds that were not indigenous to an area and therefor the law was made to control commerce and limit natures exposure to possibly harmful birds. I am not quite sure though.

Return to Top
#1104461 - 12/31/08 07:55 PM Re: Wacky Laws Princess Romeo
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I do have to wonder though, what the impetus was for some of these laws:

• It is illegal to wipe one’s car with used underwear (San Francisco).
  • Prohibits elephants from strolling down Market Street unless they are on a leash (San Francisco).
  • One may not carry a lunch down the street between 11 and 1 o’clock (Riverside).
  • You are not permitted to wear cowboy boots unless you already own at least two cows (Blythe).
  • In Los Angeles, it is against the law to complain through the mail that a hotel has cockroaches, even if it is true.
  • It is illegal to set a mousetrap without a hunting license.
  • Redwood City has outlawed the frying of gravy.
  • In Santa Clara, it is forbidden to dedicate parking spaces to the patron saint of television.
  • Prostitutes in San Francisco are not obliged to make change for bills larger than $50.
  • The city of Mountain View proscribes calling pet fish by “names of aggressive content, e.g. ‘Biter’, ‘Killer’, ‘Sugar-Ray’”
  • Bicycles may not be ridden without “appropriate fashion accessories” anywhere in Santa Clara County (de facto law).
  • Detonating a nuclear device within the city limits results in a $500 fine (Chico).

Return to Top
#1104464 - 12/31/08 08:00 PM Re: Wacky Laws Sound Tactic
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I remember as a kid that baby chicks, ducks and rabbits dyed pink, blue, purple, yellow, etc. were available around Easter time.

Uninformed parents (or grandparents) thought these made darling Easter Gifts, so many small children would get a pink fuzzy chick at Easter. It was almost guaranteed that in a few weeks, the poor pink thing would be dead - starvation, thirst, being squished, you name it.

Most animal experts agree that a baby-anything is a poor choice of a gift for a small child. Many rescue groups will not adopt kittens or smaller puppies to families that have children under a certain age because of the grab and squeeze factor.

Return to Top
#1104467 - 12/31/08 08:04 PM Re: Wacky Laws *nUnZeO*
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Quote:
Up to a felony charge can be levied for promoting the use of, or owning more than six dildos.
Why would anyone need more than three?

Return to Top
#1104470 - 12/31/08 08:06 PM Re: Wacky Laws Blade Scrapper
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: My Three Wives
Quote:
Why would anyone need more than three?

Conjoined twins?

Return to Top