Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#110602 - 08/28/03 03:39 PM NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
ABirkla Offline
100 Club
ABirkla
Anyone attend the race at Bristol? It was mind boggling to be witness to the level of scorn received by Kurt Busch. I don't think he can misinterpret exactly how the fans felt.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#110603 - 08/28/03 03:58 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I did not attend but I saw it on TV. It is very unusual to have that many fans all of the same opinion! Even in the Earnhardt and Gordon heyday there was always kind of a division among cheers and boos. That was overwhelming on Saturday though! He brought it on himself with his attitude and actions. I love NASCAR it is just like one big Soap Opera!

Return to Top
#110604 - 08/28/03 06:26 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Wanna hear how bad someone here has NASCAR flu? She's responsible for filing the HMDA data and thought she'd schedule her vacation at the end of Feb, thru early March.

She got away with it last year...but this year I found her boss, locked her in a closet and tortured her until she understood that the NASCAR fan, can't go on vacation at that time of year.....the fan...bought tickets anyway, and recently learned she'd not be attending if she enjoyed her position. Now if that isn't having it bad!!! I don't know what is.

When the burn the Dawnie Doll at some race in Late Feb...you'll now understand why Cuz I'm just a big meanie

Heh Heh, a friend asked me if I'd like to go to Hawaii with her in Feb when some other girls are getting together for a trip...I decided after the fuss, I'd best stay at home too!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#110605 - 08/28/03 06:52 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
ABirkla Offline
100 Club
ABirkla
You better beware! February is the Daytona 500 and the Bristol spring race is in March. Who wouldn't want to visit sunny Florida in February and Bristol is always one big party! She may resort to physical harm.

Nascar fans are a breed of their own. Every type of alcohol known to man could be found at the campground we were at in Bristol. Once everyone had their fair share, a slip-in-slide was constructed down a very steep hill and some gentleman thought it would be a bright idea to slide down nude. Ouch!

Return to Top
#110606 - 08/28/03 07:22 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
NASCAR is my cure for insomnia. It's always on somewhere and something about the sound of those cars going round and round and round....................(SNOOZ - Oh where was I?) in circles puts me right to sleep!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#110607 - 08/28/03 07:47 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I missed the end of the race - fell asleep...
What happened?

Return to Top
#110608 - 08/28/03 08:09 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Kurt Bush won and when he exited his car in victory lane he was met with boos from the entire crowd of over 100,000, not a mixture, of boos and cheers, just boos. And in his speach which was going out over the PA system he appologized for booting Sterling Marlin and wrecking him which brought even more boos. It was pretty spectacular!

Return to Top
#110609 - 08/28/03 08:35 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
ABirkla Offline
100 Club
ABirkla
He also made reference to Dale Earnhardt, Sr saying something like it is not so bad to get boos because at least people know who you are. I guess he sees it as free publicity.

Return to Top
#110610 - 08/28/03 08:40 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

He also made reference to Dale Earnhardt, Sr

This reminds me of a story.

My son, now 28, was about 5 or 6 and he came to me and said he had decided to me a race car driver. I asked him what made him decide he wanted to do this and he said he knew he could win. I asked how he knew he could win and he said: "Becasue I'll be just like Earnhardt, I'll make a clean race dirty!" Of course I almost fell out of my chair laughing.

Return to Top
#110611 - 08/29/03 12:16 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Hate it that I missed that one. In NASCAR it's not the fact that you "boot" somebody, it's who you boot. A couple years ago, race after race, Kurt left plenty of paint on Jimmy Spencer's car (and vice versa) and the fans never got upset about that. Nevertheless, the next time Kurt sees a big silver car in the rear window he can kiss it goodbye.

My favorite Bristol finish was when Earnhardt pushed the 5 car across the finish line, sideways. Labonte still won the race, but didn't have much of a car left.

Return to Top
#110612 - 08/29/03 02:03 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
reinkesd Offline
100 Club
reinkesd
Connecticut
I hear Rubbermaid is going to ask Kurt to clean up his act. Bet they can help him with some organizers..., or maybe they'll send him out in one of their trash buckets.

Return to Top
#110613 - 08/29/03 02:38 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Yikes...wish I would have stayed awake.
I've only been watching for the past 2 years- but it is so very addicting!!! Go #8!

Return to Top
#110614 - 08/29/03 02:56 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
Anonymous
Unregistered

My bank is having a marketing promotional in which among other things required each office to decorate their branch. The NASCAR theme won 2nd place! Go Mark Martin!!! He's gonna win the championship one of these years. He remindes me of Jim Kelley!

Return to Top
#110615 - 08/29/03 04:10 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
ABirkla Offline
100 Club
ABirkla
I don't think anyone dislikes Mark Martin. He is one of the all around nice guys that never uses any of the "dirty" racing techniques to gain a position or win the race. When he lead the Bristol race every race fan from earnhardt to Stewart was cheering.

Return to Top
#110616 - 09/01/03 11:50 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Darlington: "Number 5 is alive! Loved it.

Hate that dollars so readily outweigh tradition and roots so Darlington loses its Labor Day race to Ca.

Return to Top
#110617 - 09/02/03 04:30 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
Karen Williams Offline
California

Hooray for Terry! I couldn't be happier for that man. I root for him every time I see a race. He is a true gentleman, and so deserving of some (more) success.

Return to Top
#110618 - 09/03/03 05:55 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
ABirkla Offline
100 Club
ABirkla
During a Nascar on Speedvision program, Mike Waltrip suggested the move from Darlington to California was not due to the alimighty $$$$. He suggested that it was a move of convenience for the fans sake. California is not as hot as Darlington this time of the year, therefore more tickets would be purchased. While he is a "good fella," somehow I don't think Nascar's inetentions didn't have something to do with money.

Return to Top
#110619 - 09/04/03 03:40 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

Kurt Bush won and when he exited his car in victory lane he was met with boos from the entire crowd of over 100,000, not a mixture, of boos and cheers, just boos. ....

It must be a different race y'all saw.

The response was far from overwhelming boos. In the same race in '99, Dale Earnhardt Sr "turned" Terry Labonte on the last lap then drove past him to win, now that caused overwhelming boos!

For the record, although on-line polls and surveys I've seen showed more support for Spencer than Busch, the difference was a very long way from overwhelming.

Did anyone see the (end of) the Darlington race last Sunday? - I was there. Lapped cars had been moving aside for more than ten laps at the end of the race as Terry Labonte pulled away to a greater and greater lead, then, in the middle of turns three-four on the LAST lap guess who slices into the path of Terry as he is within sight of the checkered flag? ..... Jimmy "****-wit" Spencer!

Sorry guys, Kurt Busch was right - he's a "never was been", and has no place in the top level of NASCAR competition.

Return to Top
#110620 - 09/07/03 04:09 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Richmond: Better than Saturday night at the dirt track! Why don't we get a BOL block of tickets for next year?

Solid finish for Texas Terry, moves him into the top ten in points, so I'm a happy camper.

Do you think there should be a rule: You can't stick a microphone in a driver's face and ask him what happened until he sees the tape and hears what the offending driver says? (Not that Kevin would be willing to wait to be interviewed to express his displeasure, but Robby might have been better satisfied.) All that adrenalin pumping, your career and your life on the line then you get nerfed? It's a prescription for testosterone-based thinking.

I'm not a fan, but Rusty Wallace's stock rose considerably with me one time when offered the opporunity to comment when he exited the infield care center he said, "I always say something stupid under these circumstances. Ask me again tomorrow."

Return to Top
#110621 - 09/08/03 03:39 PM Re: NASCAR - How bad have you got it?
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

Richmond: ....

There was a delicious irony in Harvick's behavior on Saturday night after his amusement on Friday night when Johnny sauter, a fellow driver to Harvick in the RCR team, punted Matt Kenseth aside (and after the race admitted it was deliberate) to take a win in the Busch race. It isn't so funny when you're the one that gets bumped, is it Kevin?

Return to Top