Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#1107902 - 01/08/09 09:00 PM Hold on government check - Reg CC
Anonymous
Unregistered

A customer has an unemployment check and is depositing it into their account. I know we can not put a case by case hold on the account but can we put an excpetion hold if it looks suspicious and we doubt the collectability? What if this customer is a repeat overdrafter? I know federal, state, and local government checks are considered low risk items but if it looks suspicious can we put the exception hold on?
Thank you

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#1107953 - 01/08/09 09:36 PM Re: Hold on government check - Reg CC Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was under the impression that as long as you give them the first $100 you could place a hold on anything-and even then if you suspect the check is fraud you can hold the $100. Of course once the hold expires though you have to release the funds.

Regardless of the typical risk of government items, several people will attempt to make counterfeit checks because they think bank's won't hold the item.

I'd check with one of the Guru's here, but I believe this to be the case.

#1107972 - 01/08/09 09:51 PM Re: Hold on government check - Reg CC Anonymous
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
If it looks suspicious (and you obviously don't really know this customer or you wouldn't be concerned), why accept it for deposit? Decline it for deposit and send it for collection.

#1108124 - 01/09/09 12:31 AM Re: Hold on government check - Reg CC BrendaC
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you have (valid) reason to doubt the collectibility of the item, you can place a hold without making $100 available, but I am with the previous poster. If you have an account where you would doubt the validity of a government check, you need to send it for collection. But my gut reaction would be to dismiss the customer if I was that concerned about their account activity.

#1109495 - 01/12/09 09:40 PM Re: Hold on government check - Reg CC Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is the url to verify treasury checks.
https://tcva.fms.treas.gov/approot/tcva/TCVA_Welcome.html?

#1109690 - 01/13/09 02:01 PM Re: Hold on government check - Reg CC Anonymous
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
The only hold you can place on a local government check, presented in person, payable to that person, would be a large deposit exception hold, redeposit check, new account (only the amount over $5K)

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale