Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1109427 - 01/12/09 08:48 PM Verify SSN Cards???
Rangers Fan Offline
Gold Star
Rangers Fan
We are using a new product now to assist in Red Flag/CIP verification and have a couple of markets in areas with high Hispanic populations. These areas are also having the most instances of current customers that have banked with us for some time and have come back in for another account and we have processed their data through our systems and get a "failed" result of either it's not their SSN or it doesn't exist. Is there any guide or SSN resource that anyone is aware of that will help us identify these documents? Some reference that they were issued by the Dept. of Health and Human Services (?) or the OMB form number no where near matches the time when a guess might be for the card to be issued. Obviously the many misspellings are a big clue, but what other idicators are out there that we can compare to? We won't allow a SSN card to be a primary ID and I am not even comfortable in allowing them to be a secondary ID either because of the ease with which they can be fraudulently created. Any suggestions that we are not seeing on the SSN's site would be a great help.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1109500 - 01/12/09 09:41 PM Re: Verify SSN Cards??? Rangers Fan
lindale01 Offline
New Poster
As far as better verifying a SSN, you can register with the IRS and gain access to their TIN Matching service. We have found it very helpful in better identifying SSN. In the past, I have contacted the Social Security office about questionable cards...they weren't very helpful and would just direct me to the TIN Match site.

I know on our system, descrepancies came up if the person was just issued a SSN.

Return to Top
#1109519 - 01/12/09 09:48 PM Re: Verify SSN Cards??? lindale01
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"As far as better verifying a SSN, you can register with the IRS and gain access to their TIN Matching service."

You can only use that on customer that are obtaining an account on which you will be doing information reporting. So if you are just opening a DDA account, it will not be of any help.

A SSN card is never a form of identification. The SSN itself may be a form of non-documentary identification if it can be validated.

Return to Top
#1109532 - 01/12/09 09:53 PM Re: Verify SSN Cards??? rlcarey
old & slow Offline
New Poster
A social security card cannot be used for verification. I suggest E-Funds, they will run the ID, SSN and OFAC for you at opening. You will need to contract them for this.

Return to Top
#1109581 - 01/12/09 10:44 PM Re: Verify SSN Cards??? old & slow
Rangers Fan Offline
Gold Star
Rangers Fan
We don't use the SSN as verification, just as a second form of ID. We just happen to have more and more failed hits on the software that we use that matches the SSN to the owner, tells when issued, etc. We understood correctly that the TIN matching service would not apply if this were a non-interest bearing account, but hey, since this is a savings account, we could run this one through. Does the system just say whether the # is valid, or does it actually come back and tell me who it belongs to as well?

Return to Top
#1110385 - 01/14/09 12:24 AM Re: Verify SSN Cards??? Rangers Fan
DebL Offline
Gold Star
CA
The system will tell you if it's a "match", or not. It will tell if the number is invalid (not issued, deceased). It won't tell you the name of the person it belongs to if it doesn't match what you entered.

It really is useful. We regularly do a bulk match of our new customers with interest bearing accounts so that we head off any problems later.

Return to Top
#1111605 - 01/15/09 04:28 PM Re: Verify SSN Cards??? DebL
BSAguy Offline
Gold Star
Kansas
We are in the process of switching from Transunion's Total ID to TruAlert through Kroll Factual Data. We have found that SSN's that we knew were not valid for the person in question were often not being flagged by Total ID at all. When we run the same person/SSN combo through TruAlert, it not only has identified the inaccurate SSN, but it also shows the name and address that has been previously linked to that SSN.

Return to Top
#1113185 - 01/19/09 12:30 PM Re: Verify SSN Cards??? BSAguy
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The "payers" service from the IRS can be located by searching using the term "E Services." It is described as:

Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) Matching
TIN Matching is a pre-filing service offered to payers and/or authorized agents who submit any of six information returns subject to backup withholding (Forms 1099-B, INT, DIV, OID, PATR, and MISC). With Interactive TIN Matching authorized payers can match up to 25 payee TIN and name combinations against IRS records prior to submitting an information return. Bulk TIN Matching allows payers and/or authorized agents filing any of the six information returns to match up to 100,000 TIN and name combinations. In order to participate in TIN Matching, payers must be listed in the IRS Payer Account File (PAF) database. If your firm has not filed information returns with the IRS in one of the past two tax years, the application will not be available to you at this time.

Any commercial service that offers to "verify" name/TIN combinations is probably better than nothing. In my opinion, the IRS Service is probably better than all of them put together.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z