Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1111861 - 01/15/09 07:24 PM Rep Payee
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We have a Representative Payee account titled John Doe by Jane Doe Rep Payee. The Rep Payee wants to teach the beneficiary about handling money. THey want to add him on as a signer. I opinion is that we cannot do this because of how the checks are titled. Only the rep payee has access to teh funds. Is my thinking correct? Is there anything we can do so the beneficiary could sign.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1111924 - 01/15/09 08:39 PM Re: Rep Payee ahkcompliance
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Absolutely not. You are correct in that only the rep payee should have access to the account. If you wanted to take the risk you could allow the individual to open another account, perhaps joint with current rep payee. The rep payee would need to understand that you would be looking to them for any shortfall in the account as a joint owner.

This may not be an option if the individual has been declared legally incompetent or if the individual is a minor and your policy does not support such an account.

Return to Top
#1113130 - 01/17/09 04:53 PM Re: Rep Payee ahkcompliance
nbk2yj2 Offline
Platinum Poster
Paradise!
As Brenda says, absolutely not! The beneficiary should never have signing authority.

Return to Top
#1113616 - 01/20/09 06:27 PM Re: Rep Payee ahkcompliance
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
From the "Guide for Representative Payees" on the SSA web site:

To protect the beneficiary’s funds, the checking or savings accounts title must reflect the beneficiary’s ownership of the funds and your relationship as a fiduciary (financial agent). Neither the representative payee nor any other third party can have ownership interest in the account. The beneficiary must never have direct access to the account. (Emphasis supplied)

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett