Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1115387 - 01/22/09 08:06 PM Questionable Mailing recd by Customer
deh Offline
Platinum Poster
One of our loan customers brought in a mailing that he received at his residence. The notice has our name on it as the mortgage lender. As well as the mortgage amount of our customer's loan. It is in regards to a Mortgage Cancellation Program which will complete their mortgage payments in the event of a death or if they become diabled due to an illness or injury. It is requesting their name as well as their spouse, date of birth, and a phone number to call. The company is located in OK.

Anyone ever hear of a marketing ploy like this? Could this be a scam? How do they get this information?

Thanks for any input.

Return to Top
#1115434 - 01/22/09 08:33 PM Re: Questionable Mailing recd by Customer deh
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
The fact that you hold a mortgage is public record. I've see similar mailings and several states now have laws precluding anybody from making solicitations that appear to be from the lender.

Probably not a scam, but probably very expensive insurance.

Al

Return to Top
#1115529 - 01/22/09 09:08 PM Re: Questionable Mailing recd by Customer Al Miller
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Generally on the bottom of these in fine print it states 'this information obtained through public records; or something along those lines.

Return to Top
#1115555 - 01/22/09 09:25 PM Re: Questionable Mailing recd by Customer Skittles
deh Offline
Platinum Poster
Your are right. I flipped it over and it states it was obtained from public records. Thanks.

Return to Top
#1115664 - 01/22/09 10:45 PM Re: Questionable Mailing recd by Customer deh
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I probably got 50 different mailings about everything from refinancing for cash out to insurance the last time I refinanced my home. Some of them definitely qualified as "deceptive and misleading" in my opinion as they really appeared to come from the lender. Very annoying.

Return to Top