Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1117723 - 01/27/09 09:57 PM pitfalls to loan exceptions
Trees Offline
Power Poster
if someone were to ask you why its not a good thing to have loan programs/policies and then make exceptions to those polices your answer would be.....?

I feel that a bank would be open to possible discrimination, probably unintentional.

Anyone have any other arguments against making exceptions, or have comments about this topic, please feel free.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1117763 - 01/28/09 01:16 AM Re: pitfalls to loan exceptions Trees
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Policy are designed to ensure that the bank operates in a safe and sound manner. The board approves the policies and a high amount of exceptions without following the documentation standards for acceptable compensating factors (that should also be included by the Board) indicate disregard for the board approved policies.

Return to Top
#1117811 - 01/28/09 06:22 AM Re: pitfalls to loan exceptions rlcarey
Dazed and Confused Offline
Gold Star
Dazed and Confused
Big XII South
A high level of exceptions could possibly indicate that the policy is too restrictive (i.e. committee approval required for small-dollar loans, etc.). But generally speaking ... I agree wtih RLC.

Return to Top
#1118015 - 01/28/09 04:25 PM Re: pitfalls to loan exceptions Dazed and Confused
Mint Julep Offline
Diamond Poster
Mint Julep
Tennessee
Examiners will criticize an excessive number of exceptions to loan policy. They will also criticize if you are not tracking those exceptions.

Return to Top
#1118088 - 01/28/09 05:10 PM Re: pitfalls to loan exceptions Mint Julep
Trees Offline
Power Poster
We are tracking them and, so far, there aren't too many...

Return to Top