Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1117653 - 01/27/09 06:22 PM Customer notice to turn off check imaging
Analauditor Offline
We have been sending check images in our deposit statements for years. Now, we are entertaining the idea of truncating the check images. Can we do this? If so, do we have to provide notice and, if so, how far in advance? Any particular regs that need to be considered?

Thanks much!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1117686 - 01/27/09 08:07 PM Re: Customer notice to turn off check imaging Analauditor
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I would provide at least 30 days advance notice. This will serve as the "warning" to those individuals that rely on the images for their recordkeeping (as opposed to maintaining a check register as they should). State statutes I have seen do not require check images be provided, only a periodic list of the items that cleared the account by date, check number and amount. You will want to check your state's statutes before making a final decision.

Return to Top
#1117855 - 01/28/09 02:00 PM Re: Customer notice to turn off check imaging BrendaC
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Your customers may take to this change a little more easily if your online banking service provides links to check images. But I second everything that Brenda has suggested.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#1118218 - 01/28/09 06:42 PM Re: Customer notice to turn off check imaging John Burnett
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Ditto above. For those without internet access, you might also consider making it free to have images printed at the branch. I know our seniors would be furious if we stopped giving them images. They were angry enough when we stopped mailing the canceled checks.

Return to Top
#1118415 - 01/28/09 08:21 PM Re: Customer notice to turn off check imaging Milby
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Massachusetts banks have to either return paid checks or provide up to 25 front and back copies per year, gratis. That was the "give-up" in order to get the law here changed to allow statement truncation.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett