Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1119572 - 01/29/09 10:31 PM Wording on Overdraft Program Information Notice
Libby M. Offline
Platinum Poster
Mississippi, USA
I am concerned about a sentence found on our bank's information notice given to customer's at account opeing for our "Courtesy Pay" (overdraft program). The sentence reads, "If you receive a direct deposit for social security or other federal benefit, you must opt-out if you do not want us to apply these funds to repay an overdraft."
If the customer opts-out of the program, would the bank be prohibited from applying their direct deposit of a federal banefit to repay their overdraft?

Return to Top
Audit
#1119589 - 01/29/09 10:41 PM Re: Wording on Overdraft Program Information Notice Libby M.
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Sounds like it to me.

Return to Top
#1119627 - 01/29/09 11:08 PM Re: Wording on Overdraft Program Information Notice Libby M.
Libby M. Offline
Platinum Poster
Mississippi, USA
Is there any law that prohibits the bank from applying a direct deposit of federal benefits to repay an overdraft?

Return to Top
#1119663 - 01/29/09 11:50 PM Re: Wording on Overdraft Program Information Notice Libby M.
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1119692 - 01/30/09 01:33 AM Re: Wording on Overdraft Program Information Notic Andy_Z
homestar Offline
Diamond Poster
US of A
As Andy says, it's created some controversy and confusion, but primarily only in California due to decisions by the 9th Circuit. That's not to say it couldn't create the same confusion in other jurisdictions. If you're worried about it, I suggest you seek advice from outside counsel with experience in these matters.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z