Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#11196 - 10/31/00 01:42 PM Safe Deposit Box Question
Amy Muhleisen Offline
New Poster
Hornell, NY
Does any regulation state that an outside notary need be present when it is necessary for the bank to open a Safe Deposit Box to retreive the contents?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#11197 - 10/31/00 06:18 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Question
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
None that I am aware of. I have never heard that a Notary's duties went that far. Regardless, I would believe this to be a State issue meaning you could get many different answers.

The only requirement I know of here in Texas, and it may be more our policy than law, is dual control on a drilled box and the subsequent inventory.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#11198 - 11/01/00 04:32 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Question
William J. Ludwig Offline
100 Club
William J. Ludwig
New York, New York USA
Amy, Andy is right on the State law issue. Since you are in New York Article VIII-A, Section 335 (Safe Deposit Business) of the New York Banking law applies. Yes, it requires that a notary along with an officer/or employee designated by the bank be present when a box is broken open. The certificate listing the contents (if any) must be notarized. There is no requirement to use an outside notary. Whether to use an outside notary or a bank notary differs among New York State Safe Deposit Association member banks here in New York City. Some use an outside notary, some use a vault attendant who is also a notary, and others use a bank notary that is not associated with the vault when doing break opens.

Here's the link to the NY State law if you don't already have it: http://assembly.state.ny.us/cgi-bin/claws?law=9&art=22

------------------
Opinions expressed are mine and not those of my employer.

Return to Top
#11199 - 11/02/00 05:07 AM Re: Safe Deposit Box Question
Amy Muhleisen Offline
New Poster
Hornell, NY
Thanks so much for the information. It was very helpful.

Return to Top
#11200 - 11/01/00 11:15 PM Re: Safe Deposit Box Question
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
The Notary is part of the inventory authentication. Now I understand that they are there to sign the inventory document in their official capacity and to do so must assist in the process. (The light bulb goes on!)

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top