BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1121605 - 02/03/09 01:20 PM R & T #
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
We acquired a bank almost 5 years ago and still have people using checks from that bank. We want to have them stop and start using our checks.

My question is do we have a time limit on how long checks can continue to clear on the old R&T. If there is a time limit, how can I find out when it would stop? Secondly, if not, any suggestions on how to stop them?

We are thinking of sending a letter with a small order of checks with our Name & R&T, but would like to say, something about we can no longer use the old R&T after a certain date.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1121712 - 02/03/09 03:28 PM Re: R & T # DD Regs
Milby Offline
Platinum Poster
Tejas
Send a full order of checks if it is really that important to the bank to have only one ABA # used. For most vendor, it only costs an extra dollar or two for a full order vs. a half order.

As far as I know, as long as you keep paying the fees for additional numbers, there is no time limit. Multi-state banks often have multiple numbers so their customers in region 1 don't have checks drawn on a region 2 ABA.

FWIW, I have two other numbers that roll into our own... it doesn't present any issues with posting or balancing. If you are having problems, you might consider getting with your core provider to have it resolved.

Return to Top
#1121798 - 02/03/09 04:59 PM Re: R & T # Milby
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
according to Federal Reserve Bank merger guidelines, the "old" RT# should be retired 1-year after the merger. Generally, the surviving bank sends new checks to all customers at the old bank instructing them to destroy old checks and begin ising the new. Fed does not enforce the 1-year guideline.

Return to Top
#1121817 - 02/03/09 05:18 PM Re: R & T # HappyGilmore
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Thanks to both of you.

I think it is time to cut these users of old checks off (less than 50). We will be sending a letter with a cut off date, and a full box of new checks.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett