Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#112871 - 09/08/03 02:46 PM Lo-carb diets
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
OK, I'll bite and take MB's suggestion from the "antacids" thread. How about your experience on lo-carb dieting? Long-term are you keeping the weight off? Any fast-food lo-carb secrets? Indigestion a thing of the past?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#112872 - 09/08/03 03:07 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd be interested in any diet that someone has found successful in the long run. Let me know. Thanks.

Return to Top
#112873 - 09/08/03 04:02 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
Red Offline
Gold Star
Red
New England
Try the Zone. I haven't had incredible success (because I am very noncommittal) but it gives me a little more latitude than Atkins. I tried the Zone based on a dr's recommendation, it is a healthful way of living for people who have histories of high blood pressure and diabetes in their families. It really isn't a weight loss plan, more of a lifestyle. Per the book, you may lose 1 1/2 pounds a week. Halle Berry (I hope I have her name right, from Monsters Ball?) lives on the zone, she's real thin.

I did very well for two weeks. I felt great. Then, I went on vacation and fell off the wagon very hard. But, I enjoyed myself....

In addition, fast food recommendations....the Zone book I have recommends getting a chicken breast (grilled) sandwich and a garden salad. Toss half the roll away, throw the chicken and bits on roll (like croutons) in the salad. Not very fast, if you ask me. Also, it recommends Chicken Tacos from Taco Bell. Not sure why.

Good Luck.

Return to Top
#112874 - 09/08/03 04:23 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
Diamond Poster
TX
As for lo-carb fast food - - McDonalds has an Atkins friendly grilled chicken caesar salad that's only $4. Wendy's southwestern grilled chicken salad is mighty good, too. I like string cheese or cheese cubes for a good Atkins snack to keep at my desk.

Return to Top
#112875 - 09/08/03 04:24 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
I've done pretty good on Weight Watchers. I lost 40 lbs over a 10 month span, and have kept it off for more than a year now. Once you get the "point" thing down its rather easy to follow. I like the fact that you eat whatever you want, the trick is in the portions and point-count. I found myself really thinking about what I eat and, actually for the first time, deciding if I really like it or just eat it because it is routine. I only eat what I really like now (I decide if it is "point-worthy" a la Seinfeld) and have been trying different foods I never would have even thought about before because I was so routine driven. I think the trick to any "diet" is if you can make it a way of life instead of a "quick fix" and then back to the old way.

Return to Top
#112876 - 09/08/03 05:38 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
Jayda's Mom Offline
100 Club
North
I tried the "Body for Life" diet which was the easiest diet to follow. Six meals a day with a serving of protein and a serving of carbs and veggies at least twice a day. The kicker was that you got one free day a week where you could eat anything you wanted, as much as you wanted. Pizza, McDonalds, chocolate, anything.

The diet doesn't work as fast as Atkins or the Zone but after 3 months I lost 30 lbs and have still kept the weight off.

Return to Top
#112877 - 09/08/03 05:54 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
Low carb is the only way to go - especially if you eat a lot of pasta, potatoes, potato chips, candy, junk food, etc. I went on the Atkins low-carb diet a few months ago and lost 15 lbs in approx. 3 months. If you resist the urge to eat sugar and carbs it is a good diet - I never felt hungry at all. You just have to watch the carbs in the fruits and veggies but can eat all the protein and a lot more fat than in other diets. And I love meat and salads so the Atkins plan was easy for me. No cereal for breakfast (sugar and carbs) but you can have eggs, bacon, sausage, etc.

However this is more a lifestyle change rather than a diet. When you go back to eating carbs the weight and cholesterol go right back up. After the weight loss starts, you can add back carbs but in limited amounts.

Return to Top
#112878 - 09/08/03 06:44 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I started out on the Atkins diet and now I don’t consider it a diet. It’s a pretty easy way to eat. Plenty of protien and little carbs. It wasn’t hard giving up soda and most sweets. The biggest carb food I eat regularly is fruit.

As far as fast food. Eat all the hamburgers you want (just throw away the bun). No breaded chicken either.

R Russell has a good point. One day a week to cheat. For some (like me) it’s hard to completely give up eating bad foods. So, Sunday I eat what I want, hot ham and rolls, chips, ice cream from the local stand. I admit, I do cheat a bit if going out on Friday or Saturday for dinner.

Then Monday through Saturday, it’s back to protien. Protien shakes after workouts is also a plus.

I keep nuts, cheese and beef jerky in my office at work for a snack (and sometimes grapes).

This works for me. I think it works great with a regular exercise routine.

Return to Top
#112879 - 09/08/03 07:37 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
I've been doing Adkins for 6 months and it's been great. Very easy once you get past the initial withdrawals from sugar and caffeine. I will be interested to see what my blood test looks like when I get it checked later this month. I do admit I slide every once in a while and have to have my chocolate.

Return to Top
#112880 - 09/08/03 07:39 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
baseballfan Offline
100 Club
baseballfan
Midwest
I also am on a form of low carb dieting. I have been on it since February and have lost around 30 lbs. I also like cheese for snacks and take one day off a week to help me stay on it. For lunch, I eat hamburgers or sandwiches, just get rid of the bread, or salads. I don't feel hungry either.

Return to Top
#112881 - 09/08/03 08:03 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
I forgot to mention, In-N-Out has a protein burger. Fabulous!

Return to Top
#112882 - 09/08/03 09:14 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
It really does work. Every time I dedicate myself I loose 5 pounds in week. My problem is that I don't like fish, eggs or cheese. That narrows the variety down a great deal.

Return to Top
#112883 - 09/08/03 09:45 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
I just started the South Beach diet last week. This is also low carb but does allow vegetables (limited) within the first two weeks. South Beach differs somewhat from Atkins in that they promote lean proteins. Limited fats. I liked that approach better than the Atkins way. Tomorrow will end my first week of the diet and so far I am down 4 lbs. I did have one slice of bread over the weekend (shame-shame) but passed on potatoes. Hoping to make this a life style change for the good. I bought the Zone book and thought that was way to scientific for me. South Beach is very easy.

Return to Top
#112884 - 09/08/03 09:54 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
Uncle_Milty Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
I am down 42 lbs so far this year on a low carb diet, and am still slowly taking off weight. Phasing in carbs like Atkins recommends didn't work for me, so I for the most part live on the induction (strict) diet. I immediately began feeling better, gaining energy and losing indigestion, nagging aches and pains, etc.

I find that if the weight loss stops it is helpful to go off the diet for a weekend - indulge all the cravings and put on a few pounds - and then go back on and within a few days the few pounds plus a few more are gone. As a meat lover I find it pretty easy to eat steaks, chops, ribs and chicken for dinner, and egg salad or tuna fish for lunch with a small salad or few pieces of cheese. I never did eat breakfast much, but on the weekends some eggs, bacon and sausage hits the spot. For a treat, all summer I have been downing snow cones like crazy - shaved ice with some Atkins syrup - 0 carbs, 0 sugars, 0 calories and as an added benefit I get the water all of the diets recommend.

I swear by the diet and intend at this point to make it a lifestyle, in order to keep the weight off. The hardest part is fast food, but the above choices do work. However, the diet is expensive to maintain - good meats are expensive, and all the Atkins products and other low carb diet foods also cost an arm and a leg.

Return to Top
#112885 - 09/09/03 04:49 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
I have been at 170lbs (5'11") for the last 12 years - How? Never skip breakfast, lunch of salads and white meat, dinner at 6pm of baked fish, white meat and vegitables - No soda, 8 bottles of water a day, walk 3 miles 3 times a week, no snacking in between meals and above all - moderation - stomach = two part food, 1 part water and 1 part empty. Or, have a glass of water and a banana 20 minutes before dinner time - there you go, free diet plan.

PS. On this plan you will never need an Antacid!!

Return to Top
#112886 - 09/09/03 05:12 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
I have no doubt that Atkins works for some people, but I worry about the side effects, even in the short term.

I guess that most people are not aware that the brain cannot operate without a carbohydrate derivative, and if it doesn't get it it goes looking for protein. The body cannot store more than a few hours worth of carbohydrates, or any protein, and so the only alternative when the carbs run out is to break down proteins in the body. This means that there is a strong liklihood that any weight loss on the Atkins diet will include the loss of some muscle, which is that last thing that you should be losing as muscles burn calories.

I would not vote for the Atkins diet. I try to stick to moderation, avoid snacks between meals, and it mostly seems to serve me well.

Return to Top
#112887 - 09/09/03 05:35 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
Diamond Poster
TX
It's a lo-carb, not a no-carb diet. Atkins still provides for some carbs (20-40 grams per day) even in the induction phase. The principle is to get the body attuned to burning fat. 20-40 grams of carbs daily should be plenty to maintain good health under the program.

Return to Top
#112888 - 09/09/03 05:47 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
LCM Offline
LCM
I have never tried a low-carb diet so I can't really comment on them. However, I can attest to an exercise program making all the difference in my weight-loss adventure. I have found that if I watch what I eat and exercise regularly, I can easily lose weight. The kicker is, when I do splurge and eat whatever I want, I don't gain weight! (As long as the splurges don't last for more that a week and I begin exercising again)

Return to Top
#112889 - 09/09/03 06:20 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Quote:

I've been doing Adkins for 6 months and it's been great.

I thought that you could only stay on Adkins for 2 to 3 weeks at one time. Did you get off and then go back on?

Return to Top
#112890 - 09/09/03 06:26 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
The Induction phase is for two weeks. That's when you limit your carbs to the minimum. Then you are supposed to start introducing more carbs into your diet. But it's really a matter each individual body and how you react. The theory is that once you have lost the weight you want to, you go to maintenance and find that happy place for you and how many carbs you can take in on a daily basis.

(I think that's right, anyone else?)

Return to Top
#112891 - 09/09/03 10:53 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

I thought that you could only stay on Adkins for 2 to 3 weeks at one time. Did you get off and then go back on?

Guy goes to the doctor. Doctor say to eat everything he wants for two days and to skip a day, eat for two days and skip a day... until his next appointment. Says he should lose 10 lbs.

Guy comes back and lost 20 lbs. "Amazing" says the doctor. "I though skipping that third day was going to kill me though" he exclaimed. The doctor said "Fasting shouldn't be that tough".

"Fasting, I was skipping everywhere I went".
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#112892 - 09/09/03 11:44 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
Tina A Sweet Offline
Diamond Poster
Tina A Sweet
Marysville, Ca.
Quote:

I do admit I slide every once in a while and have to have my chocolate.

I am on the Adkins diet and have been for 4 months. I have lost a total of 35LBS and expect to lose 40 more. I feel great and guess what I GET CHOCOLATE, ADKINS CHOCOLATE. Its great you don't even have to miss eating chocolate anymore. Try it, I think you will be in heaven. I have the bar almost every night. 2carbs that’s it!

Return to Top
#112893 - 09/10/03 12:02 AM Re: Lo-carb diets
Jayda's Mom Offline
100 Club
North
Yes, the chocolate bars are good. In fact, I'm eating one right now! The shakes aren't too bad either but the icecream is definitely NOT one of my favorite things.

I tried the Atkins diet for two months and did not have results that good. I only lost 12 pounds, and 8 of those was in the first two weeks.

I found that limiting carbs and moderate exercise was the best program for myself.

Return to Top
#112894 - 09/10/03 12:16 AM Re: Lo-carb diets
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Has anyone tried this:
Carbs for breakfast
1 Fruit for snack
Veggies for lunch
1 Fruit for snack
Protein for dinner

There was a theory behind this, but I cannot remember in which diet advice book I read that.

Return to Top
#112895 - 09/10/03 12:51 PM Re: Lo-carb diets
Anonymous
Unregistered

Please use sound judgement when considering a diet or weight loss program.

The American Heart Association in the journal Circulation [St. Jeor et al. 104 (15): 1869] warned against popular high-protein diets:

Abstract— High-protein diets have recently been proposed as a "new" strategy for successful weight loss. However, variations of these diets have been popular since the 1960s. High-protein diets typically offer wide latitude in protein food choices, are restrictive in other food choices (mainly carbohydrates), and provide structured eating plans. They also often promote misconceptions about carbohydrates, insulin resistance, ketosis, and fat burning as mechanisms of action for weight loss. Although these diets may not be harmful for most healthy people for a short period of time, there are no long-term scientific studies to support their overall efficacy and safety. These diets are generally associated with higher intakes of total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol because the protein is provided mainly by animal sources. In high-protein diets, weight loss is initially high due to fluid loss related to reduced carbohydrate intake, overall caloric restriction, and ketosis-induced appetite suppression. Beneficial effects on blood lipids and insulin resistance are due to the weight loss, not to the change in caloric composition. Promoters of high-protein diets promise successful results by encouraging high-protein food choices that are usually restricted in other diets, thus providing initial palatability, an attractive alternative to other weight-reduction diets that have not worked for a variety of reasons for most individuals. High-protein diets are not recommended because they restrict healthful foods that provide essential nutrients and do not provide the variety of foods needed to adequately meet nutritional needs. Individuals who follow these diets are therefore at risk for compromised vitamin and mineral intake, as well as potential cardiac, renal, bone, and liver abnormalities overall.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2