Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#113498 - 09/09/03 09:43 PM Disaster Recovery
abloom Offline
New Poster
abloom
Iowa
Anyone responsible for testing your Disaster Recovery Plan? Did you use a "round table" technique or "simulation"? Any advise?

Return to Top
Audit
#113499 - 09/09/03 10:24 PM Re: Disaster Recovery
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Our IT folks actually do a simulation and go to the back up site to run work. We never ran a simulation of a branch going down but through experience, have re-routed customer traffic as needed due to flooding and power outages, as examples. Real world testing I suppose.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#113500 - 09/10/03 12:05 AM Re: Disaster Recovery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Roundtable (or "tabletop exercises") are a great way to walk-through the business continuity processes with departmental teams to assess readiness to continue business operations during a disruption. I recommend setting your objectives beforehand and structure a scenario-based exercise (with measurable results) to test. Exercises are a great way to identify problems within the plan, changes that had not been captured and increase internal awareness. You may want to start with simple tests (like responding to a power outage) and increase the complexity over time.

Return to Top
#113501 - 09/10/03 01:23 AM Re: Disaster Recovery
Anonymous
Unregistered

We test in a variety of ways throughout the year. We test the back-up site to ensure data can be restored, we test the off-site item processing facility, we do desktop simulations for the bank as a whole, etc. Each department is responsible for developing procedures and testing them annually. The DR committee reviews/approves the plans and tests. Any actual incidents, such as temporary loss of the core system, are documented and reviewed for lessons learned. Be thorough! Report results to the BOD.

Return to Top
#113502 - 09/10/03 02:32 AM Re: Disaster Recovery
Risk Officer Offline
100 Club
Dallas
Quote:

Any actual incidents, such as temporary loss of the core system, are documented and reviewed for lessons learned.

Most bank's don't think to document actual incidents. Be sure and write up the incident, do a debriefing with affected personnel, and update the plan if necessary. Send the report to the Tech Committee or Board as appropriate.

Return to Top
#113503 - 09/10/03 03:52 PM Re: Disaster Recovery
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Quote:

Most bank's don't think to document actual incidents. Be sure and write up the incident, do a debriefing with affected personnel, and update the plan if necessary. Send the report to the Tech Committee or Board as appropriate.

This is true. Over the past year we had two "real life" occassions to test our business continuity plan. We documented the events as they occurred and then met to determine what we could do to improve upon our existing plan. Basically a complete self evaluation.

Our Data Processing manager travels to our Recovery Site once a year and performs recovery operations. We are sent a letter certifying that we conducted the test and the results of the test.

Other than these, by default, the Audit department conducts periodic testing of our contingency plan. It is not feasible to be able to enact all scenarios that we address in our plan, but one of the basic tests is to have your tellers run parallel "offline" procedures. We insist that they complete the customer's transaction first and let the customer leave, then they must complete the transaction as if we were in a "Power Failure" scenario. We test each branch for two to three hour periods, collect the documentation, analyize the results, and prepare a report on the findings.

Return to Top
#113504 - 09/10/03 04:53 PM Re: Disaster Recovery
Risk Officer Offline
100 Club
Dallas
Another thing, when we do our disaster recovery test of our computer systems, we have started having various people (not the CIO, DP Manager, or network admin, but lesser experienced personnel) perform the test. This provides a better evaluation of the actual step-by-step procedures.

New this Fall...our Internal Auditor will select a date and scenario (i.e. this building destroyed, these personnel unavailable, etc.) and implement the disaster recovery test on a surprise basis.

Return to Top
#113505 - 09/21/03 02:53 AM Re: Disaster Recovery
Ken Proctor Offline
New Poster
A simulatoin is a great way to "exercise" a plan. I have done it in the following way. I assembled the Emergency Management team, just as they would be in a real emergency. I provided them with information about the "emergency situation" and asked them first to provide information about the status of the Bank's operations at that moment...where were they in the processing day....did they have information about key upcoming deadlines, etc. I tracked their responses and continued to provide them additional informmation, just as it would come in from the Assessment Team during a real emergency. You can let them use a "lifeline" if you want...call out to various managers to get information. The exercise lasted about 4 hours and then we debriefed orally, followed by a written debrief. Along with restoring operations at a hotsite, testing data communications, conducting life safety drills and evacuation drills and testing the calling tree, simulations provide both a means of determining if a Business Continuity Plan will work and identifying potential problems with the plan, as well as providing valuable training.

Return to Top
#113506 - 10/14/03 07:30 PM Re: Disaster Recovery
Anonymous
Unregistered

Are there any good software tools out there to help
automate this Dastardly Disaster Recovery Planning process ??

Return to Top
#113507 - 10/17/03 11:53 PM Re: Disaster Recovery
Jeff Olejnik Offline
New Poster
Jeff Olejnik
There are some decent software tools out there the help create and maintain the disaster recovery plan (and a number of not so good ones). Regarding the process of developing the plan, the FFIEC lays out an excellent process for: 1) Business Impact Assessment, 2) Risk Assessment; 3) Risk Management and 4) Risk Monitoring. There are a number software tool vendors listed on the Disaster Recovery Journal website (www.drj.com). I have evaluated a number of them. If you would like to get some "off-line" feedback, please feel free to contact me.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z