Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1135062 - 02/24/09 07:20 PM JWNDAA - Purchase automobile
Jan94 Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
My understanding is that a loan to purchase an automobile secured by the automobile would not be a covered loan under JWNDAA. A question has come up about when this loan is renewed or refinanced would it still be exempt under the Act? I've been told a renewal is but a refinance is not. I thought I had read something (not finding it) that renewals or refinances would not be covered but I may be misunderstanding. Thank you for your help in clarifying.

P.S. I found where I had read a refinance would not be covered. This was from a previous BOL seminar Q&A. Would anyone disagree with this response? I'm being told that a refinance is no longer a "purchase" so it would be covered if secured by the vehicle.

Question 19. So, the refinance of a purchase-money vehicle loan would be
covered, correct?

Answer: No. See the exclusions on page 38 of the program materials. Loans to
purchase a motor vehicle or personal property, if secured by the motor vehicle or
personal property, are excluded from coverage.
Last edited by Gem19; 02/24/09 10:33 PM.
Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#1135868 - 02/25/09 06:59 PM Re: JWNDAA - Purchase automobile Jan94
Jan94 Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
Just checking back - anyone? I checked with another compliance resource and they are telling me a refinance would be covered so there seems to be a conflict. I told the bank it was not so I just need to be sure I've got the right information. Thank you!

Return to Top
#1137991 - 02/28/09 01:43 AM Re: JWNDAA - Purchase automobile Jan94
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I haven't looked this up, but I was thinking that it had to be a covered loan that is renewed, to be a covered loan.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1138658 - 03/03/09 01:06 AM Re: JWNDAA - Purchase automobile Andy_Z
Jan94 Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
I thought this is what I understood but was told that when the loan is refinanced, it is no longer a "purchase" so it would be considered covered.

Return to Top
#1138662 - 03/03/09 01:29 AM Re: JWNDAA - Purchase automobile Jan94
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Have you looked it up in the law?
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z