Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1114407 - 01/21/09 06:48 PM Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot
Jenn-Lynn Offline
Oklahoma
There was an article out in my local news area that said that a local Bank president was letting everyone know that he had guns in his office and that he was prepared to use them if a robber ever came in to his bank. He has his concealed carry permit. But come on. Does this freak anyone else out? The comments left on the news website did nothing but say how fantastic this was. One lady even said that she worked at a bank and she would feel safer if she worked there.

Am I crazy for feeling this is not appropriate? We're not in the Wild West anymore. Right?

Return to Top
Security - PUBLIC
#1115001 - 01/22/09 04:00 PM Re: Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot Jenn-Lynn
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I don't think that you are the one who's crazy.

The Board should handle this immediately. The legal ramifications should anyone be hurt in his ultimate "shoot out" are through the roof.

Return to Top
#1115008 - 01/22/09 04:03 PM Re: Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot BrendaC
smash Offline
Gold Star
Texas
Can you link us to the website story? That is a perfect training example...of what not to do!!

Return to Top
#1115859 - 01/23/09 02:01 PM Re: Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot smash
RBanker Offline
Power Poster
RBanker
Austin Texas
Ummm - I'd be a little frightened of this guy...
1) it's almost like a dare - and there are idiots out there who would take up that dare.
2) What does he consider the appropriate time to use it? Customer is in the lobby yelling at a teller? Does he come out with his gun locked and loaded?
3) he has a bad day and someone yells at him, etc - does he pull his gun, in a fit of rage and start blasting???

Scary!

Return to Top
#1116322 - 01/23/09 07:47 PM Re: Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot RBanker
Hogfan5 Offline
100 Club
I assume that Oklahoma has something in the Concealed Handgun Act that would prohibit having a gun in the bank. In Arkansas it is in Section 419 in the Arkansas Concealed Handgun Act. It does not state a bank in specific but does say "(19) (A) Any place at the discretion of the person or entity exercising control over the physical location of the place by placing at each entrance to the place a written notice clearly readable at a distance of not less than ten (10) feet that “carrying a handgun is prohibited”. We have this posted on all of our front doors. Now, we did have a robbery and the robber evidently didn't read the sign. smile If the President wants to have a gun, the bad guys can have a gun. I read ours as all or none. This will not have a good ending.

Return to Top
#1116450 - 01/23/09 09:07 PM Re: Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot Hogfan5
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I don't think that Oklahoma prohibits it, actually. Of course, I may be wrong, but I looked for it and never found a prohibition related to firearms in a bank.

That said, I would like to know who/where this was. Jenn?

Return to Top
#1116667 - 01/23/09 11:27 PM Re: Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot Pup
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Here are the only restrictions of which I am aware. However, what ever happen to the lawsuit regarding guns at work in Oklahoma. I thought a judge ruled that guns at work violated some Worker Safety Law??? Wasn't that going to a higher court in November??

Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
Chapter 53 - Manufacture, Sale, and Wearing of Weapons
Section 1277 - Unlawful Carry in Certain Places

A. It shall be unlawful for any person in possession of a valid concealed handgun license issued pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act to carry any concealed handgun into any of the following places:

1. Any structure, building, or office space which is owned or leased by a city, town, county, state, or federal governmental authority for the purpose of conducting business with the public;

2. Any meeting of any city, town, county, state or federal officials, school board members, legislative members, or any other elected or appointed officials;

3. Any prison, jail, detention facility or any facility used to process, hold, or house arrested persons, prisoners or persons alleged delinquent or adjudicated delinquent;

4. Any elementary or secondary school, or technology center school property;

5. Any sports arena during a professional sporting event;

6. Any place where pari-mutuel wagering is authorized by law; and

7. Any other place specifically prohibited by law.

Return to Top
#1141498 - 03/06/09 05:05 PM Re: Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot rlcarey
Jenn-Lynn Offline
Oklahoma
Sorry guys, forgot about this post. I looked up the Oklahoma Conceal & Carry Laws and it doesn't prohibit this.

Here's the link. It was on Channel 6 here in Tulsa. If they're still out there, you should read the comments posted. I have the comments under the name Jennifer. I would say 99% of the commenters told me I was an idiot for thinking the way I do.

http://www.newson6.com/Global/story.asp?s=9704368

Return to Top
#1141538 - 03/06/09 05:28 PM Re: Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot Jenn-Lynn
smash Offline
Gold Star
Texas
here's the link to the comments Jenn-Lynn was referring to:

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/kotv/TQKIKJPCASE545M8N#comments

Return to Top
#1141838 - 03/06/09 08:22 PM Re: Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot smash
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
It seems to me that these well-meaning observers don't really understand the "real world" of bank robberies. These are not folks who are thinking logically and weighing out consequences of their actions while they are jumping the counter and putting a gun in the face of your teller. Many of these people are drugged out and trigger-happy when they enter the buildings. One wrong move and they will start shooting at everything. It is a prescription for disaster.

Return to Top
#1141964 - 03/06/09 10:03 PM Re: Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot BrendaC
Jenn-Lynn Offline
Oklahoma
I'm just glad to hear some voices of reason. Thank you! :o)

Return to Top
#1143473 - 03/11/09 04:05 PM Re: Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot Jenn-Lynn
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
I'm guessing that the majority of the posters are in their mid-twenties, and I'm also guessing that the vast majority are not professionals and definitely not in banking.

Putting an entire customer base at risk to protect your family and employees is selfish and dangerous. Now, will the story help to deter a robbery? Most likely. But if someone wants the challenge of it, the situation will escalate and be bad.

As a Security Officer and as an officer of the bank, the last thing I want to report to the board is a casualty or shots fired inside our walls. Reporting a loss that the FBI is investigating is preferable. And, we don't file insurance unless the take is GIGANTIC....not very often at all. We take the loss, so it is a decision that we've made based SOLELY on the safety of our employees.

That said, I want a tazer!!

Return to Top
#1143691 - 03/11/09 08:10 PM Re: Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot Pup
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Additionaly these posters have not been in a bank during a robbery. The first thing you want is the bad guys out of the bank as quickly as possible. An additional gun in the bank even if it is from on of the good guys will only make the situation worse.

I have been in the bank in more cases than I can remember and I can only hope that the Bank President is calling attention as part of Public Relations.

Hope none of you will have to be in that situation.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1143705 - 03/11/09 08:21 PM Re: Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot Pup
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
Originally Posted By: Fraud Pup

Putting an entire customer base at risk to protect your family and employees is selfish and dangerous. Now, will the story help to deter a robbery? Most likely. But if someone wants the challenge of it, the situation will escalate and be bad.

As a Security Officer and as an officer of the bank, the last thing I want to report to the board is a casualty or shots fired inside our walls. Reporting a loss that the FBI is investigating is preferable. And, we don't file insurance unless the take is GIGANTIC....not very often at all. We take the loss, so it is a decision that we've made based SOLELY on the safety of our employees.

That said, I want a tazer!!

My sentiments exactly, Fraud Pup. Taking this kind of risk for the small amount of loss is crazy. BTW - when I was first asked to be the new SO at my bank they specifically informed me that they did not budget for a taser for me frown (not sure if they were kidding or not!!)

Return to Top
#1143753 - 03/11/09 09:15 PM Re: Bank President - Has Gun, Will Shoot Mocha's Mom
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
We had a guy run from the cops in our lobby (forgery), and he was tazed at the door. It was cool. I want a tazer. smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z