Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1141911 - 03/06/09 09:13 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education Hrothgar Geiger
A_G Offline
10K Club
Isn't a university the same as a college?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1141913 - 03/06/09 09:14 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education A_G
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: AuditGuy

No.

Return to Top
#1141915 - 03/06/09 09:15 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education Hrothgar Geiger
A_G Offline
10K Club
Is university the posh way of saying it?

That's what the Brits call it.

Return to Top
#1141917 - 03/06/09 09:16 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education A_G
A_G Offline
10K Club
...and the omit the article.

Return to Top
#1141918 - 03/06/09 09:18 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education Hrothgar Geiger
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Hrothgar Gieger
Originally Posted By: straw
I think my degree states SUNY ALbany, College of Rockefeller ... something like that so it has both the university and college on it.

My diplomas have the names of the universities, not the colleges.

Well then you must be correct about Cornell smile

All I am saying is that there may be some truth to what she is saying. And I don't see how you can say that different admission standards are trivial. If one college is very prestigious and requires a 1400 SAT (on old 1600 scale) and a 3.75 GPA and another college requires an 800 SAT and a 2.0 GPA, you would consider that trivial and irrelevant.

Return to Top
#1141922 - 03/06/09 09:20 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education DD Regs
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Originally Posted By: DD-Man
I drove a 'Vette in college, Yeah a CheVette, not a Corvette, Both made by GM, so must be of equal value. Dang I let it go for to cheap a price.
Or, I was trained in knife-fighting.....in the Mortal Kombat "Practice Mode". wink

Return to Top
#1141924 - 03/06/09 09:21 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education straw
A_G Offline
10K Club
straw you are correct.

Trust me. I'm from NY.

Two SUNY schools especially come to mind - Cornell and Alfred.

Also Syracuse, which is not a SUNY school. There are actually colleges within the universites that are perceived (probably rightly so) as less prestiged. Yet, people who attend those NEVER seem to mention that.

"Oh, I attend Syracuse."

"I graduated from Cornell."

There is some validity to the claim. While not being dishonest, the whole truth is not revealed.

Return to Top
#1141925 - 03/06/09 09:22 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education A_G
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
uuhh last time I checked eek

Return to Top
#1141930 - 03/06/09 09:25 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education A_G
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland

Not to the Canucks.

Return to Top
#1141931 - 03/06/09 09:26 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education Blade Scrapper
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
found this on a Cornell blog

Posts: 286 FRESHMAN ADMISSIONS STATISTICS BY COLLEGE, Fall 2008

.............................Agriculture & LifeSciences...........Arts & Sciences
Applicants......................... 4,697................. ............15,474

Accepted........................... 1,028.................... ..........2,840

Attending.............................640......... ............ ..........1,068

% Accepted.........................21.9%............ .................18.35%

Yield................................... 62.2%..............................37.6%

The outsized yield of CALS suggests that at CALS, to a much greater extent than CAS, Cornell was the best college at which CALS admits were accepted. There will likely be a greater difference in SAT 25-75% and top 10% of HS class between CALS and CAS than reflected in the % admitted.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/corn...ing-cals-2.html

Interesting stuff, even the colleges vs university argument are discussed. Seems to be an issue between colleges at Cornell as to which ones are really Ivy and which ones aren't.

Return to Top
#1141958 - 03/06/09 09:50 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education straw
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
I think my degree states SUNY ALbany, College of Rockefeller ... something like that so it has both the university and college on it.

All I am saying is that there may be some truth to what she is saying. And I don't see how you can say that different admission standards are trivial. If one college is very prestigious and requires a 1400 SAT (on old 1600 scale) and a 3.75 GPA and another college requires an 800 SAT and a 2.0 GPA, you would consider that trivial and irrelevant.

I'm saying they are trivial for a couple of reasons;

first, application for admission to a university has two layers; the university's admission requirements and those of the specific college. This was the case at Penn when I went, and when my neighbor's children applied this year. And it's the case at Cornell (I looked it up.) The college's requirements can be greater than the university's, but they can't be less than the university's. Both Coulter and Olbermann met the Cornell University admission standards before applying to their respective schools.

second, I can pretty much guarantee that if you set up a hierarchy of the colleges' individual requirements, the engineering and architecture schools would have higher academic requirements than the college of arts and sciences. Would that mean that engineering graduates are more authentic Ivy Leaguers than the arts and sciences crowd?

third, we don't know the precise differences between the schools, so arguing extreme differences is pointless.

fourth, it's trivial because at the end of the day they both got degrees from Cornell University.

Also, I'll correct two other points from Ms. Coulter's article. Universities are Ivy League, not the individual schools within them. Second, at least 2 other Ivy League universities offer degree programs in 'Communications'; Columbia University and the University of Pennsylvania.

Return to Top
#1141960 - 03/06/09 09:55 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education A_G
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...

it is based on the number of accredited degree programs, colleges offer less than universities...i'm sure there are other reasons as well and eagerly await Barbie correcting each omission point by point, with a powerpoint and webex to follow

Return to Top
#1141967 - 03/06/09 10:05 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education HappyGilmore
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
And I still say - well I never did, but I am now - that on a SAT you will find:

1. Biology is to science as Communications is to:
Biology : science :: Communications
a. a fluff major in college
b. underwater basket weaving
c. all of the above
d. AG

Return to Top
#1141970 - 03/06/09 10:06 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education QCL
A_G Offline
10K Club
would 'all of the above' include choice d, seeing as d is under 'all of the above?' wink

Return to Top
#1141971 - 03/06/09 10:07 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education HappyGilmore
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Oh, for cryin' out loud. Let's stipulate that both Coulter and Olberman graduated from Cornell. They're both still obnoxious, pontificating morons.

Although Olberman takes it to (cue Keegan Michael Key) a whole, 'nutha, level.

Return to Top
#1141973 - 03/06/09 10:09 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education Sinatra Fan
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: Sinatra Fan
Oh, for cryin' out loud. Let's stipulate that both Coulter and Olberman graduated from Cornell. They're both still obnoxious, pontificating morons.

Smartest thing said in this thread thus far.

Return to Top
#1141974 - 03/06/09 10:10 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education #Just Jay
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Originally Posted By: Caged AG

the 2nd smartest thing said in this thread thus far smirk

Return to Top
#1141983 - 03/06/09 10:22 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education Hrothgar Geiger
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
[quote=straw]I think my degree states SUNY ALbany, College of Rockefeller ... something like that so it has both the university and college on it.

I'm saying they are trivial for a couple of reasons;

first, application for admission to a university has two layers; the university's admission requirements and those of the specific college. This was the case at Penn when I went, and when my neighbor's children applied this year. And it's the case at Cornell (I looked it up.) The college's requirements can be greater than the university's, but they can't be less than the university's. Both Coulter and Olbermann met the Cornell University admission standards before applying to their respective schools.
[/quote]

Not what your Cornell info says.
"Each of the fourteen colleges and schools listed below defines its own academic programs; admits its own students; provides a faculty, and advising and support for its students; and confers degrees on its own students, although all degrees are attributed to Cornell University.
"

Doesn't say University has minumum standard. And again, just because your University did it that way, as mine did, does not mean that Cornell does it that way.

Quote:
second, I can pretty much guarantee that if you set up a hierarchy of the colleges' individual requirements, the engineering and architecture schools would have higher academic requirements than the college of arts and sciences. Would that mean that engineering graduates are more authentic Ivy Leaguers than the arts and sciences crowd?

That is an arugment that Cornell alum themselves seem to have, if you take the time to read the blog I linked to.

Return to Top
#1141992 - 03/06/09 10:28 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education straw
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
re: 'admits its own students'
The reason I pointed out that I looked up the Cornell admissions process was in part due to that phrase. The undergraduate admissions process to Cornell requires an application for admission to the university *and* application for admission to a school. You cannot apply to a school and be accepted without also having applied and been accepted to the University.

As to the other argument, Penn alum have that argument, too. So what? It's not relevant to this discussion except that Ms. Coulter has decided to make it a public argument.

Return to Top
#1141996 - 03/06/09 10:31 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education Hrothgar Geiger
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Is there anything relevant? Just want to know if you consider anything relevant before I waste any more time with this.

Return to Top
#1141998 - 03/06/09 10:32 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education Miscuit
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: MissAuditGuy
Originally Posted By: Caged AG

the 2nd smartest thing said in this thread thus far smirk

I agree with this. Shall we vote. All those who think both are obnoxious, pontificating morons, say aye.

Return to Top
#1142004 - 03/06/09 10:37 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education straw
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Nay!

Olberman is a pontificating moron...Coulter is eye-candy!

Return to Top
#1142006 - 03/06/09 10:39 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education YosemiteSamIAm
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
out of order; only doing the ayes now. We may get to the nays.

Return to Top
#1142026 - 03/06/09 11:07 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education straw
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
I don't care if someone graduated from an Ivy League School or a Pony League baseball camp...I'd just like to see some outward evidence of the claimed intelligence the person is supposed to possess. Barack Obama graduated from an Ivy League Law School, but I am still waiting for the outward evidence of his supposed greater intelligence. I did not see it in his campaign; reading from a teleprompter and memorizing debate points are no substitutes for intelligence. Aso, thus far in his administration, the evidence is wanting.

You can attack this post, but I am serious. Show me the intelligence!

Return to Top
#1142036 - 03/06/09 11:21 PM Re: Keith Olberman's Ivy League Education The OG Zaibatsu
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Z, I tried in my scientific POTUS poll but it went POOF. laugh

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3