Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1144047 - 03/12/09 02:35 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? Lisa_Bates
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
yeah a people pile, I'll start it off first raise ur hand if you're the fatty that eats the last of something when @ a buffett??! Don't be shy smile

laugh

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1144061 - 03/12/09 02:47 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? kitten
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: erin go kitten
Originally Posted By: TheManOfSteel
i can't answer that. i don't want to be accused of judging....

If you do not answer it, then I will stroke your fur in the wrong direction.

::giggles::

i think all your examples are worth discussion.

some people judge the president as being bad/ineffective/useless/the greatest thing since pimiento loaf.

some people judge britney spears as being all kinds of bad things.

some people judge abuse victims

etc.

i know i judge people for things. i try not to, but i think it's human nature. i also recognize that i have no right to judge, because i'm no better than anyone else.

I am of the position that no one is truly in a position to judge whether another is worthy of eternity, and certainly cannot judge the general worth of others. But we can and certainly should judge actions as to their righteousness or wrongfulness, and wisely consider all factors that we can to determine if there is in fact a moral ramification as well as the culpability of the person involved. In fact, we do this in courts of law every day. We can certainly judge the effectiveness of decisions, and if it is appropriate, the intentions of the deciding party.

But all of this should be done with a continunal awarenes that we are ourselves sinners in need of the Mercy of God. Therein lies the pivotal point. The following teachings of Christ come to mind:

"That by which you measure another shall you be measured unto you."
"Love the sinner, but hate the sin."
"Forgive us our trespasses as we forgive this who trespass against us."

I would caution anyone reflecting upon those teachings not to take the easy way, in fact the cowards way out, by presuming this to mean an anything goes mentality is perfectly ok. If anything goes, then Jesus of Nazareth wasted his time, and should have just partied with the sinners with whom he sat and ate. He went among sinners, but to call them, not to sin with them.

Ok, off my soap box.

Return to Top
#1144063 - 03/12/09 02:48 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? TheManofSteel
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
party on!

Return to Top
#1144070 - 03/12/09 02:50 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? TheManofSteel
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
[quote=erin go kitten]i can't answer that. i don't want to be accused of judging....

some people judge the president as being bad/ineffective/useless/the greatest thing since pimiento loaf.

etc.

i know i judge people for things. i try not to, but i think it's human nature. i also recognize that i have no right to judge, because i'm no better than anyone else.

I am of the position that no one is truly in a position to judge whether another is worthy of eternity, and certainly cannot judge the general worth of others. But we can and certainly should judge actions as to their righteousness or wrongfulness, and wisely consider all factors that we can to determine if there is in fact a moral ramification as well as the culpability of the person involved. In fact, we do this in courts of law every day. We can certainly judge the effectiveness of decisions, and if it is appropriate, the intentions of the deciding party.

But all of this should be done with a continunal awarenes that we are ourselves sinners in need of the Mercy of God. Therein lies the pivotal point. The following teachings of Christ come to mind:

I would caution anyone reflecting upon those teachings not to take the easy way, in fact the cowards way out, by presuming this to mean an anything goes mentality is perfectly ok. If anything goes, then Jesus of Nazareth wasted his time, and should have just partied with the sinners with whom he sat and ate. He went among sinners, but to call them, not to sin with them.

Ok, off my soap box.
[/quote]

Yes, but she is buddhist eek

You know, the warm and fuzzies of the religious choices.

Return to Top
#1144076 - 03/12/09 02:53 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? #Just Jay
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Just Jay
[quote=TheManOfSteel][quote=erin go kitten]i can't answer that. i don't want to be accused of judging....

etc.

Ok, off my soap box.
[/quote]

Quote:
Yes, but she is buddhist eek

You know, the warm and fuzzies of the religious choices.

Buddhists are no less loved by God and Christ than Jews and Christians are wink
Last edited by TheManOfSteel; 03/12/09 02:54 PM.

Return to Top
#1144077 - 03/12/09 02:53 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? #Just Jay
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
kit, I agree that it's human nature to judge and I'm just as guilty as the next person of doing this. But, I've been evaluating my judgments this past year and it reveals some major insecurities from my childhood. We grew up very poor and I detested being in that economic class from a very young age. Early on, I tried to mold myself into something I viewed (by means of watching TV in the 80s) a lifestyle and manner that spoke of a proper middle class upbringing. Now I'm realizing that I really exhibited extreme disrespect to my parents for focusing on being nothing like them. It's come back to me.

Return to Top
#1144112 - 03/12/09 05:18 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? Bacon Boy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Therefore you are without excuse, every man of you who passes judgment, for in that you judge one another, you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things. And we know that the judgment of God rightly falls upon those who practice such things. (Romans 2:1-2)

Return to Top
#1144113 - 03/12/09 05:19 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? Pale Rider
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
<---- still a Buddhist

Return to Top
#1144123 - 03/12/09 05:32 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? kitten
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
I have also done some reflecting living in a small town. I find people to sometimes be not only judgmental but vocal about being so.

Because I wish not to get sucked in by it, I have very few close friends and walk away from conversations that I feel are "unproductive".

I still on occasion find myself doing it and remind myself to MYOB.

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1144167 - 03/12/09 06:24 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? Tigg
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
marinate your okra beforehand?

Return to Top
#1144169 - 03/12/09 06:26 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? Miscuit
A_G Offline
10K Club
::picks up judgment and passes it to Miscuit::

Return to Top
#1144171 - 03/12/09 06:31 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? Tigg
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
I think TMOS nailed it when he quoted God's instruction that we should "Love the sinner, hate the sin." Sometimes non-Christians infer that Christians use this as an excuse to judge others (non-Christians) as "sinners" and some in fact do, but the true calling by God is for Christians to realize that we are ALL sinners and all fall short. Everyone has their shortcomings, vices, moments of weakness, etc. and we should be careful to limit our judgement to the actions themselves and avoid judging the person, or even worse, putting ourselves above that person.

That being said, I think sometimes there are situations that require judging others, such as criminal cases, avoiding people who might bring you down, drug interventions, etc. For example, while done for the right reasons, interventions are a form of judging. The subject of such action is essentially judged as being on a wrong path from which he/she is unable to avoid him/herself. In that case, I would say judgement is a good thing. It all comes down to motives in those cases.

Return to Top
#1144185 - 03/12/09 06:39 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? GuitarDude
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: GuitarDude
I think TMOS nailed it when he quoted God's instruction that we should "Love the sinner, hate the sin." Sometimes non-Christians infer that Christians use this as an excuse to judge others (non-Christians) as "sinners" and some in fact do, but the true calling by God is for Christians to realize that we are ALL sinners and all fall short. Everyone has their shortcomings, vices, moments of weakness, etc. and we should be careful to limit our judgement to the actions themselves and avoid judging the person, or even worse, putting ourselves above that person.

That being said, I think sometimes there are situations that require judging others, such as criminal cases, avoiding people who might bring you down, drug interventions, etc. For example, while done for the right reasons, interventions are a form of judging. The subject of such action is essentially judged as being on a wrong path from which he/she is unable to avoid him/herself. In that case, I would say judgement is a good thing. It all comes down to motives in those cases.

Well thought out and well said GD.

Return to Top
#1144187 - 03/12/09 06:40 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? TheManofSteel
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX

Well thought out and well said GD.

is that your judgement? smirk

Return to Top
#1144190 - 03/12/09 06:41 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? kitten
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others?

Now.

Return to Top
#1144192 - 03/12/09 06:41 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? Miscuit
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Miscuit
is that your judgement? smirk

Correct my Wench grin

Return to Top
#1144193 - 03/12/09 06:42 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? TheManofSteel
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
grin

Return to Top
#1144198 - 03/12/09 06:44 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? Miscuit
A_G Offline
10K Club
Isn't the word judgment sans 'e?'

Judgement

Judgment

Or are both acceptable?

::runs to websters::

Return to Top
#1144203 - 03/12/09 06:47 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? TheManofSteel
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
The question should be, "when is ok to pass judgment on anyone's actions?"

And the answer - in post-modern Western society - is, "never."

Return to Top
#1144227 - 03/12/09 07:00 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? A_G
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: AuditGuy

Judgement

Judgment

Or are both acceptable?

According to Merriam-Webster.com, both are acceptable. I'm not sure why I put the extra "E" in there. Must be the way I learned it in school. Are you judgeing me for that? wink

Return to Top
#1144231 - 03/12/09 07:04 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? A_G
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX

Judgement

Judgment

Or are both acceptable?

judgment doesn't look right

well? whatja' find out, skippy?

Return to Top
#1144238 - 03/12/09 07:08 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? Miscuit
A_G Offline
10K Club
I typed in judgement and it came up as judgment but at the end of all the definitions:

Also, especially British, judgement.

Return to Top
#1144245 - 03/12/09 07:14 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? A_G
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
thanks ol' chap!

Return to Top
#1144247 - 03/12/09 07:15 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? A_G
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I thought most here were of German extraction?

Return to Top
#1144254 - 03/12/09 07:20 PM Re: when is it ok to pass judgement on others? GuitarDude
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands

Judgement

Judgment

Or are both acceptable?

According to Merriam-Webster.com, both are acceptable. I'm not sure why I put the extra "E" in there. Must be the way I learned it in school. Are you judgeing me for that? wink

Just make sure you never put an "E" at the end of Potato! whistle

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3