Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1146929 - 03/18/09 03:26 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan A_G
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Dear AG,

Don't you know it's my "off season", skippy??? Go steal one from your crabby neighbor!

Ho Ho Ho,
Santa

Return to Top
#1146932 - 03/18/09 03:27 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan A_G
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Growing AG
Dear SantaEaster Bunny,

I would like a nice flat screen TV. Oh and some Cadbury Eggs.

Sincerely,
AG

fixed

Return to Top
#1146933 - 03/18/09 03:27 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan Hrothgar Geiger
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Hrothgar Gieger
Dear Abby,

My neighbor just bought was just given a flat-screen TV by the government. He is anti-social, impious, unkempt, and snarls at Girl Scouts who come by to sell cookies. I don't believe he deserves to have a flat-screen TV. If I take it away from him, does that really count as stealing?

That is a more appropriate analogy than saying the neighbor purchased the TV when it comes to government spending.

Return to Top
#1146956 - 03/18/09 03:37 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan straw
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
too, too precious.

"It doesn't count as taking something away if I don't approve of you having it."

talk about magical thinking....

Return to Top
#1146963 - 03/18/09 03:42 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan Hrothgar Geiger
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
You stated that cutting Federal spending would be like taking away property that someone earned. You attempted to further explain premise by analogy, but rather than say the government bought it, your analogy said the neighbor bought it themselves.

If you believe that government spending is earned and any cuts are taking away something earned, so be it. Just don't think that is the same as working for it yourself and I don't think most on here would agree with your premise. I think you know that are trying to quickly switch the topic to avoid this issue.

Return to Top
#1146965 - 03/18/09 03:44 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan straw
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
that $$ that the government spends is mine to begin with!!!

Return to Top
#1146971 - 03/18/09 03:47 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan straw
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: straw
You stated that cutting Federal spending would be like taking away property that someone earned.

Please show where I stated this. I'll wait.

Return to Top
#1146974 - 03/18/09 03:50 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan Hrothgar Geiger
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: TX Bluebonnet
or by not spending in other areas

..and how is that different from saying "then someone is going to have to give up a piece of their pie so that someone else can have more" ?

Return to Top
#1146976 - 03/18/09 03:51 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan straw
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
yes...your implication was that by not spending, it would be "taking away the pie from others"

Return to Top
#1146986 - 03/18/09 03:54 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan Hrothgar Geiger
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
My neighbor just bought a flat-screen TV.

But that's NOT THE POINT of this.

Give up the neighbor and the TV scenario...these are veterans we are talking about.

Case in point...my sister, while in Iraq, picked up the PIECES of a dead Turkish soldier (he was riding with her and they hit an IED) and she had to wrap him in a tarp, and strap his body PIECES to the truck, because they were out of body bags. She has PTSD. You mean to tell me that BO wants her to pay for her own care? Are you kidding me?

What a joke of a man.

Return to Top
#1147024 - 03/18/09 04:18 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan QCL
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
You mean to tell me that BO wants her to pay for her own care?

No, this is not being proposed.

The issue is whether, if someone in the military has private insurance, the VA can get reimbursed by that insurance for what the VA has paid out for care. The service person definitely would not pay, it's just a question of whether the VA or the private insurance would pay.

Return to Top
#1147056 - 03/18/09 04:33 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan QCL
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
straw and tx-bluebonnet:

Let's say the federal budget pie has three slices; White House parties, active duty military pay, and veteran's health care.

Next, let's say you want the slices for active duty pay and veteran's health care to be larger.

Option 1. you can make the whole pie bigger.

Oh, wait, you wanted another option "by not spending in other areas".

Well, OK, we will reduce, or even take away the White House party slice, and re-allocate that part of the pie to the other two.

What you're telling me is that because you don't think the White House should even *have* a party budget, taking it away doesn't count as the White House 'giving up a piece of the pie'.

Return to Top
#1147070 - 03/18/09 04:39 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan Hrothgar Geiger
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Yoss - perhaps you do not understand medical insurance in this country. You act like there would be no adverse affect on the soldier.

Have year heard of terms like:
"lifetime max"?
"self-insured health insurance plan" on the part of the company?

Return to Top
#1147080 - 03/18/09 04:43 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan QCL
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
QCL,

1. not Yoss.
2. perhaps you don't understand the following post;
"The proposition that private health insurers should pay for veteran's health care in addition to coverage by the Federal government is probably a bad idea for any number of reasons. Frankly, I don't know enough about the underlying details to even begin to list the reasons why it's a bad idea."

Return to Top
#1147085 - 03/18/09 04:46 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan Hrothgar Geiger
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
QCL,

1. not Yoss.
2. perhaps you don't understand the following post;
"The proposition that private health insurers should pay for veteran's health care in addition to coverage by the Federal government is probably a bad idea for any number of reasons. Frankly, I don't know enough about the underlying details to even begin to list the reasons why it's a bad idea."

HG:

QCL was respondng to Yoss' last post even though she happened to hit "reply" under yours.

Return to Top
#1147088 - 03/18/09 04:48 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan QCL
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
You act like there would be no adverse affect on the soldier.

All I said was that the service member was not being asked to "pay for her own care". Whether there would be any adverse effects would depend on the details of the plan.

Return to Top
#1147089 - 03/18/09 04:49 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan Hrothgar Geiger
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
straw and tx-bluebonnet:

Let's say the federal budget pie has three slices; White House parties, active duty military pay, and veteran's health care.

Next, let's say you want the slices for active duty pay and veteran's health care to be larger.

Option 1. you can make the whole pie bigger.

Oh, wait, you wanted another option "by not spending in other areas".

Well, OK, we will reduce, or even take away the White House party slice, and re-allocate that part of the pie to the other two.

What you're telling me is that because you don't think the White House should even *have* a party budget, taking it away doesn't count as the White House 'giving up a piece of the pie'.

Your premise is that "white house party" is forever entitled to that money (taxpayer money taken from the people) and that this is a zero sum game, which of course it is not.

Return to Top
#1147091 - 03/18/09 04:50 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan Yossarian
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
Quote:
You act like there would be no adverse affect on the soldier.

All I said was that the service member was not being asked to "pay for her own care". Whether there would be any adverse effects would depend on the details of the plan.

extrapolate. What are the odds that the veteran would not have to pay for any care? I know you will say you cannot tell, but for others, what do you think. Is it more likely or less likely veterans would have to pay for some care?

Return to Top
#1147100 - 03/18/09 04:55 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan Yossarian
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
What about the fact that if private insurers start having to cover military, or reimburse the government for their care, the cost of this care is going to be paid for by us, since we're the ones who will have higher premiums.

At this point in time, I would think that the government care is most likely cheaper than the cost of adding the eligible military to to private insurance.

If my husband goes on my medical - the cost more than doubles. If I go on his - the cost more than doubles, plus his company charges a $100/mth surcharge because I have the option to be covered by my employer.

Return to Top
#1147107 - 03/18/09 04:57 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan Snow Bunny
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
"old-fashioned" ^^^^^^^^

Return to Top
#1147109 - 03/18/09 04:59 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan straw
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
straw,

No, it is not my premise that 'white house party' is forever entitled to anything. The pie-slicing is at a point in time.

It is only a zero-sum game when someone, like TxBlueBonnet says "I don't want to make the pie bigger, I want to 'not spend in other areas'.

If, as I've suggested 2 or 3 times you want to make some slices of the pie bigger, 1 way to accomplish that is to make the pie bigger (ie, not make it a zero sum game.)

Return to Top
#1147112 - 03/18/09 05:00 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan straw
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
extrapolate. What are the odds that the veteran would not have to pay for any care?

If the language of the law didn't allow for it to count against lifetime maximums, for example, then it wouldn't. You are not asking for extrapolation, you are asking for speculation.

Return to Top
#1147122 - 03/18/09 05:06 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan Yossarian
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Speculate. What are the odds that the veteran would not have to pay for any care?

I am sure you will answer the question now (sarcasm)

Return to Top
#1147130 - 03/18/09 05:14 PM Re: Veterans Groups Blast Obama Plan straw
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
If the law prohibits that effect, then 0%. If the law allows that effect then 100%.

Better?

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3