Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1148368 - 03/19/09 11:17 PM Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift!
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
laugh

Quote:
Gordon Brown is frustrated by 'Psycho' in No 10

Alas, when the PM settled down to begin watching them the other night, he found there was a problem.

The films only worked in DVD players made in North America and the words "wrong region" came up on his screen. Although he mournfully had to put the popcorn away, he is unlikely to jeopardise the special relationship – or "special partnership", as we are now supposed to call it – by registering a complaint.

--snip--

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopi...o-in-No-10.html

Cue the new Obama Administration Theme Song!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1148389 - 03/20/09 02:09 AM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Bimmer
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
classic!

Return to Top
#1148390 - 03/20/09 02:11 AM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Bimmer
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
I thought THIS was going to be the theme for BO's administration. whistle grin

Return to Top
#1148398 - 03/20/09 03:02 AM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! GuitarDude
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Gordon Brown's sight is not good either, is it?

A real class act!

Return to Top
#1148399 - 03/20/09 03:37 AM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! GuitarDude
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
I thought this was the theme song for Obama.

Return to Top
#1148407 - 03/20/09 11:06 AM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! The OG Zaibatsu
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Bimmer, I see that congratulations are in order! Well done.

Return to Top
#1148589 - 03/20/09 02:18 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Hrothgar Geiger
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Why are you congratulating me for having a complete moron for a President? confused

Return to Top
#1148633 - 03/20/09 02:45 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Bimmer
ITGuy Offline
Gold Star
Alabama
Originally Posted By: Bimmer
Why are you congratulating me for having a complete moron for a President? confused

Poor Bimmer...thinks George Dubya is still President grin

Return to Top
#1148671 - 03/20/09 03:03 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! ITGuy
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
I wonder if How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days was among the DVDs given. Or Teen Witch??

Return to Top
#1148672 - 03/20/09 03:03 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! ITGuy
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: ITGuy

Poor IT Guy and his Ilk can't accept the fact that "The One", without a teleprompter, is a bigger Mental Midget that Bush ever was!

Return to Top
#1148676 - 03/20/09 03:06 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Bimmer
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
but my daddy can beat up your daddy!!!

grin

Return to Top
#1148678 - 03/20/09 03:07 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! ITGuy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: ITGuy

Yes, you have to give him credit, Obama is setting new records in his pace to screw up this country.

Return to Top
#1148681 - 03/20/09 03:08 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Miscuit
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
what is in the coffee we are drinking this morning?

Return to Top
#1148682 - 03/20/09 03:09 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Pale Rider
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
<---- doesn't drink coffee

Return to Top
#1148683 - 03/20/09 03:09 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Miscuit
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
^^^^^^

that explains it!

Return to Top
#1148687 - 03/20/09 03:13 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Pale Rider
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
explains what??? that i'm crazy???

no...you'll need to take that up with my parents...i blame them smile

Return to Top
#1148691 - 03/20/09 03:20 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Bimmer
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore

Oh, no. I'm congratulating you for having graduated from Shemp's Skool of Grammer.

As far as the underlying story goes, it's a little puzzling to me. Let me explain why...

First, if President Obama actually gave Gordon Brown DVDs in NTSC format, that's just, well, careless, stupid, or silly (take your pick.)
The puzzling part is this, if you attempt to play an NTSC DVD in a PAL DVD player, you don't get 'wrong region' as an error message. It usually just won't load. The formats are incompatible.

Return to Top
#1148697 - 03/20/09 03:27 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Hrothgar Geiger
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
It usually just won't load. The formats are incompatible.

I'm a little puzzled by this underlying explanation. if the format is incompatible, it will never load. yet, you say it usually won't load.

Return to Top
#1148702 - 03/20/09 03:31 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
:places popcorn in the magneto:

Return to Top
#1148704 - 03/20/09 03:34 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Hrothgar Geiger
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: Hrothgar Gieger

Oh, no. I'm congratulating you for having graduated from Shemp's Skool of Grammer.

As far as the underlying story goes, it's a little puzzling to me. Let me explain why...

First, if President Obama actually gave Gordon Brown DVDs in NTSC format, that's just, well, careless, stupid, or silly (take your pick.)
The puzzling part is this, if you attempt to play an NTSC DVD in a PAL DVD player, you don't get 'wrong region' as an error message. It usually just won't load. The formats are incompatible.

Understood. But if you took a Region 1 (US) DVD and put it in a DVD player that can only play Region 2 (UK) DVD's, you will get the "Wrong Region" error message!

Return to Top
#1148710 - 03/20/09 03:42 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Bimmer
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I'm sure the ultra-right Telegraph crafted this entire incident and the videos are playing just fine...

Return to Top
#1148731 - 03/20/09 03:55 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Bimmer
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore

Understood. But if you took a Region 1 (US) DVD and put it in a DVD player that can only play Region 2 (UK) DVD's, you will get the "Wrong Region" error message!

That is true only if the two players (sorry, if the dvd and the player) are of the same format. An NTSC DVD coded for Region 1, if played in an NTSC DVD player configured for Region 2 will display "Wrong Region".
However, format trumps region. The UK is on the PAL standard. The US is on NTSC.
Last edited by Hrothgar Gieger; 03/20/09 04:08 PM. Reason: clarity
Return to Top
#1148756 - 03/20/09 04:15 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! HappyGilmore
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore
Quote:
It usually just won't load. The formats are incompatible.

I'm a little puzzled by this underlying explanation. if the format is incompatible, it will never load. yet, you say it usually won't load.

Different machines handle the incompatibility in different ways.

Return to Top
#1148767 - 03/20/09 04:24 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Hrothgar Geiger
Jokerman Offline
10K Club

Good point - after all, we all know that nothing about this gift was careless, stupid, or silly.

Return to Top
#1148786 - 03/20/09 04:35 PM Re: Those DVD's that BO thought was a good gift! Hrothgar Geiger
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands

That is true only if the two players (sorry, if the dvd and the player) are of the same format. An NTSC DVD coded for Region 1, if played in an NTSC DVD player configured for Region 2 will display "Wrong Region".
However, format trumps region. The UK is on the PAL standard. The US is on NTSC.

Yea, I guess it just not possible that PM Brown has one of those New Fangled DVD players that can play NTSC and PAL video formats! smirk

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2