Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1152252 - 03/26/09 07:24 PM Personal or Business Purpose?
Pickles Offline
Gold Star
Beach Bum, East Coast, USA
Our client wants to refinance (no new money), a purchase money loan where the proceeds were used to purchase a Non-Owner occupied rental property. She does not reside there for more than 14 days in a calendar year (Reg.Z,226.3(a)(3). The loan originally closed as a business purpose loan. The underwriter feels that because the client does not want to sell the property to a real estate developer and although the Borrower is currently renting the property, she is reporting sporadic income on Schedule E so the loan transaction should be personal purpose. I disagree.. HELP!!!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1152262 - 03/26/09 07:32 PM Re: Personal or Business Purpose? Pickles
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If the property is currently being rented what is the loan officer's reaosoning for this being a consumer purposes refinaning?

Return to Top
#1152272 - 03/26/09 07:41 PM Re: Personal or Business Purpose? Dan Persfull
Pickles Offline
Gold Star
The underwriter refers to the factors in section 226.3(a)(2).. *The borrower's primary occupation bears little relationship to the purpose of the loan
*The borrower will have little management involvement in the item purchased or the activity that is financed with the loan proceeds

I advised them that it doesn't matter that the Sch.E shows a loss, to the fact that the property is Non-Owner Occupied Rental property is an investment..

Return to Top
#1152278 - 03/26/09 07:45 PM Re: Personal or Business Purpose? Pickles
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Your underwriter needs to understand that RENTAL property (as opposed to INVESTMENT (sale) property) is an automatic business purpose loan. It's quite clear in the regulation.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1152279 - 03/26/09 07:45 PM Re: Personal or Business Purpose? RR Joker
Pickles Offline
Gold Star
Thanks!!!

Return to Top
#1152314 - 03/26/09 08:09 PM Re: Personal or Business Purpose? Pickles
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Look at 3(a)3

http://www.bankersonline.com/regs/226/suppi226-3.html

Remember that the Commentary has the full force and effect as the Reg itself.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1152571 - 03/27/09 01:15 PM Re: Personal or Business Purpose? Andy_Z
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
And let me qualify my response a bit better as I was strictly basing it on the facts given that this was a refinance of original purchase money for a rental property.

Let's take this one step further, given that the rental exemption only applies to acquire, maintain or improve the property. If that same borrower pledged rental property as collateral for a loan for personal purposes (to buy a car, educate a child, etc), the exemption wouldn't apply.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z