Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#115260 - 09/17/03 03:01 PM Clean desk policy
ksurban Offline
New Poster
ksurban
College Station, Texas, USA
Does anyone have an effective way of encouraging a clean desk policy to protect confidential customer information? We've tried several things but always have problems with our loan officers.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#115261 - 09/17/03 03:07 PM Re: Clean desk policy
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
This past month, when I did the training for the USA Patriot Act and BSA refresher, I included a little about information security. I included in the written handouts a reminder to clear desks and gave our after hours janitorial service as an example of how information could get out. Short of policing the desks at the end of each day, I don't know what else to do.

Return to Top
#115262 - 09/17/03 03:09 PM Re: Clean desk policy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Punishment! Get support from the top, and establish a privacy police task force and have little sticky pads that get your point across when someone has violated the rules. Have some concrete repurcussions for anyone that receives "x" amount of tags on their desk. It is too important of a situation not to get tough. (and I am not suggesting treating anyone like a child, but on the other hand, you should not be forced to be in a babysitting situation either)

Return to Top
#115263 - 09/17/03 03:11 PM Re: Clean desk policy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just to add one thing, we have a committee of 5 of us who meet once in a while to discuss the exact same kind of things. One of the more vigilant members of the committee slips however, once in a while. He is not in customer contact, but he has been known to leave his desk and not lock down his computer. I tape a big note on his screen whenever he does this and I just hand write "BUSTED" on it. It tears him apart when I catch him.

Return to Top
#115264 - 09/17/03 03:11 PM Re: Clean desk policy
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
An effective way to manage this is for the President to inform the staff via a written memo and include it in the Employeee Handbook that any employee that leaves confidential customer information unsecured is subject to immediate termination. That would be the most effective means of policing this situation. Bank management just needs to take a firm stand and be done with it. Make it part of your culture and it becomes second hand.

Return to Top
#115265 - 09/17/03 03:54 PM Re: Clean desk policy
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
Just for fun, if you have one that continually disregards this policy, go in to the office one night (or morning) and take every, single paper that should have been locked up. Then just sit back and watch someone panic

Return to Top
#115266 - 09/17/03 07:06 PM Re: Clean desk policy
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I have emphasized this point repeatedly to my staff, and they are very good about locking documents up at night. Whenever one of them slips up, I simply take the material, lock it in the vault, and present them with the material the first thing next morning. They get the message, and are very conscientious from then on. Also, I set the example by always clearing my desk completely every day.

I don't see a need for harsh words, confrontations, or overly punitive threats. Lead by example, lead by explaining the reasoning, lead by expecting compliance.

And by the way, my department probably knows that the two most blatant flouters of the clean desk rule are two of the most senior officers of the bank. And yet they know better than to use such a flimsy excuse with me.

Return to Top
#115267 - 09/17/03 07:39 PM Re: Clean desk policy
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Steve, so do you lock of the papers of the "two most senior officials of the bank" also? I have a similar situation and I am really concerned that it would strain future relations.

Return to Top
#115268 - 09/17/03 08:10 PM Re: Clean desk policy
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I'm afraid I'd kill Steve But when the office is really a mess I lock it with a special key Even the cleaners avoid the place on weeks like this one.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#115269 - 09/17/03 08:48 PM Clean desk policy
elcinoca Offline
Platinum Poster
Elizabeth City, NC
Well, this only works a once, maybe twice a year, but desks and offices get cleaned mighty well around here when there's a hurricane on the way!

Best of luck to my fellow East coast BOLers.

MarkB

Return to Top
#115270 - 09/17/03 10:05 PM Re: Clean desk policy
Anonymous
Unregistered

elcinoca... I know your BOL name stands for Elizabeth City in North Carolina and I really dig it but everytime I see it, it always reminds me of the allergy medicine "echenecia" (spelling of course is wrong)

Thanks for all your contributions...Your friendly neighborhood BOL User

Return to Top
#115271 - 09/17/03 10:20 PM Re: Clean desk policy
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

Steve, so do you lock of the papers of the "two most senior officials of the bank" also? I have a similar situation and I am really concerned that it would strain future relations.

One is an EVP, the other is the CEO. So, I try not to go into those offices. In fact, I try to stay off that floor.

Return to Top
#115272 - 09/17/03 10:23 PM Re: Clean desk policy
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

I'm afraid I'd kill Steve But when the office is really a mess I lock it with a special key Even the cleaners avoid the place on weeks like this one.

You wouldn't kill your own cousin, would you?

Please, kill me and put me out of my misery! I can't stand living at the office anymore.

Return to Top
#115273 - 09/17/03 11:59 PM Re: Clean desk policy
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Lets have a family shoot out Steve. Aside from last weekend, I've been here every day..including Saturday and Sunday. grumble grumble grumble...danged examiners Oh umm I'm looking forward to their visit actually. Ya ya, that's the ticket

Return to Top
#115274 - 09/18/03 02:01 PM Re: Clean desk policy
Rangers Fan Offline
Gold Star
Rangers Fan
We did the training, e-mail warnings, etc. and had the president get involved when results didn't happen like we needed. Then for those areas where it is just too difficult to put everything away at night (large commercial loan files, etc.), those officers are given a choice to either lock these items up in a large cabinet just for this or they can just lock their offices (no, the cleaning crew does not have keys to these offices). That way, they have a choice on what is easier for them, but everyone still knows how important the whole safeguarding cust. info issue is. And yes, do go "roaming" around after hour occasionally, just to spot check and see how folks are doing. Don't forget, and not making excuses here, but this whole issue is sometimes hard for long time bankers to grasp and is well compared to working in a hospital and having to put up all your medical stuff up at night where no one can see it. It just takes training, and repetition and then dealing with it when those few just don't want to abide by your policies. Good luck.

Return to Top
#115275 - 09/18/03 02:03 PM Re: Clean desk policy
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another good practice would be top provide each officer their own shredder.

Return to Top
#115276 - 09/18/03 02:23 PM Re: Clean desk policy
reinkesd Offline
100 Club
reinkesd
Connecticut
Didn't I read in another post that some banks use "privacy stickies" where they put them on docs that have been left out? It might be a subtle way to bring it to an employees attention. I kinda like Dave's "BUSTED". as it lends a touch of humor.

We have this argument ongoing. The usual rebuttal is that by the time they clean off their desk at night and then resort everything in the morning they've wasted a bunch of time. We've suggested alphabetical tickler files that can be used to sort and then easily tucked away at night.

Return to Top
#115277 - 09/18/03 03:10 PM Re: Clean desk policy
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Yes, I use the stickies. It works very well in most places, however, some people are very sensitive and they just refuse to understand that it is the law. True enough that the harderst ones to retrain are the ones that have been in banking the longest. For the most part, the stickies work well and most see the humor. You can order through BOL -- here

Ranting Ahead But why do they think that it is our job to figure out a system for them to comply. Can't they find a drawer, a lock, something-----or are we paying them too much and thinking is not one of their requirements. You know they find fault with every solution we offer --- or do they think that this justifies non-compliance?

OK, Steve, I guess I need some kind comments now.

Return to Top
#115278 - 09/18/03 04:02 PM Re: Clean desk policy
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
If employees did everything they were supposed to do, the need for supervisors would be greatly diminished. Part of my responsibility as a leader is to provide whatever is needed for my staff to do their respective jobs, and then to make sure that they use it.

I am a huge believer in leading by example. Since both my "executive officer" and I are highly anal retentive in our work habits, setting the example in this area comes naturally.

OK, I have to hide now. Dawnie is loading her rifle!

Return to Top
#115279 - 09/18/03 11:01 PM Re: Clean desk policy
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Heh heh, I know where to find you cousin! Actually I'm not sure...I can't see past this pile of stuff on my desk....

Return to Top
#115280 - 09/19/03 01:18 PM Re: Clean desk policy
Anonymous
Unregistered

my team said they like being about to find things faster now and have things in better order to start their day.

they see the priorities easier if they are sorted when put away at night. many like my clean desk rule. always some that don't but they do it because everyone else does.

Return to Top
#115281 - 09/20/03 05:44 AM Re: Clean desk policy
wavewatcher Offline
Diamond Poster
wavewatcher
Hawaii
We have to keep re-enforcing our clean desk policy. I now say that how would you like it if at your bank, all your private info was available.

We will also be "trashing picking" quarterly to get the message across. But now, the Compliance Officer will keep the NPI stuff instead of the supervisor. Lets see if they can track down the CO - some days it's very difficult.

Return to Top
#115282 - 10/03/03 06:14 PM Re: Clean desk policy
KimC Offline
100 Club
Minnesota
We have a records room where all loan files, CDs, IRAs, etc. are kept. This room is locked at day's end and not entered by our cleaning crew. The bank bought big rubbermaid type totes for each lender and processor to put all their files, etc. in at the end of the day. CSRs use a different size container with their names on them. These are all locked in the records room at night. This seems to be a good way to make sure their desks are cleaned off and also helps to have your current projects in one place.

Return to Top