Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1058789 - 10/06/08 04:01 PM GMI and construction loans
ComplianceisOK Offline
100 Club
ComplianceisOK
Dickinson, ND
I want to ensure that I am understanding the process correctly - if at the time of application the intent is to do a construction loan with permanent financing to follow then GMI would be collected at that time. Correct? The application would indicate construction to permanent. It is also my understanding that "construction" is only indicated on the application if the bank is only intending to the construction loan. Correct?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1058796 - 10/06/08 04:12 PM Re: GMI and construction loans ComplianceisOK
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:
if at the time of application the intent is to do a construction loan with permanent financing to follow then GMI would be collected at that time. Correct?

Correct.

Quote:
It is also my understanding that "construction" is only indicated on the application if the bank is only intending to the construction loan. Correct?

This is an internal process. You just need to make sure loan officers make it clear (document) what the purpose of the loan is for.

Return to Top
#1058800 - 10/06/08 04:13 PM Re: GMI and construction loans ComplianceisOK
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You collect GMI for const/perm loans. Const only loans you do not.

Return to Top
#1058904 - 10/06/08 05:15 PM Re: GMI and construction loans Dan Persfull
ComplianceisOK Offline
100 Club
ComplianceisOK
Dickinson, ND
Thank you - another question - would a separate application for the permanent financing be required?

Return to Top
#1058909 - 10/06/08 05:17 PM Re: GMI and construction loans ComplianceisOK
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
No. An application is a request for credit. You received that when they originally applied. If you want to have them fill out another piece of paper (labeled an "application") you can, but it's not an "application" per any regulation.

Return to Top
#1080636 - 11/12/08 07:42 PM Re: GMI and construction loans David Dickinson
Dollye7 Offline
Gold Star
Dollye7
Southwest USA
Am I understanding this correctly?

If the loan is for construction only - and we do not intend to do the permanent loan - we would not need an application and we would not collect GMI.

Is this based on RESPA regs for temporary financing and "B" or what else?

Also does it matter if the customer owns the lot or is purchasing the lot for the construction loan?

Thanks!

Return to Top
#1080650 - 11/12/08 07:52 PM Re: GMI and construction loans Dollye7
tcredle Offline
100 Club
We always obtain an application if we are doing a constuction loan and not doing the pernament financing. We mark through the government monitoring so it is not completed by the customer.

Deciding what disclosures to use we use this as a rule of thumb:

owns land & take out letter--GFE, no---Early TIL, no
purchase land & take out leter--GFE, yes---Early TIL no

Return to Top
#1080672 - 11/12/08 08:08 PM Re: GMI and construction loans tcredle
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:
If the loan is for construction only - and we do not intend to do the permanent loan - we would not need an application and we would not collect GMI.

That is correct. See the Commentary to 202.13(a)(3) and (5).

Quote:
purchase land & take out leter--GFE, yes---Early TIL no

The loan is subject to RESPA because of the transfer of title to the first user; and a construction loan meets the definition of a residential mortgage transaction, therefore you have a RMT subject to RESPA. The ETIL would be required under 226.19(a).

Return to Top
#1080703 - 11/12/08 08:27 PM Re: GMI and construction loans Dan Persfull
tcredle Offline
100 Club
subject to RESPA if doing the permanent, but if not doing the permanent does the mortgage company doing the permanent not do the truth in lending

Return to Top
#1080725 - 11/12/08 08:34 PM Re: GMI and construction loans tcredle
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
If you make a construction loan and a portion of the proceeds are to transfer title to the first user (purchase the lot) the loan is not exempt from RESPA. See 3500.5.

. . . . The exemption for temporary financing does not apply to a loan made to finance construction of 1- to 4-family residential property if the loan is used as, or may be converted to, permanent financing by the same lender or is used to finance transfer of title to the first user. . . . .

You would need to give an ETIL for your construction loan.

Return to Top
#1080850 - 11/12/08 10:15 PM Re: GMI and construction loans Dan Persfull
Dollye7 Offline
Gold Star
Dollye7
Southwest USA
Thanks Dan,

So - we would need the application if the customer is purchasing the real estate to contruct the homestead on - regardless of whether we do the permanent or not...or for how long.

Correct?

Thanks!

Return to Top
#1081027 - 11/13/08 01:37 PM Re: GMI and construction loans Dollye7
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Not by regulation. See my reference to the Commentary for 202.13(a)(3).

Return to Top
#1154281 - 03/31/09 01:15 AM Re: GMI and construction loans Dan Persfull
Jan94 Offline
Platinum Poster
USA
I could use some help in understanding how this paragraph from the commentary applies in regard to the collecting of GMI. I thought I understood that a construction-only loan is generally exempt due to temporary financing, but this paragraph indicates that if a dwelling is "built" and becomes the principal dwelling within a year or "upon completion of construction", it would be subject to GMI. This doesn't reference a "permanent loan" or is that the assumption? Thank you.

4. New principal residence. A person can have only one principal residence at a time. However, if a person buys or builds a new dwelling that will become that person’s principal residence within a year or upon completion of construction, the new dwelling is considered the principal residence for purposes of § 202.13.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z