Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1152889 - 03/27/09 03:55 PM Job Duties
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
I am currently in a situation that is very disturbing to me. I am the internal auditor and compliance officer. The ceo was cfo until 1/2/09. He tried to lay me off 2 weeks later. When that didn't work he got mad at me and I am not allowed to speak to him. I have a liason to give messages to him. He got my audit schedule in January and today he decided to tell me that I cannot divide the audits between myself and the other auditors the way I did. I decided to take over some of the compliance audits and to outsource some of the other audits. This was done for cost savings. In my area there is about $30 per hour difference between compliance auditors and other auditors.

I need to find in writing exactly what he can and cannot tell me to do. I know that I report directly to the audit committee and the board but I need to get things in writing.

He also stated that he can take away compliance.

I am trying to put together a small package for the audit committee detailing exactly what an auditor does and what the ceo can tell the auditor to do.

Thanks for the help. It is so discouraging for the ceo to tell the audit committee that he doesn't have a problem with my work and then to treat me this way. I am wasting so much time trying to hold on to a job I do very well.

Return to Top
Audit
#1152917 - 03/27/09 04:16 PM Re: Job Duties KAT
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
Do you have an Audit Charter? Ours defines very explicitely the auditor's role. That would be a good place to start with your discussion with the Board.

That being said, the CEO should not be able to tell you what and when to audit. That destroys your independence and credibility.

Why would it be a bad thing if he took away compliance? Less money? We have two departments-one for complince and one for audit. Granted they are one person departments but they are separate. If you are auditing some of the complaince areas such as BSA you are not independent.

Sounds like a bad situation and one you might want to think about getting out of.

Return to Top
#1152962 - 03/27/09 04:52 PM Re: Job Duties Ready to Retire
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
I don't mind if the compliance goes away but we outsource the BSA audit. The charter states I report administratively and functionally to the audit committee which the ceo is ignoring.

I have been looking for a job for a while and can't find anything. I know it will take time to find one.

Thanks for responding. It is a difficult situation to deal with and I am just trying to remain positive and do my best but it gets harder every day.

Return to Top
#1152964 - 03/27/09 04:56 PM Re: Job Duties KAT
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
I can't imagine the stress of working in that environment. Good luck with the job search.

It sounds like the Audit Committee should step in and put him in his place. Do you have a good relationship with them? I sure hope he isn't on the committee.

Return to Top
#1153716 - 03/30/09 03:38 PM Re: Job Duties Ready to Retire
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
Luckily he is not on the committee. They seem to back me but none of them are strong. All I need to do is find a job and a good labor lawyer.

Return to Top
#1154052 - 03/30/09 08:05 PM Re: Job Duties KAT
biz Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Or your examiners.

Return to Top
#1154661 - 03/31/09 04:53 PM Re: Job Duties biz
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
You are so correct