Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#115531 - 09/18/03 03:43 PM CIP and Loans
Anonymous
Unregistered

As far as I can tell CIP Applies to all types of Loans including mortgages. It is my understanding that CIP should be done at the application. Does this mean that prequalifications do not need CIP?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#115532 - 09/18/03 05:30 PM Re: CIP and Loans
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
I would say no - it only applies to customers that actually open accounts.

Return to Top
#115533 - 09/18/03 07:51 PM Re: CIP and Loans
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I agree with Deena. You don't have a customer until the account is opened. A prequal isn't an account and wouldn't have yet required CIP to be complete.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#115534 - 09/19/03 03:06 PM Re: CIP and Loans
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Maybe I'm not seeing it, or maybe I'm thinking too much about this, but does CIP regs state that identification must be done at application?

According to Kirchaman, an "account" for CIP purposes is an ongoing, formal banking relationship, such as a deposit account, a loan or line of credit, a safe deposit box lease, trust services, and the like.

Is there an ongoing banking relationship at application or does the relationship start when the loan is originated?

I'm asking because our mortgage company would rather get verification at closing (this would be up to the title company that closes our loans). The L.O. would get social security number, address and date of birth. It would go through processing and a credit report would be obtained.

If only one applicant is there with the L.O. and they have to send disclosures home for the other applicant to sign, when would they get identification from the person not there?

Return to Top
#115535 - 09/19/03 03:10 PM Re: CIP and Loans
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Our applicants are getting notice when they apply, if they apply in person, ID will be obtained at that time.

Also, notice that ID is required is given in the commitment letter as a condition of the loan.

Finally, in the closing instructions the closing agent/attorney will obtain and verify ID if it has not already been obtained and verified previously. The closing agent will also be signing a certification of obtaining and verifying the ID.

That's what we are doing.

Return to Top
#115536 - 09/19/03 03:31 PM Re: CIP and Loans
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You have to provide a notice to the customer before the account is opened. "Before" can be a very long or a very short time. And you have to meet your CIP requirements before the account is opened, allowing that some requirements may be met afterward.

But an application is not a relationship, as you noted.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#115537 - 09/19/03 03:38 PM Re: CIP and Loans
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Thanks for the input Maria and Andy.

Notification is simple. That will be on each L.O.s desk and in with the disclosures they provide.

Actually getting the verification can be a bit trickier (ie. drivers license for each applicant).

Maria's point about putting a statement on the commitment letter that verification will be obtained at closing is excellent. I'm going to add that to ours.

Return to Top
#115538 - 09/19/03 03:53 PM Re: CIP and Loans
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Link to similar thread.

Return to Top
#115539 - 09/19/03 05:04 PM Re: CIP and Loans
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I can't take credit for the idea about the commitment/closing letters. Our CLO thought of that. But when I read Ken's link, I realized maybe our CLO is a BOLer!
I hope he doesn't know it's me when I am lender-bashing...

Return to Top
#115540 - 09/19/03 05:15 PM Re: CIP and Loans
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Sorry Maria, all your posts are automatically forwarded to him. Is that a problem?

Return to Top
#115541 - 09/19/03 05:25 PM Re: CIP and Loans
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Quote:

Sorry Maria, all your posts are automatically forwarded to him. Is that a problem?

Ken:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Anyone looking to hire a reasonably priced, relatively new, compliance officer??

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z