Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1153095 - 03/27/09 06:49 PM UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do?
Jenn-Lynn Offline
Oklahoma
What do you do with mail that is returned from the Post Office as undeliverable?

Do you keep sending the mail to the old address anyway?

Do you change the address (if provided a new one by the Post Office) based on the Post Office's information?

Or do you just hold all mail until contacted by the customer.

We are getting approx. 2,000 pieces of mail back per WEEK. We'd like to see what other banks are doing and if there is any regulatory guidance concerning this issue. (I couldn't really find anything).

Your feedback is very much appreciated. Have a great day.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#1154098 - 03/30/09 08:53 PM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? Jenn-Lynn
Kitty Offline
100 Club
Kitty
We log all undeliverable mail in our system. We change the status of the account to no mail. Statements are still produced and are available in our report archive but are not printed and mailed to the customer.

If the returned mail contains a forwarding address we send a letter to the customer requesting that they update the they have on their accounts.

Return to Top
#1154185 - 03/30/09 09:38 PM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? Kitty
Jenn-Lynn Offline
Oklahoma
Thanks, those are good ideas.

Does anyone do something else?

Return to Top
#1154324 - 03/31/09 11:34 AM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? Jenn-Lynn
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Jenn-Lynn, you may also want to check the state's eschetement laws for the states where the account holders are domiciled. I believe that the returned mail may start the loss of contact provisions in some states.

Return to Top
#1155044 - 03/31/09 09:30 PM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? Rocky P
Jenn-Lynn Offline
Oklahoma
Good point. I hadn't thought about that.

Return to Top
#1155221 - 04/01/09 12:30 PM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? Jenn-Lynn
Fraudman CFCI Offline
Power Poster
Fraudman CFCI
Land of Steady Habits
This issue should be addressed in your Red Flags Program, too. Definitely flag the account with bad address status. You need to check to see if there is ongoing activity and if it is fraud. If you do not currently subscribe to Accurint, I suggest you consider it. www.accurint.com

I have located many people with this service.

Return to Top
#1156303 - 04/02/09 01:30 PM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? Fraudman CFCI
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
following hurricane Katrine, when half of Louisiana seemed to have moved, we were recieving over 6,000 return envelopes per day! We would flag each customer in our Fidelity system so that if they came in to a branch to make a deposit, we would ask for their new address. This caught only a small amount, and we finally subscribed to a system the post office had where they would attempt to forward if they had a new address on file. it was not cheap, I think it was $.75 for each forward. Took us about 1 1/2 years to clean this mess up.

Return to Top
#1156782 - 04/02/09 06:55 PM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? HappyGilmore
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Address forwarding and correction is fairly common, but to answer the question about whether anyone does anything else - I think a key thing to determine is whether you need additional controls over the account, similar to those you would put in place for a dormant account.

Return to Top
#1157133 - 04/03/09 01:49 PM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? Jokerman
Jenn-Lynn Offline
Oklahoma
Thanks to everyone, you have given me lots of viewpoints that I hadn't thought about.

Return to Top
#1157853 - 04/03/09 10:20 PM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? Jenn-Lynn
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
You can also allow for a fee, properly disclosed, for the now "hold statement" status on the account.

Remember that your deposit agreement should require that they keep you updated on their address. If they don't that could be a problem.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1168801 - 04/23/09 03:14 PM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? Andy_Z
mbernard Offline
100 Club
On a related note, if we get returned mail and know the address is bad, can we stop sending statements, notices, etc until the account has been updated? Right now we have a warning on the account so the frontline staff can get the information when the member comes in. We are working on an address verification system through Home Banking right now.

Any thoughts? I just want to be clear...thanks!

Return to Top
#1168812 - 04/23/09 03:19 PM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? mbernard
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
As long as you can re-create the information this should be acceptable. I can't see any benefit from continuing to send mail to an address the bank knows is bad.

Return to Top
#1177836 - 05/07/09 03:04 PM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? Skittles
Funky Falcon Offline
100 Club
Minnesota
If the customer's mail is undeliverable, and we have been retaining either the paper copy or electronic copy of the statement, do we have to re-attempt to send a statement if a Reg. E transaction occurs during the month?

Return to Top
#1177870 - 05/07/09 03:18 PM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? Jenn-Lynn
shoeinge Offline
New Poster
We do the same thing as Kitty.

Return to Top
#1178533 - 05/07/09 08:42 PM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? shoeinge
EdieT Offline
EdieT
PA
After 1 returned statement, we place a message on the account so the branch can update the address if the client comes in. After 6 mos of returned mail, we place a hold allowing no debits & close the ATM card, so that if any of the returned mail has fallen into the wrong hands we can prevent fraud. We also flag to stop statements from being mailed. Our accts in PA escheat in 5 years of inactivity.
Hope this helps.

Return to Top
#1417083 - 07/19/10 09:14 PM Re: UNDELIVERABLE MAIL - What do you do? EdieT
morirse de risa Offline
100 Club
Midwest
If the customer's mail is undeliverable, and we have been retaining either the paper copy or electronic copy of the statement, do we have to re-attempt to send a statement if a Reg. E transaction occurs during the month?

Just wondering how those of you who shut off printing after so many returned statements are doing this.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett