Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1159398 - 04/07/09 09:02 PM DO NOT CALL QUESTION
Complianceking Offline
Gold Star
West Coast
This question pertains to the Do Not Call list. It is my understanding that it is okay to contact consumers/or businesses if there's an established business relationship or if one receives express written permission. However, if the phone number of a business is published in a directory from the Chamber of Commerce, can one still contact that business?

Thank you.

Return to Top
Marketing
#1159510 - 04/08/09 12:24 AM Re: DO NOT CALL QUESTION Complianceking
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Unless your State has a law regarding "Do Not Call" requirements, the Federal law only applies to consumers.

Return to Top
#1159534 - 04/08/09 01:43 AM Re: DO NOT CALL QUESTION Complianceking
Complianceking Offline
Gold Star
West Coast
Our bank is located in the state of California, so I am not sure. We are FDIC regulated. I figured since the numbers are published in the Chamber of Commerce Directory that it should not be a problem, but then I couls be wrong. Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Return to Top
#1159569 - 04/08/09 12:16 PM Re: DO NOT CALL QUESTION Complianceking
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I am not an expert on California but I do know that the state has very Consumer friendly laws. I would check for any additional state law.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1159677 - 04/08/09 02:16 PM Re: DO NOT CALL QUESTION edAudit
Noah Wiseman Offline
100 Club
Not sure what it means to have your number published in the Chamber of Commerce Directory so I don't know why that would matter or be any different than just pulling it from a telephone book. Also I can't comment on your state law since I do not know it. I mainly wanted to point out things to be aware of before starting.

Like rlcarey said before, the Do Not Call List under federal law applies residential telephone numbers, including wireless numbers.

But the "TELEMARKETING SALES RULE" defines a person as "any individual, group, unincorporated association, limited or general partnership, corporation, or other business entity." So you may wish to read up on it before starting any telemarketing campaigns.

I am not up on this Rule because fortunately for me, my Bank does not place solicitation calls to consumers who do not meet the EBR or express permission exemptions. I think that the Telemarketing Rule is mainly for interstate calls, but you should read up on it. Also it is an FTC rule, which banks are not normally required to follow, but if the FCC has its own version of it or if the Rule specifically mentions banks as having to comply, then it will apply.

Hope this helps and happy reading smile

Return to Top
#1159937 - 04/08/09 05:02 PM Re: DO NOT CALL QUESTION Noah Wiseman
Complianceking Offline
Gold Star
West Coast
Your comments and input is very much appreciated. I am not about to make decision on this until I gather all of the pertinent facts. By the way, would you happen to have the link to the Telemarketing Sales Rule or a web site link? Once again, thanks.

Regards,

Return to Top
#1160178 - 04/08/09 07:52 PM Re: DO NOT CALL QUESTION Complianceking
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
The ftc.gov contains very useful info.

Return to Top
#1160183 - 04/08/09 07:58 PM Re: DO NOT CALL QUESTION BrendaC
Noah Wiseman Offline
100 Club
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=5141469eddd0acf27298dcc3f039ad84&rgn=div5&view=text&node=16:1.0.1.3.34&idno=16

It is TITLE 16--Commercial Practices, CHAPTER I--FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION, SUBCHAPTER A--ORGANIZATION, PROCEDURES AND RULES OF PRACTICE, PART 310—TELEMARKETING SALES RULE

Return to Top
#1160363 - 04/08/09 11:53 PM Re: DO NOT CALL QUESTION Noah Wiseman
Complianceking Offline
Gold Star
West Coast
Excellent! This is great info. Thank you all.

Regards,

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker