Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1160687 - 04/09/09 03:42 PM Refund Anticipation Loans (for Tax Refund)
Banker27 Offline
100 Club
My friend filed his taxes on line and a few weeks later received a check for less than the amount of his refund. He was confused because he thought he had selected automatic deposit. Turns out, it was a refund anticipation loan from a Califonia Bank.

I looked at it and it was incredibly misleading. No where on it did it say it was a loan. No interest rate was disclosed. The only way I could tell that it was a refund anticipation loan was by the tiny print saying how much you would owe if you cashed the check. I googled the name of the company and saw they did much business in refund anticipation loans.

I just don't get it. Shouldn't there be more explanation to the consumer as what this is- an extremely high interest rate loan? Shouldn't there be an interest rate disclosed? It was confusing for me (a bank internal auditor) to figure out what it was. He took it to his bank and they thought it was his tax refund from the IRS!

Has anyone seen these? It just doesn't seem right without more disclosure.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1161206 - 04/10/09 12:03 AM Re: Refund Anticipation Loans (for Tax Refund) Banker27
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It is not right if you have the whole story and a copy should be sent to both States Attorney General's Office or Consumer Protection Agency.

Return to Top
#1161307 - 04/10/09 01:19 PM Re: Refund Anticipation Loans (for Tax Refund) rlcarey
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
In 2004 this was a big customer service issue for H&R Block and then a problem for Jackson Hewitt. I suggest checking the wesite for the Co that issured the "loan" and check with the your States Attorney General's office and the office of where the Co is located. There are laws set up to protect the consumer.

CAMS

Return to Top
#1161534 - 04/10/09 03:48 PM Re: Refund Anticipation Loans (for Tax Refund) edAudit
Banker27 Offline
100 Club
Thanks for the replies. I wonder what my friend did when filing his taxes to have this sent?

Return to Top
#1163405 - 04/14/09 08:34 PM Re: Refund Anticipation Loans (for Tax Refund) Banker27
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1163421 - 04/14/09 08:56 PM Re: Refund Anticipation Loans (for Tax Refund) Andy_Z
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Andy - I almost went to work for them last fall in this area as compliance officer. They really are a good bank.

Return to Top
#1163429 - 04/14/09 09:03 PM Re: Refund Anticipation Loans (for Tax Refund) Skittles
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I suppose with your guidance they could have been a little bit better. At least in this area. smile

This is just one area. The hardest thing is dealing with a RAL, from when I looked at them, was that they generally do pay quickly. While the APR can be based on a year, when the maturity isn't specified, the real return can be lucrative. ANd consumers jump on this all the time.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#1163431 - 04/14/09 09:05 PM Re: Refund Anticipation Loans (for Tax Refund) Andy_Z
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
And you have to be very careful not to extend that kind of loan to an individual protected under the DoD rules on lending to servicemembers and their dependents.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top