Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1162087 - 04/10/09 11:40 PM Suspended Corporation
mrSaint Offline
mrSaint
California
Has anyone taking action (close account, freeze account, etc.) when they have discovered that a corporation's status has been suspended by the Secretary of State.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#1162106 - 04/11/09 12:39 PM Re: Suspended Corporation mrSaint
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Not in our neck of the woods. However, it is based on the risk to the bank. Seeing as how you are in California, you would have to check State law to see if you had any liability to continue to provide them deposit or loan services. That is not saying that a bank may not take a specific action on a customer, but it is not something routinely monitored unless they are doing something, like getting a new loan, etc.

Return to Top
#1163098 - 04/14/09 04:23 PM Re: Suspended Corporation mrSaint
Tom at HOME Offline
Diamond Poster
The problem is more with the corporation and its directors and officers and has little effect on the corporation’s depository institution. The officers and directors can now be personally liable for actions of the corporation and the corporation cannot sue in its own name.

That is a big problem for the Corp but not much for you.

Return to Top
#1163159 - 04/14/09 05:04 PM Re: Suspended Corporation mrSaint
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
As noted, you might realize a corporation has "lapsed" or is "not in good standing" etc. when you are opening deposit account, making a loan, reviewing a line of credit, or reviewing an exemption from CTR filing.

If it's a new relationship, I suggest you tell them to come back when they have resolved the problem. If it's an existing relationship, I suggest you draw it to the customer's attention in a "helpful" tone, but indicate you do expect them to fix it and stay abreast of the situation until they do.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett